Prometheus Thread

GoSox05

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
It's ridiculous how much of Prometheus' plot and major scenes are being shown in the previews.

If you say so. I haven't watched much tv the last 4 days, but I have no idea what I've been shown in the previews or how it fits together with anything.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
I know Will Smith was originally attached but after watching the trailer, Djimon HOunsou would of been sweet but people may have seen him and thought Amistad.

Give me free!

I always think Janet Jackson video ("Love Will Never Do Without You" back when she was super-cute), Gladiator, Blood Diamond.

EW gives Prometheus a B+. Score another hit for Charlize Theron this summer.

Ridley Scott set new standards for big sci-fi storytelling in the last quarter of the 20th century, and now he's engineered Prometheus for a 21st-century race of moviegoers. This is jumbo-size science fiction, with a handsome, impermeable titanium gleam — and a thick coating of creationism lite. In the deep space of the director's deluxe, prequel-esque nonprequel to his 1979 classic, Alien, striking marble-skinned, monument-shaped beings of godlike intelligence share screen time with the cool old slimy-skinned, vagina-shaped representations of destructive extraterrestrial life known and loved from back in the days of Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley. Prometheus elicits Alien memories for viewers who have them, but works on its own, too, as a model of a contemporary (and, as is the contempo mode, long-winded) sci-fi horror pic. The plot follows the fates of some foolish humans and one devilishly smart robot named David, all of whom encounter big trouble in outer space. The visual images impress as polished movie craft — Scott's visuals always do — with icy, jagged iconography inspired by the otherworldly Icelandic landscape where parts were shot, and benefiting from Scott's trademark attention to mood and wet things. The man likes his moisture.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20483133_20587886,00.html

Full review

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/

20 negative reviews/60 positive so far

Edited by caulfield12

I'm an Alien and Ridley Scott fanboy. I gave Prometheus a 7.5. It looked great. The Giger vibes were back. It explained all the questions about xenomorphs and space jockeys. It was entertaining and enjoyable. However, there were problems with character development. The pilot and his co pilots really needed more screen time. I didn't buy their decisions in the end, and frankly, didn't really care. I found myself questioning David's motivations vs. Theron, her father and the corporation. The score was just awful. It really took away from mood of the film. This was the biggest disappointment for me. Scott's films are driven by their score. He's usually a master at setting tone through sound.

As a fan of Alien lore, it was satisfying, yet hollow.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
I'm an Alien and Ridley Scott fanboy. I gave Prometheus a 7.5. It looked great. The Giger vibes were back. It explained all the questions about xenomorphs and space jockeys. It was entertaining and enjoyable. However, there were problems with character development. The pilot and his co pilots really needed more screen time. I didn't buy their decisions in the end, and frankly, didn't really care. I found myself questioning David's motivations vs. Theron, her father and the corporation. The score was just awful. It really took away from mood of the film. This was the biggest disappointment for me. Scott's films are driven by their score. He's usually a master at setting tone through sound.

As a fan of Alien lore, it was satisfying, yet hollow.

It answered a lot, but certainly not all. I still liked it a lot, though. Took me until almost the very end to realize that the old guy was Guy Pearce.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
And what do you guys make of that initial scene where the guy seemingly committed suicide? Do you think that was Earth and was he sacrificing himself to deposit his DNA on the planet?

It was the planet they were on. His DNA mixed with the water in the river. The water became the black liquid they were collecting in the vases on the ship. That's why the ship was underground.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)

It was the planet they were on. His DNA mixed with the water in the river. The water became the black liquid they were collecting in the vases on the ship. That's why the ship was underground.

But as he swallowed the vile in the beginning scene there was a different type of space ship in the sky that left the planet. What was all that about?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
And what do you guys make of that initial scene where the guy seemingly committed suicide? Do you think that was Earth and was he sacrificing himself to deposit his DNA on the planet?

That's exactly what it was... The creation of human.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
But as he swallowed the vile in the beginning scene there was a different type of space ship in the sky that left the planet. What was all that about?

They dropped him off to so he could begin to terraform the planet. The black liquid breaks down his body so that his DNA can spread and life begins. It could be Earth too. Even so, it doesn't matter. It's showing that Space Jockeys can create life. I'm not sure why the ship's different. Actually, the more I think about it, it is probably Earth and that's why the ship's different, so it people don't confuse it with the planet the film's set on.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)

Nope.