2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
Lol that jersey is 160 not what I'd call cheap. Right now I just have a jersey shirt from the winter classic and was wanting something better.

You have three options to choose from in the, hands down, best jersey set of any professional sports team. There is no need to select something other than what you see below. Choose wisely.

chicago_blackhawks_youth_premier_third_j 80080963.jpg chicago-blackhawks-edge-authentic-jersey

Quick aside. I am STILL annoyed that the NHL switched to colors at home. I still think of the white jersey as the home sweater.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
You have three options to choose from in the, hands down, best jersey set of any professional sports team. There is no need to select something other than what you see below. Choose wisely.

chicago_blackhawks_youth_premier_third_j 80080963.jpg chicago-blackhawks-edge-authentic-jersey

Quick aside. I am STILL annoyed that the NHL switched to colors at home. I still think of the white jersey as the home sweater.

Buy 'em before sensitive people make us the Chicago Fightin' Chicagoans!

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
I think the shortened season should make this kind of streak more unlikely. The lack of preparation for the season should have made for more inconsistent play.

I agree. I actually have no idea how you could justify putting an asterisk on a straight up win streak. Shortening a season makes any record less likely, just a strange thing to say.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
I think the shortened season should make this kind of streak more unlikely. The lack of preparation for the season should have made for more inconsistent play.

The lack of changes in the Hawks have to be a huge factor in the streak. They have all been together for a while, especially the core guys. There is no learning on the fly going on here.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
Are the Hawks gonna wear those throwbacks this year?

They aren't really throwbacks - the logo is an homage to the jerseys of the 30s and 40s...

Blackhawks09.png

But it was a straight-up new design for the Winter Classic in Wrigley

winterclassicchicago1.jpg

LOL at Baby Toews.

Obviously, the design was so f***ing gorgeous they kept it on (sans patch) as the new third jersey, replacing the rarely seen black alternate...

152747923_com-jonathan-toews-jersey-reeb

And yes, I'd hope we see those Winter Classic alternates, and I'm sure we will. I'm glad the Hawks don't bust them out all the time - save them for a national game on NBC when you're not in a 19-game undefeated in regulation streak.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
Lol that jersey is 160 not what I'd call cheap. Right now I just have a jersey shirt from the winter classic and was wanting something better.

I don't care if it costs $500, the point is the jersey is ridiculous. If you get a real one, don't get the knockoffs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)

Me too, grew up with the whites.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
They aren't really throwbacks - the logo is an homage to the jerseys of the 30s and 40s...

But it was a straight-up new design for the Winter Classic in Wrigley

Obviously, the design was so f***ing gorgeous they kept it on (sans patch) as the new third jersey, replacing the rarely seen black alternate...

And yes, I'd hope we see those Winter Classic alternates, and I'm sure we will. I'm glad the Hawks don't bust them out all the time - save them for a national game on NBC when you're not in a 19-game undefeated in regulation streak.

I thought the Hawks permanently stopped using an alternate/3rd jersey starting last year - maybe once in a while it will show up, but I'm pretty sure it's done - at least the Winter Classic style one. And the classic jersey, just in black, hasn't been around in years.

I'm pretty sure they didn't wear anything other than the classics last year, and certainly haven't this year.

I wish they'd just break out the barber poles once in a while if they are going to use a 3rd, but I fear they'll make a completely new (and maybe bad) style just to sell more to the masses.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
I want a BHawks sweater, despite the fact I can't afford it and it is difficult for me to fathom a situation where I would wear it minus going to a hockey game.

I get great authentic ones from this store in downtown Galena. Ill see if they have a website.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
I want a BHawks sweater, despite the fact I can't afford it and it is difficult for me to fathom a situation where I would wear it minus going to a hockey game.

Are you saying there is something wrong with wearing a Blackhawks sweater when there is no game going on? :huh:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:06 AM)
This would be a record if they had a full 82 game schedule ahead of them, so I don't really understand the qualification.

I'm not a hockey player, nor have I played any sport with an 81 game schedule, but there has to be a different frame of mind or approach by NHL players embarking on a 48 game season as opposed to an 81 game season. Again, the extent of my experience with sports is football and baseball in high school, but after graduation, it was very off-putting to not be in camp for football when that time rolled around. It's how I imagine what it would feel like to have a phantom limb. It's not hard to imagine that starting the season in the middle of winter as opposed to the familiar late summer/early fall start would similarly throw NHLers off.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)

As this has been going on, that was my line of thinking as well, and it's probably right to an extent, but some NHL players were playing at a professional level overseas for months and were in peak form right off the bat, while others had rust to deal with. Lack of rest, recuperation, and time to heal injuries won't discriminate against any team this year, but the quality of play is probably going to take some kind of hit as a result. Even during a regular season there will be teams coming off some rest who get to play a team at the end of a brutal stretch of games, but that's especially amplified in a year like this. You could even argue that there will be teams who are playing hot that may have otherwise cooled down if there was more time to do so in between games

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Realignment

The National Hockey League sent out a memo to its 30 teams on Tuesday, and obtained by TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, regarding a new plan for realignment, including two conferences, four divisions and a playoff format with wild card teams.

Instead of going to four conferences as was the original plan in December 2011, the new plan calls for two conferences (East and West) containing two divisions each.

The Pacific Division: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

The Mid-West Division: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

The Central Division: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

The Atlantic Division: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.

The playoff format calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-card teams, the top two records remaining in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

It would be divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs, so 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 in the first round. The two fourth seeds would be made up of the wild-card teams. The top division winner based on regular-season points in the standings would face off against the lower-ranked wild-card team. The other division winner would play the higher-ranked wild-card.

First-round winners then meet in second round in the division championship; Third round sees Pacific winner vs. Mid-West winner in Western Conference finals; Central winner versus Atlantic winner in Eastern Conference finals; Eastern and Western Conference champions meet in Stanley Cup finals.

The regular season schedule would see teams play every team in the other conference home and away.

This plan is tentative as it still requires approval from both the NHL Board of Governors and the NHL Players' Association.

The NHL and the NHLPA have been working on this together for three weeks.

Am I getting this right? With the wild-card teams, couldn't a MidWest team technically win the Pacific divisional playoffs? Doesn't that ruin the point of having divisional playoff rounds?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
Am I getting this right? With the wild-card teams, couldn't a MidWest team technically win the Pacific divisional playoffs? Doesn't that ruin the point of having divisional playoff rounds?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
That's stupid.

I'm fine with it. If the 5th seed in one division better than the 4th seed in the other division, I guess it's reasonable to take their spot. AHL used to do this when their was an imbalance in # of teams.

Edit: I guess you could have the division winner in Division A playing the 4 seed in Division B, and then Division B Winner playing the Division B 5 seed.

That part does seem odd. Just let the 5 take the 4 in the other division.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
I'm fine with it. If the 5th seed in one division better than the 4th seed in the other division, I guess it's reasonable to take their spot. AHL used to do this when their was an imbalance in # of teams.

It's definitely fair to have that 5th team take a spot, but why not just keep it set as conference playoffs then. Under the new format, the conf. finals could pit the Pacific champion Chicago Blackhawks vs. the Midwest champion Vancouver Cancuks. That's stupid.