It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Why should I be forced to watch the game on mute because the announcer is a senile old man?

That's you're opinion. You don't have to watch at all. You can always turn on the radio, or spend $12 on AT BAT 12 and listen to the feed from the other team. Why should I not be able to listen to the Score during the houres Boers and Bernstein are on because I think their act is 8th grade? You don't like it, you don't have to listen to it. Welcome to the USA.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Why should I be forced to watch the game on mute because the announcer is a senile old man?

Speaking of....I was watching the Dodgers game last night as I went to sleep, as I often do, because I love Vin Scully and last night we had Gallardo going against Kershaw.

A few times, Scully didn't have a clue what was going on. The Brewers had runners on 2nd and 3rd in a 1-0 game where the Dodgers were leading. Carlos Gomez hits a single to left field, and both runs easily score. However, Scully, in his advanced age, says something to the effect of "and the runner will score from third and we have a tie ballgame..." It took him about 15 seconds to even recognize another run had scored and the Brewers were now actually leading 2-1. I'm sure the producer was in his ear telling him this.

Later the same inning, a Brewer hit a ball down the right field line that was clearly fair. Scully says something like "And that is a flyball that will eventually end up coming down in foul territory...and Ethier makes the catch, crossing over the line into fair territory at the last moment..." Meanwhile, the ball was never foul, Ethier never went into foul territory, and caught the ball clearly well in fair territory.

The point is, Scully makes mistakes like this all the time, and I am sure it annoys the hell out of the younger Dodger fans. However, Scully is an absolute legend in the industry and I'm certain the older Dodgers fans simply adore him. I know I tune in specifically to hear him call games, because it's like music to my ears. And I'm not even a Dodger fan.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
Whatever. If you need someone telling you what is going on when you are watching a baseball game, you aren't as baseball-wise as you think you are. Hawk is basically there to entertain and inform, and teach. Whether you want to admit it or not, you have learned a lot about baseball listening to Hawk over the years.

Hawk teaches kids these days about dinosaur baseball players with made-up and overly exaggerated information. Kids these days know that Carlos Delgado and Dayan Viciedo have the fastest bat speed in the history of the game.

Hawk doesn't really educate about much these days. He speaks with confidence - great. I'd reckon 70% of what he says is pretty inaccurate.

Edited by Steve9347

That being said - I have obviously been enjoying Hawk lately. We're in the middle of an 8-game winning streak and he and Wimpy were fantastic together. They were amazing.

Hopefully things stay positive. I wish he were as fun with Stoney as he is with Wimpy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
Speaking of....I was watching the Dodgers game last night as I went to sleep, as I often do, because I love Vin Scully and last night we had Gallardo going against Kershaw.

A few times, Scully didn't have a clue what was going on. The Brewers had runners on 2nd and 3rd in a 1-0 game where the Dodgers were leading. Carlos Gomez hits a single to left field, and both runs easily score. However, Scully, in his advanced age, says something to the effect of "and the runner will score from third and we have a tie ballgame..." It took him about 15 seconds to even recognize another run had scored and the Brewers were now actually leading 2-1. I'm sure the producer was in his ear telling him this.

Later the same inning, a Brewer hit a ball down the right field line that was clearly foul. Scully says something like "And that is a flyball that will eventually end up coming down in foul territory...and Ethier makes the catch, crossing over the line into fair territory at the last moment..." Meanwhile, the ball was never foul, Ethier never went into foul territory, and caught the ball clearly well in fair territory.

The point is, Scully makes mistakes like this all the time, and I am sure it annoys the hell out of the younger Dodger fans. However, Scully is an absolute legend in the industry and I'm certain the older Dodgers fans simply adore him. I know I tune in specifically to hear him call games, because it's like music to my ears. And I'm not even a Dodger fan.

Just because he is a legend doesn't mean those young Dodger fans are necessarily wrong. Just like with any job, sometimes time passes people up. I used to enjoy listening to Hawk, but those days have passed, it happens. (I don't listen to Scully, so I can't comment on him, just generalizing)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Just because he is a legend doesn't mean those young Dodger fans are necessarily wrong. Just like with any job, sometimes time passes people up. I used to enjoy listening to Hawk, but those days have passed, it happens. (I don't listen to Scully, so I can't comment on him, just generalizing)

Oh I understand...and I wasn't trying to state whether or not I thought anyone was necessarily "wrong." I don't think Steve and those who agree with him are "wrong" about Hawk -- it's a matter of opinion.

I'm just trying to point out that there is more than one perspective here...those that Hawk wears on because they aren't familiar with Hawk's "time zone," those that appeciate Hawk because they are from his "time zone," those that are annoyed by his homer schtick, and those that love him for it.

No one is wrong here.

It's not black and white, either.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
Oh I understand...and I wasn't trying to state whether or not I thought anyone was necessarily "wrong." I don't think Steve and those who agree with him are "wrong" about Hawk -- it's a matter of opinion.

I'm just trying to point out that there is more than one perspective here...those that Hawk wears on because they aren't familiar with Hawk's "time zone," those that appeciate Hawk because they are from his "time zone," those that are annoyed by his homer schtick, and those that love him for it.

No one is wrong here.

It's not black and white, either.

What are you talking about? It's the internet, I'm always right and everyone else is always wrong!

The interview audio is at the link.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/31/haw...nt-what-i-said/

(WSCR) If you think Ken “Hawk” Harrelson is backing down from his blasting of umpire Mark Wegner Wednesday, you are dead wrong.

“I said what I said and I meant what I said,” Hawk told The Mully And Hanley Show Thursday morning.

The White Sox television broadcaster went off on Wegner during Wednesday’s game after the home plate umpire threw pitcher Jose Quintana out of the game for throwing behind the Rays’ Ben Zobrist. Hawk said Wegner should be suspended and sent back to umpire school, among other things.

A much calmer Hawk talked exclusively with Mully and Hanley Thursday, but the anger had hardly subsided.

“First of all, I still have a headache because I got so upset yesterday,” he said. “I took four Advil after that inning was over and then I had to take four more on the plane and then when I got home last night I had to take four more. Also, when I got up this morning, I had to take four more.”

As for the play, his stance hasn’t changed.

“We had two guys drilled, none of their guys got thrown at, none of their guys left their feet and then all the sudden we throw at Zobrist, which was below the belt about knee high behind him, and he throws Quintana out? Give me a break,” the broadcaster said.

So should Wegner have issued warnings after A.J. Pierzynski was hit earlier in the game?

“Sure he should have. That’s what a good major league umpire would have done,” Hawk said. “You issue the warnings after A.J. got hit, that’s it, we’re done. Let’s play some baseball.”

He also took issue with the Rays throwing at Pierzynski in the first place, which was presumably a result of the catcher sliding spikes high into the second base the night before.

“If (Rays manager Joe Maddon) is trying to say that it’s wrong to try to break up a double play in a close ballgame, then shame on him,” Hawk said.

The White Sox went on to sweep the Rays and win their eighth game in a row, but you would hardly know it talking to the White Sox broadcaster.

“It was a good series, but the guy should not have thrown Quintana out it’s just that simple,” he said. “It was a mistake.”

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
That's definitely true about Bernstein. I think Terry's age has caught up with him (kinda like Hawk). Occasionally there will be a discussion where Terry will say something intelligent that shows you why has been kept around for so long. Then all of a sudden he will yell "By Cracky!" and then so much for that momoent.

Call them up and ask the win expectancy of the White Sox for the playoffs today and then ask them to stop thinking everything can be rationalized through numbers. They cannot wait for the Sox to lose so they can put down every fan that had hope to start this season. They like that Len & Bob talk about advanced metrics. I watch the game and have a computer on. I do not need Hawk to tell me what Dunn's OPS or Floyd's FIP is, I have that in front of me. The fans that care about advanced metrics know them and that is a minority as compared to those that are listening for Hawk to be Hawk. I watched the game with my kids last night and we all got a kick out of it. That is eactly what I wanted to say and do.

B&B never played hockey and because there is no tangible way of proving that fighting settles anything, they will tell you unquestionably that you are wrong if you think there is benefit.

Same with throwing at a batter. Serves no purpose yet every team does it. Don Copper is an idiot because he does not express his opinions concise enough for them.

That show has gotten down to the point where the advanced metrics takes place over everything.

Oh and they also believe that professional basketball is very entertaining, why, because they say so. Say otherwise and you are a fool.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
Hawk teaches kids these days about dinosaur baseball players with made-up and overly exaggerated information. Kids these days know that Carlos Delgado and Dayan Viciedo have the fastest bat speed in the history of the game.

Hawk doesn't really educate about much these days. He speaks with confidence - great. I'd reckon 70% of what he says is pretty inaccurate.

I love stuff about dinosaurs and baseball history. One of my favorite television experiences was the Ken Burns special. And I don't think it matters that I might be considered a dinosaur (60 years young). I have always found pictures and film and stories of the old days magical. I have seen every White Sox game on cable in Canada for the last 7 years. 50% of the time the announcers represent the bad guys - bummer. I loved Hawk's rant. I only got to see it in replay. I was forced to watch the Tampa announcers when it happened. They had no reaction when Quintana was tossed. I wanted to reach into the TV and strangle them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Maybe calm the f*** down & don't scream like a banshee about your personal vendetta vs. Wegner that you have held for 10 years? I disagreed with the call too, but acting a fool like that is just stupid IMO.

What's wrong with screaming like a banshee when the ump made one of the worst calls I've ever seen? It was great TV and great announcing. But some fans can't enjoy that moment?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
You can't compare Hawk vs. B & B.

I listen to B & B to entertain me in my car as I drive home from work and/or run errands. If they annoy me, I can change the channel and listen to music instead. As soon as I pull in the garage, the radio is off and I am done with them.

Hawk is the play-by-play guy for White Sox baseball, and the only one I can listen to when I want to watch a game on TV. I can't choose a different announcer.

Buy MLB.com and listen to most of those plastic hacks. We are so lucky to have Hawk n Stone.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)

He's not senile. That interview today was GREAT. hawk didn't back down.Hawk Harrelson is a legend and the best IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
I know I tune in specifically to hear him call games, because it's like music to my ears. And I'm not even a Dodger fan.

Vinny may be losing a step or two, but I hope some soxtalkers get the chance listen to his call of the sox series coming up in a few weeks. Chances are they'll learn something new about some Sox player and/or coach that they never knew. Used to be that you'd be sitting in Dodger stadium and still listening to Vinny because so many people had little transistor radios tuned in to him. His voice just seemed to be everywhere. It was great! Not too long ago I sat next to an older couple and the woman had one in her lap while she kept score. It was nice to hear again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
Hawk will go into the broadcast wing of the HOF someday.

No doubt.

Which doesn't mean you have to like the Hawk, or even that he's any good.

But here's the thing. Broadcast revenues are absolutely critical to an attendance-challenged team like the Sox. I am certain that front-office management has focused-grouped him to death and used anecdotal evidence of his popularity as well. There is an index called a Q-Score that objectively rates celebrities' popularity but a search didn't turn up any sports broadcasters.

It's also worth keeping in mind how difficult it is to do 150+, ~ three-hour games a season. The national baseball guys do one per week, and other sports' local guys max out at 4/week. There is also more actual air time to fill in a baseball broadcast since there there is more "air" to fill due to the pace of the game. (The great hockey play-by-play guys are a breed apart...)

He's certainly a homer, but isn't that part of what it means to be an announcer employed by the team he brodcasts for? At least he's usually not boring, cliches and all. Some of the so-called pros out there are absolute zombies.

As I said earlier in this thread, he can drive me nuts at times but I desperately miss him when he's not on. And I couldn't care less what the national media think or say about him. Being a lifelong Sox fan in Cub-Crazy Chicago gave me immunity.

In fact, considering our success and the Guillen family's departure, i believe that for the Sox there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Edited by 11and1

QUOTE (11and1 @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
As I said earlier in this thread, he can drive me nuts at times but I desperately miss him when he's not on. And I couldn't care less what the national media think or say about him. Being a lifelong Sox fan in Cub-Crazy Chicago gave me immunity.

There it is...perfect description.

Hawk is a bozo. We are the third largest city in the United States and we have some rube relic regaling us with unending tales of back when HE played, which was back before cars could go up hills. If I have to hear his rube-isms one more time--"dadgummit, can of corn, Bolingbrook bounce, right size wrong shape"--I'm going to throw up in my mouth.

His rant was classic yesterday, but in a trainwreck sort of way. It's gone viral not because people admire it, but because Hawk is a punchline. Wasn't he noted as the #1 worst sportscaster in the league by some magazine?

When you listen to a decent broadcast team--and yes, that would be the Cubs'--you realize what a clown Hawk is. The same Hawk who proclaimed at the beginning of the season, as Becks was busy screwing himself into the dirt striking out with his lousy mechanics: "There's absolutely nothing wrong with his mechanics!" To which Steve Stone replied: *crickets*

I do love his home run call but that's not enough to endorse him anymore. We need somebody new. I'd like to think we're a bit more sophisticated than having Ole' Hawkeroo spray us with his down-south sensibility night after night. We're not down south, we're in Chicago.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Hawk is a bozo. We are the third largest city in the United States and we have some rube relic regaling us with unending tales of back when HE played, which was back before cars could go up hills. If I have to hear his rube-isms one more time--"dadgummit, can of corn, Bolingbrook bounce, right size wrong shape"--I'm going to throw up in my mouth.

His rant was classic yesterday, but in a trainwreck sort of way. It's gone viral not because people admire it, but because Hawk is a punchline. Wasn't he noted as the #1 worst sportscaster in the league by some magazine?

When you listen to a decent broadcast team--and yes, that would be the Cubs'--you realize what a clown Hawk is. The same Hawk who proclaimed at the beginning of the season, as Becks was busy screwing himself into the dirt striking out with his lousy mechanics: "There's absolutely nothing wrong with his mechanics!" To which Steve Stone replied: *crickets*

I do love his home run call but that's not enough to endorse him anymore. We need somebody new. I'd like to think we're a bit more sophisticated than having Ole' Hawkeroo spray us with his down-south sensibility night after night. We're not down south, we're in Chicago.

That's funny, because I when I listen to a Cubs broadcast, I have to turn it out of boredom. Those two would make better money selling cures to insomnia.

Hawk has life. He enjoys the game of baseball. THAT'S why he was so fired up at Wegner. Not because it was the Sox. Sure, if the whole situation was reversed and Cobb got the boot, Hawk wouldn't have been pissed, but I have a feeling he still would have been upset.

These other guys calling games for other teams, many have never played before...that's what I like about Hawk, he calls the game like a player, not like a guy who went to school for it (sorry SoxFan1). Brenly is ok, but Len is boring as s***.

I do like the three person booth idea, if only because it harkens back to the Hamilton/Lloyd/Boudreau days with the Cubs. Those were good 'casts...those were the days when my dad would have ANY game on in the car.