Jared Mitchell named to All-Star team

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Doubtful until next year

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they move him up after the AS game. This franchise is typically very aggressive in pushing their young guys up to higher levels even if they're raw. Especially if Danks winds up hanging on in the bigs as a backup, leaving an opening in Charlotte's OF, moving him up fits their M.O.

They've got to test his plate discipline in a league where the pitchers have much better command.

While the overall stuff in the Southern League's going to be better, AAA will be a quite different kind of test. Can he keep up his incredible progress in terms of walks and patience? Will his strikeouts stay the same, go down or keep rising at the next level?

It will also show us if he can change/convert/adapt his game to a smaller stadium and start turning those doubles and triples into homers.

You'd like to think of Mitchell as being a lot like DeAza as a hitter...maybe 12-15 homers, lots of XB hits, especially at USCF.

Didn't someone say Pedro Hernandez was hurt?

Edited by caulfield12

Jared Mitchell had some buzz going on after the CWS appearance. It was right around that time when ESPN was getting people to care. Gordo had gotten popular as well.

I'm surprised we haven't pushed him up to play in AAA with Danks leaving....but I don't mind. Jordan was an example of a guy who we insisted on pushing up to AAA when the strikeout numbers weren't yet acceptable. The adjustment at a higher level was much more difficult and some would argue that very little adjustment happened. I'm okay with being conservative with Mitchell since he isn't fast tracked to a position of need anyway at this point. Let him work on getting the K's down at a level where the pitching isn't unfamiliarly difficult.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
Jared Mitchell had some buzz going on after the CWS appearance. It was right around that time when ESPN was getting people to care. Gordo had gotten popular as well.

I'm surprised we haven't pushed him up to play in AAA with Danks leaving....but I don't mind. Jordan was an example of a guy who we insisted on pushing up to AAA when the strikeout numbers weren't yet acceptable. The adjustment at a higher level was much more difficult and some would argue that very little adjustment happened. I'm okay with being conservative with Mitchell since he isn't fast tracked to a position of need anyway at this point. Let him work on getting the K's down at a level where the pitching isn't unfamiliarly difficult.

Unless Danks is staying, there is no need to move up Mitchell.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
He looked awesome in what.....spring 2010?

And had a pretty devastating injury. Ive come back from two knee surgeries and can say that it certainly takes its toll on your entire body, not just the body part that is injured. Not to mention the muscle atrophy that takes place, and the muscles atrophy at an alarming rate after that sort of leg injury.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
And had a pretty devastating injury. Ive come back from two knee surgeries and can say that it certainly takes its toll on your entire body, not just the body part that is injured. Not to mention the muscle atrophy that takes place, and the muscles atrophy at an alarming rate after that sort of leg injury.

To be clear, I didn't mean for my comment to seem negative, I was seriously asking which year it was when he looked awesome in Arizona. I think it was 2010, and it's a terrible shame he had that major setback.