EJAX trade re-visited

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Holmberg is in High-A at age 20. The bottom line (if I can borrow a phrase from Frank Thomas) is that it was an awful trade given the situation the Sox were in at the time.

Does that mean Holmberg and Hudson will haunt the Sox for the next decade? Maybe not. But for now, it doesn't look good.

But if the Sox win the World Series this year, they can hit the reset button and not care about any move made from November 2005 to October 2012.

It isn't awful if it taught KW not to mortgage the entire future for a single season, or NOT to give up on young pitching after just 3 starts.

If he makes the same mistake and deals Mitchell this year for pitching, it will be disappointing. Still, with DeAza/Viciedo/Rios, we have the OF covered for the next 2 1/2 seasons.

Holmberg's like the #8 prospect for the DBacks. Who's to say Quintana isn't just as good already, or Santiago?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
Holmberg's like the #8 prospect for the DBacks. Who's to say Quintana isn't just as good already, or Santiago?

Once Holmberg makes AA he's potentially a jump away from being in the Majors. Holmberg's MiLB peripherals s*** on Quintana's or Santiago's. And Holmberg is only 20. It's safe to say he has a fairly high ceiling compared to those other two.

The Huddy/Holmberg and Gio trades make me cringe every time I think about them.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 12:50 AM)
So what kind of contract did Edwin get this season?

$11 million, plus bonuses for All-Star, World Series, etc.

In hindsight, you can argue we should have dumped Floyd's contract and kept Jackson, but way too late for that. Or not re-signed Danks, but oh well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
$11 million, plus bonuses for All-Star, World Series, etc.

In hindsight, you can argue we should have dumped Floyd's contract and kept Jackson, but way too late for that. Or not re-signed Danks, but oh well.

He might have been worth keeping at $8M tops.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
Once Holmberg makes AA he's potentially a jump away from being in the Majors. Holmberg's MiLB peripherals s*** on Quintana's or Santiago's. And Holmberg is only 20. It's safe to say he has a fairly high ceiling compared to those other two.

I'll make a judgement when he actually gets major league hitters out. I've been hearing about all the talent KW has traded away for years from commentators, and on this board. Gio is the exception. I don't like KW. I think he should be the ex-GM, but most of the minor league stuff he's traded away has been nothing. When he traded for Schoenweiss, he gave up 2 guys Peter Gammons couldn't stop talking about Tim Bittner and Scott Dunn. When MacDougal was acquired, again, Tyler Lumsden and Dan Cortes. Turn on Baseball Tonight,they were going to be stars. Brandon Allen I was told on this board was a future all star. They didn't tell me it was in a beer league. The odds are Holmberg will crash and burn. For his sake, I hope he's a star and makes a lot of money, odds are against it. For all of KW's faults, which I believe there are many, he's been one of the better GMs when it comes to trading minor leaguers. There have been a couple OK players, but the only one that really blew up in his face is Gio. If you find the thread of the Swisher trade, I think you'd find a lot of people who loved that trade and a lot of Gio detractors. Also that same explosion occured in Pat Gillick's face.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)

He was promoted to AA a couple weeks ago.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
While we're on the subject of hindsight.. Lucas Harrell just threw a CG shutout..

Padres.

That's like Zach Stewart throwing a 1-hitter against a September Twins team.

Actually, Harrell has done pretty well for himself.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Padres.

That's like Zach Stewart throwing a 1-hitter against a September Twins team.

Actually, Harrell has done pretty well for himself.

True on all accounts.. I just think its silly to bring up the same guys that used to be on the White Sox... Harrell's opponent tonight: Clayton Richard.. 7IP, 2 hits, 0 BB, 1 ER..

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
While we're on the subject of hindsight.. Lucas Harrell just threw a CG shutout..

He has been a 5th starter in the NL Central. In the AL he'd be looking at about a 5 to 5.50 era, and probably working as a long man out of the pen.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
don't worry guys, we'll get our own dose of TJS with Sale at some point. don't get too excited.

Very true. Chris has a good chance to be in the running for the Cy Young this season, and unfortunately that is going to make his injury that much worse.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Hudson turned into jackson who turned into stewart who turned into Youkilis, Sox won as of right now

No no, Chris Young turned into Vazquez who turned into Lillibridge who turned into Youkilis. You forget yourself, sir!

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
Hudson turned into jackson who turned into stewart who turned into Youkilis, Sox won as of right now

No no, Chris Young turned into Vazquez who turned into Lillibridge who turned into Youkilis. You forget yourself, sir!

Sooo...we should be thanking the D-backs org.