Bobby Jenks and Bsox about to part ways

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Kenny got this one exactly right. Bought low and sold at the right time.

I wouldn't have minded seeing him sold earlier, after seeing how that game went in Minnesota. Pulled the plug at the last possible time to avoid catastrophe is probably the best statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to flame or bait, merely a serious question and I'll provide my answer as well.

Q - When you think of Bobby Jenks' White Sox days do you smile approvingly or frown?

Do you think of Jenks fondly or think ill of him?

A - I smile approvingly and think he had a helluva Sox career considering how most relievers nowadays implode after a few years (who are not named Rivera).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 02:12 AM)
Not trying to flame or bait, merely a serious question and I'll provide my answer as well.

Q - When you think of Bobby Jenks' White Sox days do you smile approvingly or frown?

A - I smile approvingly and think he had a helluva Sox career considering how most relievers nowadays implode after a few years (who are not named Rivera).

Like Jenks?

I smile fondly of memories of him from 05-07, his first three years with the Sox. '08 was ok. '09 and '10 were terrible.

Sox gave him a shot and he capitalized. I thought he'd be the White Sox closer for years, but then he just fell apart.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 02:12 AM)

I will always appreciate every member of the 05 team but Jenks is definitely a guy I do not care about at all and if he wasn't a key part of that team I'd probably dislike. I don't know him on a personal level but he seems like a guy I would not care to ever share a drink with.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Too soon

LOL

I remember the last years with Bobby. He wasn't terrible, but he just wasn't reliable. He started trying to pitch like a starting pitcher, throwing a slower fastball, screwing around with a bunch of different pitches and it all just blew up in his face. I remember how it became a legitimate topic on the news and post game shows about why he hadn't seen his curveball and why his fastball had gotten slower.

He was my AAP so I love him :D

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 07:31 AM)
Like Jenks?

I smile fondly of memories of him from 05-07, his first three years with the Sox. '08 was ok. '09 and '10 were terrible.

Sox gave him a shot and he capitalized. I thought he'd be the White Sox closer for years, but then he just fell apart.

He was Sox closer for years. How many years do you think Reed will be the Sox closer? These guys have short lives on the mound. Look at Soria. You break down as a closer.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 02:31 AM)
Like Jenks?

i still have it ingrained in my head the first time i saw that deadly "off the table" curve ball that went along with his 100 mph fast ball, and thought to my self................."this guy is friggin' unhittable" ........and "he's ours!!!!!!!!" Great memories.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
He was Sox closer for years. How many years do you think Reed will be the Sox closer? These guys have short lives on the mound. Look at Soria. You break down as a closer.

what is your point here? Jenks fell apart. He may have been closer for "years", but he really was only successful the first 2 years. the last 2 he was a ticking time bomb.

What do Soria and Reed have to do with it? Soria was closer for "years" too

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
what is your point here? Jenks fell apart. He may have been closer for "years", but he really was only successful the first 2 years. the last 2 he was a ticking time bomb.

What do Soria and Reed have to do with it? Soria was closer for "years" too

My point is closers aren't very good for more than a handful of years max. Bobby was fine.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
I find it hard to think badly of Bobby....he was always just sort of a big, immature kid who couldn't get out of his own way...but I think he was always destined to be a bit of a "flash in the pan" type of player...

Bobby deserves a ton of credit for making it as far as he did. I really have nothing but good memories of him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
Bobby deserves a ton of credit for making it as far as he did. I really have nothing but good memories of him.

Because you weren't at that game in Minnesota. That was undoubtedly the worst feeling I've ever had as a Sox fan. Nothing compares.

The first thing I think of with Bobby Jenks is 2005, and that was a hell of a ride. Shortly thereafter it's the downfall and how Ozzie kept throwing him out there even though he pretty obviously had nothing left.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 06:24 AM)
Because you weren't at that game in Minnesota. That was undoubtedly the worst feeling I've ever had as a Sox fan. Nothing compares.

The first thing I think of with Bobby Jenks is 2005, and that was a hell of a ride. Shortly thereafter it's the downfall and how Ozzie kept throwing him out there even though he pretty obviously had nothing left.

What do you want the manager to do?

He was putting the team's CLOSER out there.

Just like Ozzie is putting Heath Bell out there. You have to play the guys on the roster.

Bobby had a nice career.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)

That was the day that Ozzie's tenure was over, Bobby's tenure was over, Dunn's started.

That was one of the worst losses I've ever seen. And I wasn't there.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 06:36 AM)
The first thing I think of Bobby is 2005.

The second thing I think of Bobby was when he retired 41 straight (is that still a record?) (What year was it ? 08?)

The third thing I think of Bobby was that damn game in Minnesota.

Two of three are positive memories. Nice.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 01:36 AM)
The first thing I think of Bobby is 2005.

The second thing I think of Bobby was when he retired 41 straight (is that still a record?) (What year was it ? 08?)

The third thing I think of Bobby was that damn game in Minnesota.

It was '08.

I agree with these.