2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Wonder what the status is on Hossa and how this impacts this move.

Bowman recently said that Hossa was supposed to be ready to go for camp, as was Montador. Maybe he suffered a setback? IMO, this would be a panic move by the front office, much like the Campbell signing.

Parise in a Hawks uniform would be awesome, but that would probably require trading Hammer, and correct if I'm wrong but scoring goals wasn't the problem last year, giving up goals was the big issue. Seems like spending that money on Suter would make more sense, although I'm convinced he will be a Red Wing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Parise in a Hawks uniform would be awesome, but that would probably require trading Hammer, and correct if I'm wrong but scoring goals wasn't the problem last year, giving up goals was the big issue. Seems like spending that money on Suter would make more sense, although I'm convinced he will be a Red Wing.

True, but Brookbank is the type of stay-at-home d-man that is willing to block shots on a PK. He's a younger and quicker Brent Sopel. And probably better than Hammer at that part of the game.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
True, but Brookbank is the type of stay-at-home d-man that is willing to block shots on a PK. He's a younger and quicker Brent Sopel. And probably better than Hammer at that part of the game.

Brookbank does sound like the type of D-man the Hawks were lacking last year, although he's probably just a #5/6. Thought I read that he would have been 3rd on the time in hits last season. And he's 9 years younger than Sean O'Donnell, which is nice.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
Brookbank does sound like the type of D-man the Hawks were lacking last year, although he's probably just a #5/6. Thought I read that he would have been 3rd on the time in hits last season. And he's 9 years younger than Sean O'Donnell, which is nice.

That's ok...so was Sopel, but he was HUGE when he needed to be, blocking shots and eating PK time. That's what Brookbank hopefully can continue to be.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
I know teams have back channels to talk to these guys before July 1, but signing 5-6 year mega deals in the first few hours, or even days has seemed so stupid to me. It's a monumental decision that effects a ton of people. I have never had a problem with these guys taking time before signing the dotted line.

Yeah, I just don't see the purpose of the press conference.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Yeah, I just don't see the purpose of the press conference.

He didn't call for it. The media just showed up to his agent's office and pretty much demanded he say something.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
He didn't call for it. The media just showed up to his agent's office and pretty much demanded he say something.

Ah, well, that's just damn stupid then. My apologies to Mr. Parise if he ever reads this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
Ah, well, that's just damn stupid then. My apologies to Mr. Parise if he ever reads this.

The most recent rumor is that he was ready to sign with NJ but the Hawks offer and interest has him going back to ask his wife or future wife if she minds moving to Chicago. I guess he's about to get married or newly married and he may view Chicago as a place to "settle down."

Please let this be true and then f***ing deal Kaner for a top line defenseman.

I wonder if they already have a deal for Kane in place if Parise accepts, because I can't see them taking on that big of a contract without moving one in return. But I'm no expert on the Hawks/ NHL cap situations.