2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)
We don't disagree much, but I disagree with you here. Q is far from a free pass at this point just because they are in the final.

Knowing there was a good chance Hossa may not play, and not even having Smith take the warm up (while Mayers did) is completely inexcusable. That's just awful.

Kane comes out of his slump against the Kings while reunited with Toews. What happens? Splits them up against Boston (something you even said would be stupid when the lines were introduced in practice before game 1). And neither guy has played too well. Haven't scored a goal in what, 6 periods worth? Here's an idea...88+19.

Hossa out last night, puts Toews with Kruger and Frolik? WTF was that?

Power play is garbage. Yes it's Kompon's job, in theory, but Q's the head coach, and they are 0 for their last 84.

Plays Bollig, his f***up leads to a GWG.

I'm not blaming everything on him, but there's plenty to take issue with here.

This all sucks, and is all garbage that you or I have already pointed out ad nauseum, but it also does not = the hot seat.

EDIT: At least not in my eyes. We'll see how I feel after Game 4 tonight. If only I can find NBCSN.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 08:20 AM)
This all sucks, and is all garbage that you or I have already pointed out ad nauseum, but it also does not = the hot seat.

EDIT: At least not in my eyes. We'll see how I feel after Game 4 tonight. If only I can find NBCSN.

Tonight's game and the rest of the series is on NBC and not the cable channel.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 08:20 AM)

FWIW, I agree. These are all valid criticisms (and not, imo mere second-guessings, though they may seem like it down 2-1), particularly the power play, given Q's decisions to bounce responsiblity for it from Kitchen to Haviland to Kitchen to Kompon in the last two years alone. Furthermore, as I recall, when he brought Kompon over from LA, he had been the subject of criticism about his power play there, and there were not many tears shed in LA when he left.

But I can't see that or any other issues buying Q the hot seat after a President's Trophy and a trip to the Finals. Then again, I was shocked they gave Tallon the shoe when they did, even though to me, his cap management sins were more egregious than Q's coaching ones.

I think someone can be called to the carpet without being on the hot seat. If you want reasons the Hawks are trailing in this series, Q is as much to blame as anyone, IMO. It doesn't mean he's on a proverbial hot seat.

Hossa not on the ice for morning skate.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
I think someone can be called to the carpet without being on the hot seat. If you want reasons the Hawks are trailing in this series, Q is as much to blame as anyone, IMO. It doesn't mean he's on a proverbial hot seat.

Hossa not on the ice for morning skate.

Mayers is skating in his place with Handzus & Sharp. That makes me think that Hossa will play tonight, because no way Mayers plays on that line. Unless Q is trying to pull a fast one on Julien again, ha.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
Mayers is skating in his place with Handzus & Sharp. That makes me think that Hossa will play tonight, because no way Mayers plays on that line. Unless Q is trying to pull a fast one on Julien again, ha.

Agreed, though I'd feel better about the whole thing if he took the morning skate.

So we head back to what was dominating the LA Kings and should have never changed. In the shootaround.

Bickell - Toews - Kane

Sharp - Handzus - Mayers Hossa

Saad - Shaw - Stalberg

Kruger - Bolland - Frolik

Those top 3 lines are just ridiculous.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
So we head back to what was dominating the LA Kings and should have never changed. In the shootaround.

Bickell - Toews - Kane

Saad - Shaw - Stalberg

Hey there's a thought like I said yesterday, 19+88.

Who knows if it works, but you MUST play them together.

As has been talked about the past few days, we need more than just shots on Rask. They need to get traffic, they need to get shots that aren't just from the half-wall.

I'd say get a power play goal too, but now I'm just being greedy. And stupid. But seriously, that would be great.

3-1 Hawks with an EN goal tonight? Please?

Lose tonight and it's over. Save me the whole "they came back from 3-1 against Detroit, they can do it again!" crap. Boston isn't Detroit.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)

Bickell - Toews - Kane

Saad - Shaw - Stalberg

This is perfect, pretty much how I would have lined them up. To me, Bickell isn't a real first-liner but pairs up with those two really well.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Tonight's game doesn't know what happened the past 2 games. Irrelevant.

So can I see the Hawks losing one game tonight? Of course.

It's funny how our brains are the same.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Tonight's game doesn't know what happened the past 2 games. Irrelevant.

So can I see the Hawks losing one game tonight? Of course.

Yep. First rule of statistics

Or second.

One of the rules!!

I see it as relevant because the more the teams get acquainted with each other the more adjustments that will be made. It's like a giant chess game. It's the Stanley Cup! I don't know much about hockey but still, good teams make the necessary adjustments.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
This is perfect, pretty much how I would have lined them up. To me, Bickell isn't a real first-liner but pairs up with those two really well.

And Handzus is really a 4th liner, but hey its what we have.