The Jose Quintana Appreciation Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Because god forbid a 23 year old lefty under team control can develop a pitch or two.

If this is the case, I'd like him practicing down in the minors when Danks comes back where he can feel free to experiment without consequences. If he developed another pitch, I would trust what I've seen much more.

The other way of looking at it is he can already be quite successful throwing only fastballs mixed in with a few sliders, then imagine how good he could be with a change-up or curveball (see Buehrle, Mark).

Essentially, he's a two pitch pitcher, and it's not like he has Jose Contreras' 2005-06 forkball and fastball combination working out there.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
I still contend that new posters will be confused as hell about this.

Not if they know their Aztec history, which is a silly question because who doesn't. :unsure:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
The other way of looking at it is he can already be quite successful throwing only fastballs mixed in with a few sliders, then imagine how good he could be with a change-up or curveball (see Buehrle, Mark).

Essentially, he's a two pitch pitcher, and it's not like he has Jose Contreras' 2005-06 forkball and fastball combination working out there.

Or the patented Cooper cutter.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Q & Peavy with awesome games and nothing to show....Humber is the lone winner this series with a mediocre effort.

And that's being VERY generous to the word mediocre.

If a 7.2 ERA for a game isn't bad, then I guess one more run would have been, because we would have lost that game in extra innings, too.

AND SO IT BEGINS...

in seven games (five starts) this season, Quintana is 2-1 with a 1.53 ERA.

“I think the easy thing and probably the correct and probably the thing that makes the most sense is that Quintana doesn’t leave the ball club,” White Sox television color man Steve Stone said. “He’s not the change that you make. He’s throwing too well. When a guy comes up and throws well, you have a tendency to ride the hot hand. You move one of your struggling right-handers to the bullpen. Maybe a lot has to do with Zach Stewart’s start this evening to see exactly how he does. That might make your decision a little easier or it might make the decision tougher if he has a good ball game.”

I looked at his innings pitched:

2006- 5.1

2008- 55.0

2009- 50.1

2010- 38.2

2011- 102.0

2012- 84.0 (48.2 in AA, 35.1 in MLB)

I can sort of see why he's getting the kid's gloves treatment.

Also, pretty good story in the Trib on everybody's favorite lefty.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
Chance at getting pitcher of the month for June, imagine that, Peavy for April and Sale for May, then Q for June, that would be something

He's not been the absolute best in the month, but he's up there. He ought to have 1 more start this month. Another shutout might well do that.

Quintana is so Buehrle it is crazy. Everytime I see him pitch he reminds me more and more of Mark.

The only difference right now is Quintana actually pitches over mistakes. Mark had a tendency to float a few pitches after something bad happened

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Quintana is so Buehrle it is crazy. Everytime I see him pitch he reminds me more and more of Mark.

The only difference right now is Quintana actually pitches over mistakes. Mark had a tendency to float a few pitches after something bad happened

He is like Buehrle but IMO has better raw stuff. It is difficult to pitch with more cunning, guile, and command than Buehrle though.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
He is like Buehrle but IMO has better raw stuff. It is difficult to pitch with more cunning, guile, and command than Buehrle though.

Yeah, I agree...his stuff is a tick better in my opinion, but Mark has big balls.

The Feathered has a bloody penis.