It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

I watched tonight's game on mlb and listened to Hawk/Stoney.

Truthfully they were a pleasure to listen to.

Hawk does a great job in expressing excitement and he says interesting s***.

I feel sorry for those of you who can't appreciate the team of Hawk/Stoney. Seriously.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
I watched tonight's game on mlb and listened to Hawk/Stoney.

Truthfully they were a pleasure to listen to.

Hawk does a great job in expressing excitement and he says interesting s***.

I feel sorry for those of you who can't appreciate the team of Hawk/Stoney. Seriously.

I agree, if you're watching the game just mute him. You don't need play by play for something you're watching unless you have comprehension issues.

I blame this f***ing thread because something happened to me watching the highlights of last night's game and I suddenly grew very annoyed with Hawk's home run exuberance. I don't mind the call, just don't blow a freakin' gasket for a home run hit during a regular season game...in the middle innings, no less. You listen to his calls from the 90s and he wasn't like this. Don't need a "Mercy!" on each one either. Ah s***! See, this thread ruined me!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 26, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
I blame this f***ing thread because something happened to me watching the highlights of last night's game and I suddenly grew very annoyed with Hawk's home run exuberance. I don't mind the call, just don't blow a freakin' gasket for a home run hit during a regular season game...in the middle innings, no less. You listen to his calls from the 90s and he wasn't like this. Don't need a "Mercy!" on each one either. Ah s***! See, this thread ruined me!

I think he goes a little too crazy on Tank's homers. He really should edit himself on the A bomb thing since it's being used by the Yankees and makes more sense for A-Rod.

I didn't mind Hawk's homer calls last night.

Seems like stretch is becoming a part of most home runs. With most of the bombs lately he doesn't even need the stretch.

I'm nitpicking though. I loved last night's broadcast. He and Stoney were flowing.

As an out of town fan I have to say I enjoy watching the Sox on WGN more than anywhere else and that is due to the fact I enjoy the Hawk. Most of the other announcers I hear are quite dull and lifeless, Hawk adds some fun and life to the broadcast.

Now having said that he is going a little over the top nowadays and is at risk of becoming a parody of himself. I miss the days when Tom Paciorek was in the both with him, they were always fun to listen to.

Edited by supernuke

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
His catchphrases are what bridge the generations...it's also why Chris Berman had his time, with his nicknames. Here's the difference, though...

Chris Berman doesn't do it anymore for whatever reason.

Hawk has evolved. He doesn't really give out nicknames anymore (even though they were much better that the constant song references that Berman had), but Hawk has also refreshed, added new, dropped other catchphrases. Sure he has his usual that are on the sound board, but there have been some new ones like "Stretch." (whether you like it or hate it, it's newer)

As far as I'm concerned, Hawk has earned the right to stay in that booth as long as he wants. He doesn't hurt the team, he isn't losing viewers, and if anything, the addition of Steve Stone has been the best thing to happen to him since Wimpy left.

The 2005 post season taught us a lot about Berman and Hawk. Berman is bad doing play by play and couldn't hold in that East Coast bias. It's sad that people did not get to hear Hawk for that post season.

I hate it when he calls Stone, stone pony.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 26, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
The 2005 post season taught us a lot about Berman and Hawk. Berman is bad doing play by play and couldn't hold in that East Coast bias. It's sad that people did not get to hear Hawk for that post season.

I hate it when he calls Stone, stone pony.

Hawk did not create that one...Stone has been called that since his pitching days.

I'm with those who get fed up with Hawk until I am forced to listen to a national broadcast of a Sox game, although one guy I don't mind is Jon Miller (but I'm sure others can't stand him.)

Suddenly there is a great big boring hole in the White Sox television "experience". And that includes the absence of Stone, who mitigates the Hawk's excesses nicely.

Certainly much easer to hit mute than stress over a guy who has absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game even though he truly believes he does.

If Hawk gets absolutely intolerable, hey, buy a ticket and head out to the Cell, where Gene Honda will be happy to burst an eardrum for you.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 28, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
Today was very enjoyable. It's always fun to have Wimpy up there for a series.

The two of them together really have a fun time...perhaps because they know it will be short-lived...but it's just like the two of them sitting at the bar bulls***ting about the good ole' days...and I love it.

Wimpy's slap-happy sort of humor also cracks me up.