2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
What exactly would you rather have them do? Let Oduya walk and overpay someone else instead?

Oduya could of walked he did not bring anything to the table.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
Oduya could of walked he did not bring anything to the table.

First, you didn't answer the questions. Allowing Oduya to just walk accomplishes nothing.

Second, that's absolutely silly. The Hawks might not have made the playoffs without Oduya. He was phenomenal down the stretch.

It's amazing how people forget that the Hawks were the best team in the NHL before that nine game losing streak. And if not for some bad luck, would have been in the second round of the playoffs.

Would love to see Bowman sign Shane Doan. Unlike many of the older FA he's signed, Doan can actually skate, and brings a ton of grit on an otherwise, soft top 6. He'd be terrific. (had his best year as a LW with Reinprecht and Perrault centering him ironically enough) He's everything we hope Kyle Beach would become.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
It's amazing how people forget that the Hawks were the best team in the NHL before that nine game losing streak. And if not for some bad luck, would have been in the second round of the playoffs.

Would of............ could of............... should of...............................2 years in a row 1st round exit for a very underachieving team last year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
First, you didn't answer the questions. Allowing Oduya to just walk accomplishes nothing.

Second, that's absolutely silly. The Hawks might not have made the playoffs without Oduya. He was phenomenal down the stretch.

Sure it accomplishes something, it doesn't give you a f***ing turnstyle on the blue line. He's Campbell defensively with not even close to his skill offensively.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
Would of............ could of............... should of...............................2 years in a row 1st round exit for a very underachieving team last year.

And one of those years we needed help from a Dallas choke job to even sneak into the 8th seed.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)

I've yet to see you present your master plan on how to make the Hawks a Stanley Cup winner.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)
I've yet to see you present your master plan on how to make the Hawks a Stanley Cup winner.

Or how to use the word "have" instead of "of"...

The Blackhawks made their bid to each of the top two free agents, there's nothing to complain about there. Also, this team played great with Oduya, sure he stunk against the Coyotes, but so did the rest of the roster. I'm glad to have him back.

I'm not a Bowman fan, but he tried to make a splash and special circumstances made the Wild of all teams the landing spot for both these guys. It's not like we lost them to Detroit or Pittsburgh. It was different.

Slav has an even head in this discussion.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
Sure it accomplishes something, it doesn't give you a f***ing turnstyle on the blue line. He's Campbell defensively with not even close to his skill offensively.

Yet he still managed to get the puck out of the defensive zone and start enough breaks to be a difference maker while not making a damn near max contract.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)

Not my job comment was on Oduya nothing else.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
David Kaplan

Wow, Roberto Luongo lists the Blackhawks and the Panthers as his preferred destinations. Says it is time to move on from Vancouver.

Now that's interesting. He no trade listed the Hawks like a week ago.

Kaplan's likely full of s*** and tweeting from the tanning bed.

edit: slav, it was a joke, you don't need to fly to the honor of your boy Kaplan.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)

Yeah, like I said earlier, Luongo wouldn't be ideal, but he is way f***ing better than what we have, chokes and all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Yeah, like I said earlier, Luongo wouldn't be ideal, but he is way f***ing better than what we have, chokes and all.

He is, but that contract, my God that contract. Luongo is 33 right now, and has a $5.33 million annual salary cap hit until he is 43. Sure, it looks ok for maybe 3 more years, but what about the remaining SEVEN?

I just think there has to be a better way to get a goaltender than one with that God-awful piece of paper.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
Do you think Luongo can get this team back to the promise land, and win the Stanley Cup. As you mentioned, he is already 33.

If you don't think he can, then there isn't any point in even thinking about the possibility.

I haven't once advocated the addition of Luongo, and I don't think it'd be smart, but to directly answer your very good question...

Yes, I think Luongo could be a difference-maker that wins us a Cup.

I also think the Hawks could, if they ever decide to focus on the position, find a solution in the net and improve the line enough to win a Cup in the same short-term, and not be f***ed long-term.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
I wasn't calling you out, I more meant from a front office perspective.

I didn't think you were, I just wanted to preface my response with my feelings on Luongo.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)

edit: slav, it was a joke, you don't need to fly to the honor of your boy Kaplan.

Ok?

I was really hoping the Hawks could try to swing a deal for Ondrej Pavelec, but he re-signed a while back. I've long advocated trading for Miikka Kiprusoff, but it seems like the Flames are trying to contend.

I don't want Luongo because of his paper. Way too much for way too long.

Is Bernier a decent option?

He wants out of LA and everyone knows it, which would maybe lower what they can get for him.

I'm not sold on him completely yet due to the small sample size, but he's young and inexpensive.

Thoughts?

Bernier may be young and inexpensive, but the Kings know that those in demand for a Goaltender can ask for a hefty price.

Fortunately, the Hawks may be able to swing a deal with prospects/draft picks.

The Kings may ask for the Hawks' top prospects at any position (Saad, McNeill, Olsen) plus multiple draft picks.