Soriano

rowand's rowdies

The Cubs are trying to trade him, obviously. It appears (correct me if I'm wrong) that his contract is for this year and 2 more years @ $19/year at a total of 3 years $57 million.

The Indians are apparently discussing him. We know KW gets his man eventually and has had a chubbie for that cubbie since his yankee days. And he likes to block his division opponents from getting a helpful piece (see ManRam, Mig Cabrera as polar opposite examples).

He does suck for the most part, but could be a useful hitter down the stretch IF he is hot at the right time. He would platoon well with Dunn against some tougher lefties and could play a game or two in the OF to spell Rios or Viciendo (assuming rios is not the trade piece). I guess I could deal with him taking Rios' spot if we saved $ to use on a better 3b or SP.

My questions to you are

1) What's your creative trade proposal that makes sense for both sides?

2) Would you even want Soriano as a White Sox player this year and two more?

3) Whats an acceptable salary for us to pay him (out of his $19 million)?

My thoughts are Rios for Soriano and cash (little over half his salary leaving $9/year for us plus savings on Rios). We also land a decent prospect I would think for taking on some $. If we can save the couple million this year and the next two to help in other areas, then clear Rios' $ for the next two years, I might be able to swallow the switch from Rios to Soriano (I don't like either player).

Also, what about a John Danks and Alex Rios to Cubs for Garza and Soriano? Any thoughts on something there?

I would pay him $9 million/ year ONLY if we get Rios off the books. I wouldn't want to pay Soriano more than $7 million per year without a bad salary going the other way

I'm not suggesting it either way, so don't kill me for that, just trying to see if there could be something there.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
Say no to Soriano. That is all.

Rios is doing fine and I'm confident that he will end up being productive (all things considered) for the rest of his contract.

Rios is probably better and cheaper. Soriano's contract makes Rios' look like a bargain.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
Rios is probably better and cheaper. Soriano's contract makes Rios' look like a bargain.

If we didn't have a DH then maybe. but we do.

If he could play third, then maybe. but he can't

I believe that he is playing with some nagging injuries. I don't think it would work with this team. I am glad that we missed getting Soriano in the past. Same sentiments here.

If I were to get Soriano, it would be to put him at 3rd base. It would probably be a horrific disaster but he's got a strong arm and should have good range for a 3rd baseman. That said, its been a good number of years since he's played in the infield so it would probably be a train wreck. But the Cubs would have to pay a crapload of that contract and I'm not going to give them much of value. That or you'd trade someone else with a contract the Sox don't want for him + another asset.

No to SoriaNO. He can definitley be a decent run producer as an AL DH but not at his current cost. Even if the Cubs eat half of his salary, he is still over paid. The area we need to upgrade the most is starting pitching. After Sale and Peavy we have had no real consistent pitcher. Floyd may turn it around but with the Danks injury and Humbers lack luster performances, we need at LEAST one more veteran starting pitcher over anything else. Our offense is perfectly fine.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Soriano is playing on one leg, if you dont believe me watch a game. I ran that way the last couple of years with a bad knee injury, he's basically worthless.

Well, he's not exactly worthless. He's actually been tearing it up for 1.5 months since he switched to a lighter bat - see .944 OPS in May and 1.170 OPS in June.

Still, I'm not really interested unless the Cubs paid 90% of his contract and took Rios.

Here's what we do. We get someone to take on the entire remaining fraction of Adam Dunn's contract, and hopefully throw us a minor leaguer or two at the same time. We then get the Cubs to take on all but $2 million of Soriano's remaining salary, in exchange for something of Doyle's value. In that case, I'm game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Here's what we do. We get someone to take on the entire remaining fraction of Adam Dunn's contract, and hopefully throw us a minor leaguer or two at the same time. We then get the Cubs to take on all but $2 million of Soriano's remaining salary, in exchange for something of Doyle's value. In that case, I'm game.

So you would rather have Soriano than Dunn?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
I'd rather have Soriano for $1 million a year than Dunn at $14 million a year. At the same price, give me the lefty.

Gotcha, makes sense. If the Cubs are gonna eat that much of Soriano's contract, I would assume they would be looking for a better prospect than Doyle.

I'll say up front that I really don't want Soriano, but, just to play devils advocate.

I have heard that Soriano does have a strong work ethic and is well liked by his teamates. Some of the things that I have heard Rios criticized for around here is.....effort and work ethic.

Not sayin, I'm just sayin.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Gotcha, makes sense. If the Cubs are gonna eat that much of Soriano's contract, I would assume they would be looking for a better prospect than Doyle.

And if they are, I would wish them the normal amount of bad luck in that effort that I wish them in all things.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Soriano is playing on one leg, if you dont believe me watch a game. I ran that way the last couple of years with a bad knee injury, he's basically worthless.

Rock he is playing on one leg and needs to go to the A league to be a DH. Cleveland makes a ton of sense as I believe Hafner is out. The reason I am responding to you is your avatar. I just want to keep watching it.