Sox sign Orlando Hudson

flavum

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
The question is how long was it bothering him for? Is it something that happened and had to do with his poor play? The optimist in me hopes that is the case. His swing looked really good in spring (I realize its spring) but the swing looked good, which is what I care about (vs. results).

I can't say for certain, but I'm going to guess it's been a whole year thing coming to a head now.

He put some good swings on the ball earlier in the year but then the strikeouts started. He has never, ever piled up the strikeouts like he has this year...and my guess is that's related to his back...not able to get down and rotate fully on the ball strongly.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
I can't say for certain, but I'm going to guess it's been a whole year thing coming to a head now.

He put some good swings on the ball earlier in the year but then the strikeouts started. He has never, ever piled up the strikeouts like he has this year...and my guess is that's related to his back...not able to get down and rotate fully on the ball strongly.

Which at least means Morel might have a chance to be a solid player (not that I would have written him off based upon 1.5 months worth of play). The important thing now is for him to take time off and heal. No point in having him play, given the fact that he's been completely unproductive with the injury, until he's 100% or close to 100%.

I really believe Morel will be a solid big league 3rd baseman. In fact, I can't think of a player I'd be more wrong about then Morel (based upon the 1st month and a half of the season). He's too solid all around not to be a big leaguer for a # of years.

Nothing Brent Morel has done at the MLB level has convinced me he'll be a good major league ballplayer. He's had what, 800 at bats now? Not much production in there. If he has been hurt for over a year now, it seems unlikely he'll get healthy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
Name a better one.

Better yet, name someone who won't cost any talent from our side and who will earn the minimum.

That narrows the list quite considerably.

Brandon Inge was the other guy out there, and he was claimed by the A's or you have to think KW would have taken him.

But they certainly weren't willing to pay any of Inge's 2012 salary or trade talent for him before he was released, that's for sure.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Better yet, name someone who won't cost any talent from our side and who will earn the minimum.

That narrows the list quite considerably.

Brandon Inge was the other guy out there, and he was claimed by the A's or you have to think KW would have taken him.

But they certainly weren't willing to pay any of Inge's 2012 salary or trade talent for him before he was released, that's for sure.

McPherson and Johnson were options but neither of them exactly have a rep as being able to field the ball at 3b or hitting in the bigs.

They're not going to bring in Orlando Hudson to sit behind Brent Lillibridge or Eduardo Escobar.

KW wouldn't have signed him with the promise to sit him on the bench.

100% he said 3B is yours as long as you produce something at least halfway decent...that Morel will be either on the DL or assigned to Charlotte for an extended period of time and that they're 100% back into "win now" mode for 2012.

Edited by caulfield12

I'll believe it when I see it....Orlando Hudson sitting on the bench while Escobar's playing 3B everyday, or even Lillibridge.

Guillen would have played O-Dog everyday over the younger players, and it's a pretty good bet that Ventura will go with him and see if he can get hot and spark the top of the line-up. Nobody has fit into that 2 hole this season, and Hudson profiles pretty well there.