Dmitri Young sells his baseball cards for $2.5 million

Steve9347

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
I bet a decade or so ago, that same collection would have been worth $10-15 million.

Two decades ago - more like.

All '80s star rookies were $75-100.00+ easy then.

Henderson, Ripken, Boggs, Sandberg, Gwynn, Mattingly, Strawberry, Gooden, Clemens, Puckett, Bonds, McGwire, Canseco...

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
Two decades ago - more like.

All '80s star rookies were $75-100.00+ easy then.

Henderson, Ripken, Boggs, Sandberg, Gwynn, Mattingly, Strawberry, Gooden, Clemens, Puckett, Bonds, McGwire, Canseco...

Yeah, the 83-87 heydey, I never got into collecting Bowman, but I had Topps, Donruss and Fleer for all those years.

I have about 25 Fleer 1983 Rookie cards of Gwynn...had a ton of Donruss Sosa rookie cards, too. (Of course, I also looked back and had 25 Hensley Meulens and 50 Juan Gonzalez, virtually worthless now).

Canseco was one of the hottest ones back then (recently gave away the autographed version to a friend from high school whose son loves baseball cards), along with the Mattingly. They 1982 Ripken one (Topps) was one of those where there are 2-3 players on the same card, right?

My biggest regret was probably selling my mint 1969 Nolan Ryan and all my Roberto Clemente cards (at one point, I had every one except for the 1955 rookie) when I was in college, but I probably ended up getting a lot more back then than I would have holding onto them all.