Chance of being in 1st by ASB?

stretchstretch

I have no idea, but the next 4 weeks are a hell of a test going into the break. And then 3 at KC, 4 at Boston, and 3 at Detroit right after the break.

I'd love 4 wins a week for the next 4 weeks, and then go 5-5 on the road trip out of the break.

But even if they go 14-11 from here to the break, wouldn't be bad at all.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
I have no idea, but the next 4 weeks are a hell of a test going into the break. And then 3 at KC, 4 at Boston, and 3 at Detroit right after the break.

I'd love 4 wins a week for the next 4 weeks, and then go 5-5 on the road trip out of the break.

But even if they go 14-11 from here to the break, wouldn't be bad at all.

But, They do play better on the road for some reason.

The offense certainly isn't clicking like it was during the streak, but it's really the pitching, particularly Humber and Floyd that have killed the team lately.

Hopefully by the All-Star break Kenny will have adressed the pitching or 3rd base situation somehow.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
I predict 1st place...we're better than the team we're competing with. Soxtalk is a pack of doomsayers.

O/T, how do I put a user on ignore?

Click on their name, click "View Member Profile" and once you click "options" there is an option for "Ignore user".

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
I predict 1st place...we're better than the team we're competing with. Soxtalk is a pack of doomsayers.

O/T, how do I put a user on ignore?

Agree! Sox are better than the team(s) we are competing with. 1st place is there for the Sox to take and maintain for the season, barring injuries.

Very fun season with lot's of great player development; let's enjoy it.

QUOTE (59th street @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
Agree! Sox are better than the team(s) we are competing with. 1st place is there for the Sox to take and maintain for the season, barring injuries.

Very fun season with lot's of great player development; let's enjoy it.

I think it will come down to whether the Tigers put together a great half season or not. I think their rotation, defense, and bullpen is bad enough to hold them back, however.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
I don't think about it. Sit back and enjoy the baseball. This has been a surprising season and you might as well enjoy it while you can. Hopefully it lasts all the way through October. Lets go White Sox!!!

If I wanted a reasonable response I would have asked for one. Let's stick with the paranoid soxfan program, mmmkayyy? :D

Cleveland, for as much as everyone is considering them a threat, is a far worse team than the White Sox.

-their best hitters currently are their middle infielders, and that's no knock on Cabrera and Kipnis because they're great players. Santana and Choo have been bad to meh, and I expect them to improve, but they simply aren't a very good offensive ballclub. They will be able to play matchups better than most, but they don't have a very talented offensive ballclub. The White Sox and Tigers do.

-their rotation is very mediocre to bad. I expect Masterson's numbers to improve a bit as the year goes on, but I've never been a fan of Ubaldo, Derek Lowe's ERA shot up a point and a half in 3 starts (one of which was a 6+ IP, 1 ER outing against the Twins) and his recent history, peripherals, and everything else about him screams 4.50-5.00 ERA for the season. There's really not a whole lot going for that rotation.

-there are good pitchers in the bullpen - Perez, Pestano (who should really be closing), Smith, and Hagadone are all good pitchers, but it lacks depth.

-the defense is OK, but not as good as the White Sox.

There's enough talent on that team for them to finish around .500, but there's no excuse for the White Sox to not finish above them in the standings. I don't give a flying f*** about the ASB, just be there at the end of the day on October 3rd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Cleveland, for as much as everyone is considering them a threat, is a far worse team than the White Sox.

-their best hitters currently are their middle infielders, and that's no knock on Cabrera and Kipnis because they're great players. Santana and Choo have been bad to meh, and I expect them to improve, but they simply aren't a very good offensive ballclub. They will be able to play matchups better than most, but they don't have a very talented offensive ballclub. The White Sox and Tigers do.

-their rotation is very mediocre to bad. I expect Masterson's numbers to improve a bit as the year goes on, but I've never been a fan of Ubaldo, Derek Lowe's ERA shot up a point and a half in 3 starts (one of which was a 6+ IP, 1 ER outing against the Twins) and his recent history, peripherals, and everything else about him screams 4.50-5.00 ERA for the season. There's really not a whole lot going for that rotation.

-there are good pitchers in the bullpen - Perez, Pestano (who should really be closing), Smith, and Hagadone are all good pitchers, but it lacks depth.

-the defense is OK, but not as good as the White Sox.

There's enough talent on that team for them to finish around .500, but there's no excuse for the White Sox to not finish above them in the standings. I don't give a flying f*** about the ASB, just be there at the end of the day on October 3rd.

Brantley's been playing the best he ever has. If they could trade for Quentin or add an 85% Grady Sizemore, their line-up's complexion changes quite a bit as you also swap out an "over the hill" Johnny Damon from LF.

Hannahan and Chisenahall are a bit suspect at 3B, but you switch out Kotchman's bat for a healthy Hafner (coming back in the 2nd half from knee surgery on the meniscus), they're at the very least formidable.

Gomez was very good until his last 3-4 starts. Tomlin hasn't been as good as last year.

Choo RF

Kipnis 2B

Cabrera SS

Hafner DH

Santana 1B/C

Quentin/Damon LF

Sizemore/Brantley CF/DH

Hannahan/Chisenhall 3B

Marson/Kotchman 1B/C

Assuming they could pull off trading for Carlos Quentin, that would be a very formidable line-up 1-7 or 1-8.

The only real weaknesses are when Damon, Marson and Kotchmann are all playing...and we're still not sure what kind of player Chisenhall's destined to be, but he was one of their top prospects, along with Kipnis.

I agree we're better than Cleveland & Detroit.

That doesn't change the fact that the next three to four weeks of schedule is brutal for us with a mixture of quality opponents and long road stretches. They NEED to take care of business at home vs. Chicago and Milwaukee. This will make those series' against NYY on the road and Texas and Toronto at home much less vital.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
If they keep playing ball like they have the last few weeks. Slim.

are you insane? we're 7 GAMES OVER .500

who the f*** saw that coming this year. i'm sick of your attitude kid. haha

Cleveland is not built to win. Going by WARP, their two best hitters are their middle infielders and their best pitcher is a reliever. They don't have a stud hitter like Konerko/Dunn/Cabrera/Fielder or a stud starter like Verlander/Sale/Peavy to give them a jolt when things aren't going well.

I think the Indians are in 3rd place by the end of July, if not sooner.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)
I don't think about it. Sit back and enjoy the baseball. This has been a surprising season and you might as well enjoy it while you can. Hopefully it lasts all the way through October. Lets go White Sox!!!

I like your thinking. Let's just enjoy the ride

Any warm feelings I had during our winning streak are now evaporated seeing that we just lost two, no three, no wait FOUR series to NL teams in a row, and just dropped two straight to the worst team in baseball--while at home.

The first being a complete shelling and the second an utter waste of another lights-out performance by our #1 starter. If we can't win behind pitching performances like that, at home, against the worst team in baseball, then who are we to talk about how we're on a par with Cleveland or the Tigers or anybody for that matter?

Don't get me wrong--this may just be a bad streak--but it sure is troubling.

Edited by LVSoxFan