Sox sign Orlando Hudson

flavum

I would be shocked if we signed Hudson to be a one position backup player.

You start him at third as a kind of trial, and bring Morel back after DL stint if need be. If Hudson plays well, you just demote Morel after the DL stint. If Hudson plays well and Beckham really regresses, you could give Morel some more AB's and platoon Beckham, sending down Lillibridge or Escobar.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 19, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
I'd say unlikely, though Hudson's been strictly a 2nd baseman his whole career.

An, although there's really no correlation, the only time Beckham has provided any offense was when he played 3B. Personally, I would move Beckham to 3rd and let Hudson play 2nd. Hudson has shown to be a good 2b and never played 3rd while Beckham has shown the ability to play 3b at the MLB level. I don't think the Sox will make this move but I would. Who knows maybe Beckham finds a comfort level and starts hitting. I don't see how it could hurt. In hindsight, it seems pretty absurd that Beckham was moved to open up a spot for Teahen.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 19, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
An, although there's really no correlation, the only time Beckham has provided any offense was when he played 3B. Personally, I would move Beckham to 3rd and let Hudson play 2nd. Hudson has shown to be a good 2b and never played 3rd while Beckham has shown the ability to play 3b at the MLB level. I don't think the Sox will make this move but I would. Who knows maybe Beckham finds a comfort level and starts hitting. I don't see how it could hurt. In hindsight, it seems pretty absurd that Beckham was moved to open up a spot for Teahen.

Beckham was playing out of position at third base. It's not the right position for his defensive skillset and raises the expectations for his bat tremendously. I don't see a reason to mess with him right now. Orlando Hudson is expendable -- if you f*** him over by moving him out of position, who cares? He's 34 and signed for the league minimum.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
Beckham was playing out of position at third base. It's not the right position for his defensive skillset and raises the expectations for his bat tremendously. I don't see a reason to mess with him right now. Orlando Hudson is expendable -- if you f*** him over by moving him out of position, who cares? He's 34 and signed for the league minimum.

I see your point. BUt I'd just try something. I don't see how the expectations for his bat can be raised when the other 2 guys playing 3B that he'd be replacing haven't hit .160. Plus, it's not like Beckham has cemented his place on the roster at 2b either. If he doesn't hit this year, he's probably a utility IF at best anyway.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 19, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
i thought it would be Hudson taking the place of Escobar as a backup infielder. Escobar surely needs to be sent down, right? He can't hit. Like not at all.

I think that's the likely scenario. Escobar switch hits so does Hudson but does he have the arm for 3rd base ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 19, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
I think that's the likely scenario. Escobar switch hits so does Hudson but does he have the arm for 3rd base ?

I'm guessing anyone that was once regarded as one of the best defensive second basemen in the league can play an adequate third base. See Omar Vizquel -- not good, but good enough

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
I'm guessing anyone that was once regarded as one of the best defensive second basemen in the league can play an adequate third base. See Omar Vizquel -- not good, but good enough

This. And he played 200+ games at third in the minors, I dont think he'd be there that many games if he doesn't.

It's worth noting that article says he agreed to take the BACKUP role with the White Sox over starting elsewhere, I think I was pushing to get him in 08, like Balta said, Kenny always gets his guy. With that said, if they end up DL'ing Morel, I want Hudson playing 3B and hitting ninth.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 20, 2012 -> 02:02 AM)
It's worth noting that article says he agreed to take the BACKUP role with the White Sox over starting elsewhere, I think I was pushing to get him in 08, like Balta said, Kenny always gets his guy. With that said, if they end up DL'ing Morel, I want Hudson playing 3B and hitting ninth.

With nothing being official, I'm guessing the article from whitesox.com is being respectfully speculative. You don't want to call out your starting third baseman when you are speaking on behalf the White Sox.

My brother says that they should move Beckham because Hudson is a former All-Star 2B.

My counter was Beckham has been playing Gold Glove D lately and Hudson is older and was just released.

His counter? "Can Beckham hit well enough?"

Who the f*** cares? We're talking about fielding.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 20, 2012 -> 02:34 AM)
My brother says that they should move Beckham because Hudson is a former All-Star 2B.

My counter was Beckham has been playing Gold Glove D lately and Hudson is older and was just released.

His counter? "Can Beckham hit well enough?"

Who the f*** cares? We're talking about fielding.

Move Beckham to 3B or move as in trade?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 20, 2012 -> 01:47 AM)
Move Beckham to 3B or move as in trade?

Moving Beckham now makes ZERO sense.

In the future, Lillibridge is the only middle infielder in our system who could claim to put up similar offensive numbers at 2B (to what Beckham has been doing the past month), but he'd be a platoon player against only LHP and there's considerable doubt whether he can handle the position defensively...or definitely questions about his compatibility with Alexei as double-play partners.

You certainly can't "build" around Hudson at 2B or 3B and get rid of Beckham.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2012 -> 02:57 AM)

In the future, Lillibridge is the only middle infielder in our system who could claim to put up similar offensive numbers at 2B (to what Beckham has been doing the past month), but he'd be a platoon player against only LHP and there's considerable doubt whether he can handle the position defensively...or definitely questions about his compatibility with Alexei as double-play partners.

Oh I agree, just Quinavry's brother argument about hitting made no sense if he was talking about moving him to 3B, he's still in the lineup.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 20, 2012 -> 02:59 AM)
Oh I agree, just Quinavry's brother argument about hitting made no sense if he was talking about moving him to 3B, he's still in the lineup.

Moving him to 3B.

It's because O-Dog is a former All-Star 2B.

...and?

He's a bigger Ozzie disciple than anyone (yes, even Greg), so I don't try to understand what he thinks in baseball terms.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2012 -> 03:57 AM)

I don't think the Sox can, or should, count on building around Beckham either. For the month of May he's hitting .250 and still only .206 for the year. I know May has been good by his standards but it wouldn't preclude me from moving him at all. Beckham is a very good defensive 2B but it's not that good to make up for a .604 ops. I don't think the Sox will move him to 3B but I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. I mean would the Sox really be any worse off with Hudson playing 2B rather than Beckham? My thought is, why not try moving him? Maybe it will shake him up and get some production. It probably won't but he's not a fixture at 2B. Like, I said earlier, if he doesn't hit this year then he's likely an utility IF in the future anyway.

To me it doesn't really matter who plays 3B, Beckham or Hudson. I'll be quite happy if I don't ever have to watch Morel face MLB pitching again. I think if the Sox could somehow fix 3B that they could legitimately challenge for the Central Division. Looking around the league, I can't see the Sox acquiring anything of significance so maybe roll the ice with the current roster and see if a move may produce results.

Yeah, I feel zero confidence about Beckham being on the team in 2014 or 2015, but we do know that Hudson won't be on the team then, either.

So it's easier to ask Hudson to move IMO.

Ask any big leaguer, they'd all rather start everyday rather than sit on the bench.

Taking away Beckham's defense from 2B, putting him a position where he doesn't feel very comfortable...messing up the chemistry between Beckham and Ramirez up the middle that's developed over the last 3+ years, don't think you want to mess with it.

Omar Vizquel showed he could play a decent 3B and really improved Alexei's confidence when he was there...not that Hudson would be an improvement on Brent Morel, but he should be able to play the position at a fairly competent level, just like Uribe adjusted, Escobar adjusted off SS too, it's better than putting Viciedo back there and sticking Hudson in the OF, that's for sure.

And we need a #2 hitter in the line-up badly, so that's the other reason that Hudson should be starting over Lillibridge and Escobar.

Plus, he spent the 2010 season with Twins and is fairly familiar with the AL Central.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 20, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Am I the only one who's liked the way Gordon's looked at the plate the past few weeks?

He's looked great at the plate all month. I'd hate to see him moved to 3rd, as I want to see him continue his strong focus at the plate. He's someone in the past that seems to have struggled with his thought process at the plate, and moving to 3rd might distract him.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 20, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
Besides not laying off some high fastballs, he has squared it up a little better.

A little better? This is a guy who seemed content to pop it up to the first baseman during April. He has 3 homers this month, could have easily had 2 more, and has hit numerous line drives right at the right fielder.