You're KW, what next?

caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Yeah, you're on crack, Balta.

He's not bringing a Jared Mitchell.

This guy has no place in their future and while he does have some value, I think you're exaggerating the hell out of that value.

I don't feel like mitchell has all that much trade value, even with a solid performance so far in the first half of this season. Just for an example, there seem to be plenty of people saying an 18 year old high schooler who can do a backflip would rank higher on a prospect list than him. At least if I'm an opposing GM, there's nothing in the Sox's system I'd backflip over, even Mitchell.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
I don't feel like mitchell has all that much trade value, even with a solid performance so far in the first half of this season. Just for an example, there seem to be plenty of people saying an 18 year old high schooler who can do a backflip would rank higher on a prospect list than him. At least if I'm an opposing GM, there's nothing in the Sox's system I'd backflip over, even Mitchell.

We're talking about Edison Volquez here, not some elite starting pitcher. No one is going to be doing "backflips" for him at the deadline.

As for Mitchell, if he maintains his current performance, he'll easily be a top 100 prospect and not some fringe one. The strikeouts are alarming, but he walks a ton, has elite speed, and actually has legitimate power. He has the potential to be one of the best leadoff hitters in the game. To think few GMs would be interested in him is crazy to me.

And it has taken KW about 12 years to find two good leadoff hitters, Pods and DeAza.

Mitchell's a valuable commodity, especially if he can learn how to steal 20-30 bases. Pair him with Maybin, and you'd have the type of athletes who can cover the gaps defensively and plug the gaps offensively with doubles and triples. Pitching/speed/defense. That's what you need to win in PetCo, and examples like Clayton Richard prove it's fairly easy to find random pitchers who can record sub 4 ERA's in that graveyard.

Volquez would be like Edwin Jackson, minus the expectation of being an ace or eating lots of innings. Last fully healthy season was 2008.

Padres in the overall scheme of thing don't want to pay Carlos Quentin and Volquez anyway...they'd be much better off with Mitchell for six seasons.

Well, you have to do it with Quintana.

Volquez does have enough upside to make it worth it, and that allows you to dump Gavin Floyd if you want.

It's a crapshoot. Floyd will get turned around eventually, the question is how long.

Always tempting when a pitcher with Edinson's talent becomes available to test the "Coop will fix him" theory.

We do have one trading piece. BL. Yes, remember who kw said was the White Sox player most asked about in the winter meetings. it was BL.

I know that he isn't doing much this year. however, guillen played him more often partly bc AD and AR were struggling last season. A lot of NL teams would love to have a guy like BL who can play a lot of positions. he even could start more on a lot of teams.

I could see Beane drooling over a player like BL.

Edited by sunofgold

To be the "most asked about" implies nothing about what was offered (could have been very little from multiple teams)

and to say he's "most asked about" White Sox sadly tells more about our offseason state of affairs than anything it says about Lilli.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
To be the "most asked about" implies nothing about what was offered (could have been very little from multiple teams)

and to say he's "most asked about" White Sox sadly tells more about our offseason state of affairs than anything it says about Lilli.

Any trade value BL had we've now destroyed by 1) putting him in a position where it is very difficult to succeed; and 2) rewarding a somewhat "breakout" season of his by playing him even less.

This isn't to say Brent doesn't shoulder some of the blame himself...he's feeling sorry for himself and trying to hit home runs most of his PAs to convince the coaching staff he should be getting more starts or to become so valuable that we have to move him elsewhere (which we probably should have done last offseason). His swing is quite long again.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)

Yes, we don't know what was offered. But have to think that some of those teams envisioned him as a starter or playing more. I can look at the cuBS and he wouldn't be worse than some of their starters. maybe better if given the chance to play everyday.

All that I am basically saying is that BL could be trading chip. He really isn't fitting in with this team. Robin is using Baby Danks ahead of him in the OF. he wants Dunn to play the field more also and that takes away from possible playing time for Brent.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Any trade value BL had we've now destroyed by 1) putting him in a position where it is very difficult to succeed; and 2) rewarding a somewhat "breakout" season of his by playing him even less.

This isn't to say Brent doesn't shoulder some of the blame himself...he's feeling sorry for himself and trying to hit home runs most of his PAs to convince the coaching staff he should be getting more starts or to become so valuable that we have to move him elsewhere (which we probably should have done last offseason). His swing is quite long again.

He still has trade value. I do agree that he should be focusing less on hitting home runs. If he just puts the ball in play he will get some infield hits. He has a little power but should focus more on utilizing his speed.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
I wouldn't even do Mitchell for Volquez straight up. No f***ing way. Not sure that I'd even do it with Quintana.

Jake, I agree with you I think. I would not do Mitchell for Volquez straight up either because of the injury concerns. I'd consider it if Headley were involved though. What is Trayce Thompson's trade value? I like the idea of Volquez working with Cooper and being able to spin Floyd then after. But I know how bad the Sox system is and that money will be a concern.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
No one is drooling over a 28 year old with no position and no track record of hitting, other than a power surge last year in limited time against favorable matchups.

Who are you referring to? Not Trayce Thompson right.....he is 21 years old...

It would be a minor replacement, but demote Stewart to AAA and bring up either Doyle or Axelrod.

Live with Hudson at 3b until the end of June and see what you have from there.

Humber/Floyd ??? Don't even know. If Humber doesn't have any options, move him to the pen until he gets his act together.

Floyd, IMHO, is still trade bait.

Kenny Williams hasn't made a positive trade since the Carlos Quentin trade. What we don't need is him making more trades. Stick to the waiver wire and call-ups and move upstairs and hand the GM role to someone else. We have so few prospects that we don't need to trade them anyway.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 06:10 AM)
Kenny Williams hasn't made a positive trade since the Carlos Quentin trade. What we don't need is him making more trades. Stick to the waiver wire and call-ups and move upstairs and hand the GM role to someone else. We have so few prospects that we don't need to trade them anyway.

Surely a first place team has never changed general managers.

Also, we've had 13 homegrown players on the major league roster, tops in the AL.

A. Reed

N. Jones

Santiago

Beckham

Morel

Viciedo

Ramirez

Escobar

J. Danks

Axelrod

Quintana

Lillibridge

Flowers

DeAza

The last four came from other organizations but spent some OR significant time in our minor league system, particularly Flowers.

Along with this liist, you can add Santos, Humber (it looked good for over a year), Hudson, McCarthy, Gio, Richard, Harrell, etc. It's sort of impressive that Harrell's 6-4 on one of the worst teams in baseball, that's something. He hasn't been great, but he's been at worst serviceable.

Edited by caulfield12

Edinson Volquez is a lot more likely than Greinke.

The Brewers would never in a million years want Gavin Floyd back to rent for just one and a half seasons....his option's what, $9 or $9.5 million next year?

And they're not going to want Crain or Thornton, either.

They would ask for Mitchell and Viciedo, and probably Nathan Jones if they couldn't get Reed. It's not going to come cheaply for us to pry away a pitcher of that caliber.

My stupid trade idea...

We get Danks back for 4-5 starts, proves he's healthy, and we trade him to Philadelphia with a couple good minor leaguers for Hamels and Polanco.

They get cost certainty for 4 years with Danks and don't have to worry about over-paying Hamels in the off season.

We get a rent-an-ace to go along with Sale and Peavy and don't have to sweat out Danks contract for 4 years.

Plus Polanco would be a very good replacement at 3B and he's not getting paid too much.

How bad is this?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)

I would trade him in a second. I think last year will be his career year easily.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
My stupid trade idea...

We get Danks back for 4-5 starts, proves he's healthy, and we trade him to Philadelphia with a couple good minor leaguers for Hamels and Polanco.

They get cost certainty for 4 years with Danks and don't have to worry about over-paying Hamels in the off season.

We get a rent-an-ace to go along with Sale and Peavy and don't have to sweat out Danks contract for 4 years.

Plus Polanco would be a very good replacement at 3B and he's not getting paid too much.

How bad is this?

Unfortunately, I don't see a team making the decision to pick up a 4.5 year obligation based on a handful of good starts for a pitcher coming off the DL from a sore shoulder.