2012-2013 Official NHL thread

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hocke...,0,269546.story

The Chicago Blackhawks have kept some of their own in the fold as they have re-signed forwards Brandon Bollig and Ben Smith and goaltender Carter Hutton.

Bollig and Smith each inked two-year deals Monday while Hutton signed for one year. The Hawks also released goalie Alexander Salak, who had been placed on waivers but wasn't picked up by another NHL team.

The 25-year-old Bollig made his NHL debut during the 2011-12 season, taking over the role as the team's enforcer after John Scott was dealt to the Rangers at the trade deadline.

Bollig appeared in 18 regular-season games and four of the Western Conference quarterfinals contests against the Coyotes.

Over the last two seasons, Smith, 23, has three goals in 19 regular-season games and three scores in the postseason.

Hutton, 26, took over the No. 1 goaltending spot with the Rockford IceHogs from Salak last season, compiling a 22-13-4 record with three shutouts, a 2.35 goals-against average and .917 save percentage in 43 regular-season games.

Salak, 25, was 6-10-2 with a 2.69 goals-against in 21 games with Rockford but fell out of favor with the organization.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Committed Indians

Bowman told the media Hossa + Montador are progressing & hopes theyrready for Sept. Also said Carcillo's skating & "close to 100%"

Bowman said that both Hossa and Montador have already started offseason training programs, which is great news.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Committed Indians

Bowman told the media Hossa + Montador are progressing & hopes theyrready for Sept. Also said Carcillo's skating & "close to 100%"

If Montador came back healthy and contributing, that would be huge, especially considering his salary number.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
Chris De Luca ‏@ChrisDeLuca

#Blackhawks actively shopping defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson :

According to ESPN Insider...Montador also may be on the block.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
I'd give my left nut for Bobby Ryan.

He's obviously a really good player, but offense is not this team's problem. I suppose a Hammer + young prospect (Beach) might be a good starting point, but he doesn't solve this team's main issues in preventing goals.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
He's obviously a really good player, but offense is not this team's problem. I suppose a Hammer + young prospect (Beach) might be a good starting point, but he doesn't solve this team's main issues in preventing goals.

We're still short top 6 forwards.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
We're still short top 6 forwards.

Yeah, absolutely. The biggest problem this team had was finding someone who consistently put the biscuit in the basket.

That, and, um, our goalies suck.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
Yeah, absolutely. The biggest problem this team had was finding someone who consistently put the biscuit in the basket.

That, and, um, our goalies suck.

For a team that couldn't put the biscuit in the basket, they still finished 5th in the league in goals scored, even with injuries to #10 & #19.

And the goalies still suck, and they waited til the 7th round to draft any more.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
For a team that couldn't put the biscuit in the basket, they still finished 5th in the league in goals scored, even with injuries to #10 & #19.

And the goalies still suck, and they waited til the 7th round to draft any more.

FWIW, the Hawks said that both the tenders they picked were on their radar in previous rounds but saw better overall value elsewhere.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
FWIW, the Hawks said that both the tenders they picked were on their radar in previous rounds but saw better overall value elsewhere.

Interesting. That probably puts them at 4th/5th round talent on the Hawks' board, but I still would have liked to see one picked earlier than that. Especially since they dumped Salak.

Aaron Portzline, great writer for the Columbus Dispatch and covers the Jackets, reports that the Hawks are interested in Luongo and just have to find a way to work out the obvious money issue.

Check out his twitter: @Aportzline.

I don't know how I feel about this. If the Canucks are going to pay most of the money and the Hawks don't have to give much up, I wouldn't be totally against it, but Luongo is like LeBron except LeBron finally figured out his postseason issues. Will Luongo ever do that?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
Aaron Portzline, great writer for the Columbus Dispatch and covers the Jackets, reports that the Hawks are interested in Luongo and just have to find a way to work out the obvious money issue.

I don't know how I feel about this. If the Canucks are going to pay most of the money and the Hawks don't have to give much up, I wouldn't be totally against it, but Luongo is like LeBron except LeBron finally figured out his postseason issues. Will Luongo ever do that?

The Canucks cannot pay the money. Another contract would have to go the other way for it to work. All of his cap hit would go to the Hawks.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
The Canucks cannot pay the money. Another contract would have to go the other way for it to work. All of his cap hit would go to the Hawks.

That's what I meant. Would they be willing to take a bigger deal back to either lessen the cap hit for the Hawks?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)

Luongo is so much better than what we have in goal, even with his shortcomings. This team becomes an instant cup contender with the guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)
Luongo is so much better than what we have in goal, even with his shortcomings. This team becomes an instant cup contender with the guy.

Yeah, but part of me would feel a little dirty though. I haven't spent the last few years exactly rooting for the guy.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 06:54 PM)
Luongo does not want to be a Blackhawk from articles I have seen.

Actually he's stated numerous times the UC is his favorite place to play ironically enough. Plus alot of the guys he didn't particularly like (Eager, Ladd, Byfuglien, etc.) are gone now. Kane might be pissed though. He usually has a good 2+ point nights with Lou in net.

This would be shocking to say the least with his contract. But McDonough is well known for his tendency to make a big news splash.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)

Yeah, but that contract is brutal. It's front-loaded like Hossa's, so he might retire before it ends, but that's a $5.333 million cap hit for at least 7 years til age 40.

I would love to see the meatball contingent react to a Luongo trade though. They would absolutely go bonkers.

Edited by LittleHurt05