White Sox have flipped from sellers to buyers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jake @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
I hope VMart goes to C with Cabrera at 3B and Prince at 1B. That would make it undeniably the worst defensive IF ever.

I'd be shocked if he went to C coming off that injury. I think you're more likely to see him DH, since that's open.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And given some of the turnarounds we've seen, isn't it possible that Morel, healthy, could somehow start to produce? One can hope. Then we just need to pick up Geoff Blum by the trade deadline and all will be well, because there's no chance in hell of winning it all without Blum.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 31, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
I guess the question becomes the cost.

I wouldn't overpay in terms of talent (no top prospects) and wouldn't give up anything off the major league roster (except Stewart or Escobar). What I'm proposing is a couple of middle tier prospects for him but giving the Red Sox most of the salary relief. Something very similar to the Quentin deal. With their luxury tax concerns, getting a couple young arms and salary relief could be of great value to them. Such a move could allow them enough wiggle room to swing another deal to fix a different area Eof need.

The real question is do the Sox have enough money to pull off such a move. I personally believe the Sox always budget some money for the deadline and could find ways to ways to gain a little more flexibility (ex: give Ohman away). However, this would definitely have to be a near deadline deal to work for us and the Red Sox would probably have to cover the buyout. I don't know if the Red Sox would go for that, but I definitely think it's worth exploring.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ May 31, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
I wonder if the mets would be interested in gavin floyd, jordan danks, nestor molina or simon castro, and a lower level prospect or two for david wright?

I like quintana over floyd right now. And weight as the number two hitter would be great.

I keep reading they want to sign him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
The real question is do the Sox have enough money to pull off such a move. I personally believe the Sox always budget some money for the deadline and could find ways to ways to gain a little more flexibility (ex: give Ohman away). However, this would definitely have to be a near deadline deal to work for us and the Red Sox would probably have to cover the buyout. I don't know if the Red Sox would go for that, but I definitely think it's worth exploring.

I too have a feeling that there's always more than the team makes public.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they save a bundle on MB56? Wouldn't at least some of the payroll reduction be available if things were looking great approaching the break?

Sure the Sox would always like bigger crowds, but I've always found KW's attendance/payroll formula somewhat suspect, as attendance is only part of the revenue stream. Or JR could decide to ante up if he felt a deep post-season run was a real possibility.

But I'm with others here that wouldn't change a thing if the wins keep coming at anywhere near this level.

I can live with the offense. The question for me is will there be a starting pitcher available who could replace Humber in the rotation (for remainder of year) and be a top 3 post-season starter who the Sox could trade for with their 30th ranked farm system?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:05 PM)
I can live with the offense. The question for me is will there be a starting pitcher available who could replace Humber in the rotation (for remainder of year) and be a top 3 post-season starter who the Sox could trade for with their 30th ranked farm system?

But what team has that kind of a pitcher than they're not going to hold out for a bundle?

Someone like a Wandy Rodriguez (just an example) on a team in the bottom 5-10 that's more expensive.

But they're not going to want Gavin Floyd back, obviously. The only two players we could possibly survive trading are probably Thornton and maybe Crain, but we don't want to hurt our bullpen when it seems to be jelling. And bottom tier teams aren't going to want veteran/expensive relievers anyway.

So that leaves the likes of Mitchell, Quintana, Castro, Santiago, Thompson, Saladino...

We're going to be trading away a LOT of our future for a dubious return, because the odds of a #3 starter CLEARLY being better than Floyd is dubious (depending on which Gavin shows up on a given day).

I just don't see the surefire candidate that doesn't cripple the major league roster or our minor leagues.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
And given some of the turnarounds we've seen, isn't it possible that Morel, healthy, could somehow start to produce?

All they need to do is destroy every calendar he has access to and then lie to him that it's mid-September and the Sox have been eliminated from playoff contention. If he starts catching on just laugh at him and tell him that he's crazy.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
Edinson Volquez is someone I could see KW and Cooper liking

Once Miami falls out of the race, I think they have a control lefty with a hefty contract, if we're willing to take that on. ;)

If we really, truly are going to be buyers, I'd have to think we'd target third base or a BP arm.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ May 31, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
I wonder if the mets would be interested in gavin floyd, jordan danks, nestor molina or simon castro, and a lower level prospect or two for david wright?

I like quintana over floyd right now. And weight as the number two hitter would be great.

I don't think Id take anything the chisox have in exchange for Wright if I were the Mets other than Sale.

At this point, we hardly have a clear need. 3B is the closest to it. There are some things that we can see becoming holes, and I'd imagine that will present itself more clearly as time goes on. I sure wouldn't strike quickly to add a player right now while we're so hot and lacking an absolute need (assuming that we should look more in depth at OH and BM at 3B before deciding what to do there)

[before the season started, White Sox general manager Kenny Williams told manager Robin Ventura not to expect more than a .500 season, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. The White Sox expected to trade away veteran players midseason, but the team now sits in first place with a 29-22 record, so Williams plans on adding talent this summer, according to Nightengale.

Jake Peavy would have been available if the White Sox weren’t contending, but he’s now “untouchable.” The White Sox could look for more offense at third base, in my opinion. Veteran second baseman Orlando Hudson is now starting at third, but between Hudson and Brent Morel, White Sox third basemen have the lowest OPS in the Major Leagues (.439) at the position.]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/whit...-midseason.html

Who do you guys think are viable options to help improve this team make the postseason?

We clearly have a need at 3rd. Obviously we know about Youkilis. 2b could also be an option, even though Beckham is showing signs of life lately.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
[before the season started, White Sox general manager Kenny Williams told manager Robin Ventura not to expect more than a .500 season, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. The White Sox expected to trade away veteran players midseason, but the team now sits in first place with a 29-22 record, so Williams plans on adding talent this summer, according to Nightengale.

Jake Peavy would have been available if the White Sox weren’t contending, but he’s now “untouchable.” The White Sox could look for more offense at third base, in my opinion. Veteran second baseman Orlando Hudson is now starting at third, but between Hudson and Brent Morel, White Sox third basemen have the lowest OPS in the Major Leagues (.439) at the position.]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/whit...-midseason.html

Who do you guys think are viable options to help improve this team make the postseason?

We clearly have a need at 3rd. Obviously we know about Youkilis. 2b could also be an option, even though Beckham is showing signs of life lately.

Sorry, computer is slow. Saw other forum. Please merge or close this.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
All they need to do is destroy every calendar he has access to and then lie to him that it's mid-September and the Sox have been eliminated from playoff contention. If he starts catching on just laugh at him and tell him that he's crazy.

Good Bye, Lenin!

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)

FWIW, was watching a spring training game and the announcers said that Volquez was the most frustrating starting pitcher that the Rangers ever worked with.

All the ability and talent in the world, but they described him as Exhibit A in the headcase dictionary definition.

At one point, they made a list of rules specifically for him in an effort to control his emotions and antics.

Which clearly marks him as a target for Cooper and KW, haha.

But what team has that kind of a pitcher than they're not going to hold out for a bundle?

Someone like a Wandy Rodriguez (just an example) on a team in the bottom 5-10 that's more expensive.

But they're not going to want Gavin Floyd back, obviously. The only two players we could possibly survive trading are probably Thornton and maybe Crain, but we don't want to hurt our bullpen when it seems to be jelling. And bottom tier teams aren't going to want veteran/expensive relievers anyway.

So that leaves the likes of Mitchell, Quintana, Castro, Santiago, Thompson, Saladino...

We're going to be trading away a LOT of our future for a dubious return, because the odds of a #3 starter CLEARLY being better than Floyd is dubious (depending on which Gavin shows up on a given day).

I just don't see the surefire candidate that doesn't cripple the major league roster or our minor leagues.

What about Ryan Dempster on the Flubs? Decent ERA, WHIP, and has decent stuff with no run support. Just a guess off the top of my head.

If the Sox are willing to take on salary, they'll probably be able to get something helpful without giving up too much talent.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)

I'd love to take a shot with him...even when he does frustrate, he seems to always be able to limit the damage. However, if you need an innings eater, he's probably not your man.