5/31 Games

flavum

not sure why jordan danks doesn't get more credit on this board....has a double and a walk today. His obp is over .400 and OPS near .900. I know everyone hates the K's, but hes cut them down a bit, and as long as he is walking im ok with it. not sure how is defense has progressed, but I know he was a + defender at one point as well

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 31, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
not sure why jordan danks doesn't get more credit on this board....has a double and a walk today. His obp is over .400 and OPS near .900. I know everyone hates the K's, but hes cut them down a bit, and as long as he is walking im ok with it. not sure how is defense has progressed, but I know he was a + defender at one point as well

It's funny you say that because I don't see much difference between him and Eduardo Escobar. Future bench players that play plus D and won't hit much. Escobar was a consensus top 10 prospect while everyone wants to s*** on Danks.

I've been saying he should replace Fukudome.

2-2, double, walk. Hitting .295.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
I haven't. Unless we no longer value Danks as a prospect and future OF for this team, then yeah, severely limit his playing time and improvement by putting him on the Sox bench.

Next year that's probably what we do with him, it's hard to see him doing much but striking out a lot of he gets 125 at bats the rest of the year.

not sure why jordan danks doesn't get more credit on this board....

I think that is a function of the fact that this is his 3rd year in Charlotte and the first two seasons he was mediocre at best. He keeps progressing like he has this season and he definitely could be a good 4th or 5th OFer.

Mitchell with another "boom or bust" game.

0 for 3 with 3 k's.

Pedro Hernandez didn't give up a single run in his outing. ERA of 2.43 on the season.

Other than Thompson and Sanchez, not much reason to depress oneself opening the W-S box.

Maybe just for the Shoemaker fans around here.

K. Walker has 3 walks.

And this guy seems to have announced his arrival with a 2 homer game and white hot start.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?p...&pid=458088

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
Mitchell with another "boom or bust" game.

0 for 3 with 3 k's.

Pedro Hernandez didn't give up a single run in his outing. ERA of 2.43 on the season.

His ERA is very deceiving. With only 27 Ks in 48 innings, it says something about his stuff. While he must be doing something right with an ERA that low and a good amount of innings, his stuff suggests nothing more than backend rotation fodder or a bullpen arm. Granted, I think that's what many expected from him, I am tempering my enthusiasm about his 2012 year.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
His ERA is very deceiving. With only 27 Ks in 48 innings, it says something about his stuff. While he must be doing something right with an ERA that low and a good amount of innings, his stuff suggests nothing more than backend rotation fodder or a bullpen arm. Granted, I think that's what many expected from him, I am tempering my enthusiasm about his 2012 year.

Yeah, Pedro Hernandez's number don't impress me. 30K in 55 innings isn't very inspiring, especially when his BB/9 rate is 2.7. Those numbers need to go in opposite directions.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
Other than Thompson and Sanchez, not much reason to depress oneself opening the W-S box.

Maybe just for the Shoemaker fans around here.

The Barons box score is much more depressing.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:40 PM)

But couldn't the same arguments be applied to Quintana, Axelrod and Doyle?

I get the K/9 and BB/9 thing, and not every young pitcher without stuff matures into the next Mark Buehrle, but at the very least, he should be able to turn into a serviceable reliever.

Another example would be Zach Stewart. Even though his fastball's "only" by 88-91 for most of this season, it's the movement and location which has allowed him to be relatively successfuly, certainly more successful than 2011 when he more consistently threw 90-93.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
Starting to wonder if this year's Jordan Danks = Last year's Alejandro De Aza...as far as this board saying "PROMOTE HIM!!"

ADA was actually a big prospect in the Marlins system, before breaking his leg and falling off.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:13 AM)
But couldn't the same arguments be applied to Quintana, Axelrod and Doyle?

I get the K/9 and BB/9 thing, and not every young pitcher without stuff matures into the next Mark Buehrle, but at the very least, he should be able to turn into a serviceable reliever.

Another example would be Zach Stewart. Even though his fastball's "only" by 88-91 for most of this season, it's the movement and location which has allowed him to be relatively successfuly, certainly more successful than 2011 when he more consistently threw 90-93.

Definitely to Doyle and Axelrod. They have the same projections as Hernandez. Bullpen fodder, maybe a fifth starter. I don't think many people have high hopes for those two. Only so many guys can get by in the Majors without above-average stuff and stick in the rotation.

Quintana, however, has continuously missed bats as a pro and has had very good K numbers including this year. Then, obviously, he continued to pitch well in the Majors. He looks like a possible mid-rotation starter. I am not saying there is anything wrong with having a potential serviceable reliever in your system like Hernandez, but let's now view his ERA as a sign that he is becoming a legit prospect is my only point.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
It's funny you say that because I don't see much difference between him and Eduardo Escobar. Future bench players that play plus D and won't hit much. Escobar was a consensus top 10 prospect while everyone wants to s*** on Danks.

Not everyone is in love with Escobar. I get he is a plus fielder, but he is a minus hitter. I am really hoping he gets sent out once Brent is healthy.