5/30 Games

flavum

Nestor's May stats have been absolutely brutal.

Keenyn Walker is 2nd in the SALLY in SBs, with 26. Delino Jr has 31.

Game 2 of Kanny's game - Jeff Soptic's one inning, earns the Win.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Castro and Quintana have definitely moved ahead of him in terms of prospect standing, IMO

You could make that argument. Probably the weakest the top prospect in the system has been in a long time, whoever it is.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Castro and Quintana have definitely moved ahead of him in terms of prospect standing, IMO

Some of you guys have such knee-jerk reactions when it comes to prospects. Nestor wasn't going to be a chance on this team until MAYBE sometime next season anyway. If we get to the start of 2014 season and he isn't ready to take a spot at the end of the rotation, then I'll be worried.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Some of you guys have such knee-jerk reactions when it comes to prospects. Nestor wasn't going to be a chance on this team until MAYBE sometime next season anyway. If we get to the start of 2014 season and he isn't ready to take a spot at the end of the rotation, then I'll be worried.

If the parent club was bad (which thankfully they are not), and they trade Peavy and Floyd, and Molina was good at AA, of course he could have come up in the second half.

Where the Sox are now, and where Molina is now, of course not now. But it's not accurate to say he had no chance to be up at some point this season.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)

IIRC, wasn't it KW who is on record saying Molina WOULD have been a callup sometime this year? Can't find the quote, but I thought that was the case.

CORRECTION - it was from the Chicago Tribune.

Williams said pitching prospect Nestor Molina, acquired from the Blue Jays for Santos, could be ready to join the Sox rotation by midseason. By then the Sox should know if they can complete with the defending AL Central champion Tigers, who added slugger Prince Fielder this week.

"Listen, Detroit was going to be formidable anyway with Victor (Martinez) healthy," said Williams, who admitted the signing stunned him. "They just replaced a guy (Martinez) who went down. It must be nice."

mgonzales@tribune.com

It's not the worse thing in the world for Molina to have a little adversity...let's see how he pitches out of it. Remember, in baseball experience, he's still a young one.

BTW - Morel is batting second in the Knights game.

BTW part 2 - T2 is channeling his inner Jared Mitchell with a brual May. Ick. .204/.279/.409/.687 36Ks/93 ABs. http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?p...&pid=572204

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)

Regardless if the Sox need him in the majors this year or not, there's no way to spin his season so far as anything but a massive disappointment. To me, Castro is much more intriguing as a big league pitcher than he is. However, it wouldn't shock me if Molina has a great season next year in AAA.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
First game back, probably only wanted to give him 3 ab's and call it a day.

Seems odd to me, what are you learning about his health if he can't make it through the whole game? I figure the goal has to be as many repetitions as possible to sharpen up for the MLB and prove his good health.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
Seems odd to me, what are you learning about his health if he can't make it through the whole game? I figure the goal has to be as many repetitions as possible to sharpen up for the MLB and prove his good health.

If this is an extended rehab stint (and it should be) then being careful is not a bad idea. I don't want to see him called up after 3 games, take your time.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Regardless if the Sox need him in the majors this year or not, there's no way to spin his season so far as anything but a massive disappointment. To me, Castro is much more intriguing as a big league pitcher than he is. However, it wouldn't shock me if Molina has a great season next year in AAA.

Only a massive disappointment if you expect him to continue his insane 2011 season.

This season he has had a 7.0 K/9. That's solid. He has a 1.8 BB/9. That's very good. He has a K/BB of 3.83, which is very nice. His HR/9 is 0.9. That's solid. His only problem has been the hits. Who knows, that could be bad defense, that could be bad luck.

Is he doing great this season? No. Is he doing bad this year? No. Don't get so caught up in ERA, it's a terrible way to judge a prospect. His peripherals are the most important thing to look at in a box score, and he is doing just fine w/ those, outside of the hits.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
Only a massive disappointment if you expect him to continue his insane 2011 season.

This season he has had a 7.0 K/9. That's solid. He has a 1.8 BB/9. That's very good. He has a K/BB of 3.83, which is very nice. His HR/9 is 0.9. That's solid. His only problem has been the hits. Who knows, that could be bad defense, that could be bad luck.

Is he doing great this season? No. Is he doing bad this year? No. Don't get so caught up in ERA, it's a terrible way to judge a prospect. His peripherals are the most important thing to look at in a box score, and he is doing just fine w/ those, outside of the hits.

He's also a control guy moving up to AA. At lower levels you can get guys out in ways that you lose when you move to higher levels.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ May 30, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
What has gotten into Michael Earley this year? Jesus. .322/.368/.561 in 170+ AB.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?p...&pid=594808

Strangely hitting much better away from BB&T, too. Could be a legit prospect. The Sox had him skip Kanny so maybe they see something in him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
He's also a control guy moving up to AA. At lower levels you can get guys out in ways that you lose when you move to higher levels.

Exactly. That 7 K/9 really isn't all that good. That turns into, what, a 4.5-5 K/9 in the bigs? Not too many successful guys in that range. That's where Buehrle lives, but it's safe to say he's the exception to the rule.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
Brent Morel 2 for 3, but pulled in the seventh. Not sure what's up with that??? Injured???

Typical when a position player rehabs for the White Sox. First few games, 3 AB's then out.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)

We don't know if they're having him work on something specific which is skewing the results. That's why it's very hard to judge pitching prospects, especially ones new to the organization. Obviously the stats aren't exciting right now, but I'd at least wait until the end of this year before jumping to any conclusions.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
Typical when a position player rehabs for the White Sox. First few games, 3 AB's then out.

Yes, just like any strength building program. You start out slow and slowly build it. I imagine they also want him to work on his timing for hitting.

Any idea on how he did in the field? Any fielding chances? This will be as good of an indicator of health as hitting.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
You could make that argument. Probably the weakest the top prospect in the system has been in a long time, whoever it is.

It would have to be Mitchell, right?

Saladino and Thompson have both gone backwards a bit. Molina's stock has to be down a bit, as well.

Castro? He's probably the pitcher with the most upside at this exact moment in time, at least.

Phegley's definitely opened up some eyes to put him on the radar screen for 2013.

Axelrod and Doyle both have climbed, although opinions would vary on their ultimate upsides.

Soptic is someone we're all watching to be the next Nathan Jones.

Between Veal and Hernandez, we've really got a ton of depth in the LHP department.

Rienzo's still on the radar. Carlos Sanchez has to be fighting to be in the 7-10 spot. Ravelo's opened some eyes, minus the power numbers not being there yet.

But our draft pick next week automatically shoots to #1 with a bullet.

Edited by caulfield12