2012 White Sox draft picks

southsider2k5

Stoner has signed.

CARBONDALE - SIU left-handed pitcher Nathan Dorris and incoming freshman Zach Stoner have informed Saluki coach Ken Henderson that they have signed professional baseball contracts.

Dorris, a Marion native who led SIU with seven victories, was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the 17th round Wednesday. He was scheduled to meet with the Cubs earlier today.

Stoner, an incoming catcher/first baseman from Rockford Boylan High School, was drafted in the 12th round Tuesday by the Chicago White Sox. One of the top-rated players in the state by Illinois Prep Baseball Report, the left-handed hitter batted .461 with four home runs and 44 RBIs last year.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
Geography teachers everywhere have to smashing their faces into the walls. At least Bristol is have in TN.

Ha, that's what I was thinking too... But Great Falls, Minnesota? Come on...

Good finds everyone. I was a bit fried after updating the draft tracker so I've been too lazy to follow up on these guys.

I did catch that 26th rounder Jason Coats tore his ACL on May 20. He was thought to be a potential first rounder a couple years ago, but took a bit of a step back the last two seasons. He was still first-team all-Mountain West the last two years so that says something still. The injury explains why he slipped so far, but I still like the pick. The crappy thing for him is that the article linked above said he turned down 6 figures in the 12th round last year. He won't get that in the 26th. At least he has a degree, but that sucks.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Good finds everyone. I was a bit fried after updating the draft tracker so I've been too lazy to follow up on these guys.

I did catch that 26th rounder Jason Coats tore his ACL on May 20. He was thought to be a potential first rounder a couple years ago, but took a bit of a step back the last two seasons. He was still first-team all-Mountain West the last two years so that says something still. The injury explains why he slipped so far, but I still like the pick. The crappy thing for him is that the article linked above said he turned down 6 figures in the 12th round last year. He won't get that in the 26th. At least he has a degree, but that sucks.

I found a good story on the 36 rounder Matt Patishall here. Basically if the offer from the Sox is a good one, Patishall MAY sign.

Looks like Nick Basto is a lock.

June 5, 2012|By Dieter Kurtenbach, Sun Sentinel

Basto had committed to play at FIU, but he won't be a Panther. He said Tuesday that he's going to sign with the White Sox and start his professional career as soon as possible.

The 171st pick is slotted for a $240,200 signing bonus. Basto has the opportunity to make more.

On the other end of the line was Jose "Pepe" Ortega. He relayed the information that had gone out to big-league general managers moments before:

"With pick No. 171 in the fifth round of Tuesday's MLB Draft, the Chicago White Sox select Nick Basto, shortstop, Archbishop McCarthy."

"I didn't know where I was going to go," Basto said of his selection. "We were just waiting for it."

Ortega, the longtime White Sox scout in South Florida, had long been keen on drafting Basto, who hit .324 with 28 RBIs and three home runs for the Mavericks this year.

"[The White Sox] came to a lot of my games," Basto said. "[Ortega] loved me since my freshman year. They loved my bat speed, my arm speed, my speed, my range. They liked that I can hit for power, too."

I just saw this on another sox board:

"I just spoke the the sox scout for Brennan. He said they have agreed to terms and he will be heading to Chicago tomorrow for his physical. Will sign contract Monday then head to Arizona for mini-camp."

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/keon...hite-sox/14047/

Sun. June 10, 2012 | Laura Keeley | Email

Keon Barnum close to deal with White Sox

When former King first baseman Keon Barnum was drafted in the supplemental first round of Monday's MLB first-year players draft by the White Sox at No. 48 overall, Chicago's director of amatuer scouting Doug Laumann told local media that night he thought Barnum was close to signing.

Less then a week later, Laumann appears right.

Barnum, who stands 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, is flying to Arizona to take a physical Monday. If he passes, he will officially sign with the White Sox and forgo his scholarship to Miami. In his senior year, he hit .417 with hit five home runs, five doubles and two triples to go along with 26 walks, 27 runs scored and 15 RBIs. The slotted bonus for the 48th overall pick is $1,052,500.

George Takata

‏@georgetakata

Follow

EXCLUSIVE: Sunnyside HS catcher Jose Barraza signs his contract with the White Sox. The story coming up tonight on CBS 47 at 11!

http://www.cbs47.tv/sports/story/Windy-Cit...kHTYgws.twitter

Sunnyside high school catcher Jose Barraza, the first local high school player selected in the 2012 MLB Draft, signed his contract with the Chicago White Sox Thursday night.

The deal is worth over 200-thousand dollars, with some of the money going towards paying for college.

Barraza was drafted in the 7th round by the White Sox. The slotted value of where he was picked is $146,300.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Any news about Hawkins yet

Not yet.

All but Salinas were three-year starters on state tournament teams. Hawkins, a first-round pick of the Chicago White Sox is likely headed to play pro ball this summer, while Cano, Cruz and Dumes are headed to play at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Rodriguez at Grayson College in Denison.

Courtney's team lost in the 5A championship in a stunner-like fashion. So we may not hear about him until Tuesday, IMHO.

Just a writeup.

re Derek Thompson, 13th rounder.

Thompson could sign with the White Sox after improving his draft position by 16 rounds and 487 picks. Or, he could return to John A. Logan College for his sophomore season and remain draft eligible in 2013.

“I’ve still got to talk a little bit with my family,” Thompson said. “We still have to go over it. I’m leaning towards (signing) a lot.

Thompson said his fastball topped out at 92 mph this spring but wasn’t consistently in the 90s like he would have liked it to be. His changeup and curveball, however, remained effective.

“I felt like this year my velocity wasn’t where I wanted it to be, but my movement, though, was better than it was last year,” Thompson said. “My coach, (Logan’s) Jerry Halstead, also helped me a lot on my changeup and my curveball. That was really helpful this year to get out hitters.”

Thompson’s goals for his fastball are to throw it consistently in the 90s with a top end speed at 96 or 97 mph. And getting stronger to achieve that goal will be his plan whether he chooses the White Sox or another year at Logan.

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
keon barnum supposedly has lighttower power

That's perfect, after Mr. Maxwell's blast today at USCF over the foul pole for 461 feet.

Need all the power we can get, as we'll have to replace Konerko, Dunn and AJ.

Of course, everyone said the same type of thing about Joe Borchard's power when he signed...hopefully Barnum won't have such a big hole in his swing, nor will he be so mechanical, for lack of a better word.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
That's perfect, after Mr. Maxwell's blast today at USCF over the foul pole for 461 feet.

Need all the power we can get, as we'll have to replace Konerko, Dunn and AJ.

Of course, everyone said the same type of thing about Joe Borchard's power when he signed...hopefully Barnum won't have such a big hole in his swing, nor will he be so mechanical, for lack of a better word.

Was that the estimate, 461? And what, about 40 feet in the air? I want to see what HitTracker comes up with for the True distance. I am thinking around 500.