It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
When you listen to a decent broadcast team--and yes, that would be the Cubs'--you realize what a clown Hawk is.

Man, I just don't see how you find those guys interesting to listen to. Brenley's okay at times, but overall, they bring nothing to the game for me.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Ken Harrelson - "Dayan Viciedo is a stronger version of Paul Konerko."

That comparison makes zero sense. None.

He can turn on an inside fastball just as quickly and has greater opposite field power along with the ability to take outside pitches to right side as opposed to rolling them over to the left side of the infield. Typical hawk hyperbole but not exactly zero sense.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
That's my whole point. They are replaying it everywhere nationally, to laugh AT him, not to show how good of an announcer he is. They kept replaying it on B & B, and I was laughing my ass off too because of how crazy & senile Hawk is.

I know. But that was so damn epic. He's been here for 57234712374 years. May as well tolerate him. It's like Wite. You want him to vanish but he keeps coming back. At least Hawk will be dead soon.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
I know. But that was so damn epic. He's been here for 57234712374 years. May as well tolerate him. It's like Wite. You want him to vanish but he keeps coming back. At least Hawk will be dead soon.

LOL. This is easily the best pro-Hawk argument anyone has made in this entire thread.

Whats funny is when Hawk's time comes there's not a single person on this board who won't miss him. There will be plenty of times when the Sox do something awesome and you'll sit there and think "I wish Hawk called that moment"

Hawk is White Sox baseball.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 31, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
I saw during the game thread that Farmer was ranting a bit, too. Did anyone hear what he was said? I'm sure it was nothing compared to Hawk's, though.

He was pretty upset, especially about the lack of warnings given beforehand. I can't remember specifically what he was saying, but he was fuming about it.

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
Whats funny is when Hawk's time comes there's not a single person on this board who won't miss him. There will be plenty of times when the Sox do something awesome and you'll sit there and think "I wish Hawk called that moment"

This is so true. They replayed all of Sale's strikeouts on the score the other day using Farmer's radio calls, and you would have thought that Farmer was the Tampa announcer with this lack of enthusiasm he displayed.

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 31, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)

When Phil Humber threw the perfect game, never once did Hawk cross my mind.

Hawk to Sox baseball now is the same as what Ozzie was to Sox baseball the last two seasons. There were some great times, his legacy will never be forgotten, but it's definitely time for a change.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)

Hawk to Sox baseball now is the same as what Ozzie was to Sox baseball the last two seasons. There were some great times, his legacy will never be forgotten, but it's definitely time for a change.

Really? There is no comparison between a broadcaster and a manager. I will say this again...

Familiarity breeds contempt.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 31, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
Really? There is no comparison between a broadcaster and a manager. I will say this again...

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Like with Pat Foley? He has been announcing for a similar time period and I observe very little contempt in his direction.

I absolutely wished Hawk called Humber's game as I'm sure a lot of people here did as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Like with Pat Foley? He has been announcing for a similar time period and I observe very little contempt in his direction.

Google Pat Foley sucks, you'll see many of the same complaints launched at Hawk.

No one is going to be loved by all, and no one is going to change their opinion based on posts on a message board. There is no one I'd rather hear doing White Sox PBP than Hawk. He pisses me off sometimes, without question, but I love him and his enthusiasm. He's not just collecting a check.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
Google Pat Foley sucks, you'll see many of the same complaints launched at Hawk.

And to them you say:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
That's you're opinion. You don't have to watch at all. You can always turn on the radio, or spend $12 on AT BAT 12 and listen to the feed from the other team. Why should I not be able to listen to the Score during the houres Boers and Bernstein are on because I think their act is 8th grade? You don't like it, you don't have to listen to it. Welcome to the USA.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
And to them you say:

I like Foley too. I just wrote to Google Pat Foley sucks because you apparently believe he doesn't have his detractors. He does. Plenty of them, and the complaints are the same, he's way past his prime, his schtick is old... Every broadcaster has people don't like their style.

Wow are you kidding?

Click here.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)

The situation with Foley is similar to Hawk's: he's increasingly a homer, (but again, anyone employed by the team they cover is a homer) has begun relying on and repeating the same clichés, and most disturbing, has lost a step in describing the action and is making mistakes with players names, etc. as he gets older.

But just like the Hawk, you miss him when he's gone. Unless the game is called by Doc Emerich, the Hawks are unwatchable without Foley. They had a rough year back on TV until they brought Foley back.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:50 PM)

For the life of me I can't understand how a Sox fan could criticize Hawk.

He's so good and such a legend I just don't get it. Must be something about being a Sox fan even after winning the WS.

Hawk to me is beyond criticism. His eruption over that s***ty ump's call was LEGENDARY!

Hawk should be off limits in regard to criticism. It's in bad taste IMO.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
When I was younger I actually was less of a fan then I am of him now. Hes just part of a Sox game, he might be ridiculous sometimes, but at least he actually cares.

Amen brotha; u and El Rockin have the best posts sometimes.