AAP: Keon Barnum

Selected by the White Sox 48th overall in 2012, he's signed with the University of Miami.

Bats: L

Throws: L

6'4, 225

King HS

Tampa, FL

MLB Network compared him to Ryan Howard.

ESPN earlier named him the 8th prep corner infielder:

8. Keon Barnum, 1B, King (Tampa, Fla.)

Barnum is a man-child at 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds and generates good bat speed and big power from the left side of the plate. The swing path, which creates good loft, is natural, suggesting he’ll hit for power, but he has problems making consistent contact. He's committed to Miami, but he has a chance to go in the first 100 selections to a team that believes they can teach him to hit for average.

12/29/11 - Barnum rated 3rd best prep prospect in Florida:

3. Keon Barnum, 1B, King (Tampa, Fla.)

Barnum has plus raw power and a major-league frame at 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds. He's a decent athlete but profiles best at first base, which will limit his value come draft day. But a better year hitting to all fields and making contact could put him into the top 30. Barnum, a Miami recruit, batted .491 last year with six homers and 27 RBIs.

• 1 month later...

"Coming back: First baseman Keon Barnum, the Sox's second pick in the June amateur draft, is expected to resume playing for Advanced Rookie-Bristol this week. Barnum, who batted .421 with three home runs and seven RBIs in five games, is recovering from a sore left shoulder."

He was 8-19 in those 5 games, 3K and 0 BB.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Right hamate bone removed. Out 6 weeks.

Easy to recover from. Just need to let the bone heal so it doesn't injure the ulnar nerve as it goes through the tunnel of guyon of the the hook of the hamate (the part they remove) makes up one of the sides. About 1/3 of all MLB hitters have this done at one time or another.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Easy to recover from. Just need to let the bone heal so it doesn't injure the ulnar nerve as it goes through the tunnel of guyon of the the hook of the hamate (the part they remove) makes up one of the sides. About 1/3 of all MLB hitters have this done at one time or another.

Why not do this in the offseason?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
Why not do this in the offseason?

Because the loose bone fragment from when the hook breaks could tear or cut the ulnar nerve. He would then lose the use of his 4th and 5th digits on his hand. The fragment needs to be removed ASAP to prevent this.

I know that he was just drafted last year, but Barnum sure does seem to be injury prone.

I hope by mentioning this now he has a great career with the Sox and never hits the DL, even once!

Edited by balfanman

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 9, 2013 -> 06:05 AM)
Barnum to return from DL and report to Kannapolis by mid-June

I saw the return-by-mid-June info, but, has someone said he's headed for Kanny? Probably is, just wondering if you heard that from someone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
I saw the return-by-mid-June info, but, has someone said he's headed for Kanny? Probably is, just wondering if you heard that from someone.

I've read from multiple sources that Barnum will be sent to Kanny, that was pre set back however.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...