2012-2013 Official NHL thread

They looked really tired last night. I don't know if it was the schedule catching up with them, or the weight of the streak finally getting to them, but they looked a step slow all night. Really after Crawford gave up that soft second goal, it was all downhill. The crazy thing is the Hawks need about 10 points the rest of the year to make the playoffs. Now is the time to get healthy, and stay healthy.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 07:17 AM)
Now the rest of the season is a formality. Seedings and records mean nothing for the playoffs. Roll the four lines rest the stars and be prepared for the playoffs. Hockey regular season is a step above mlb spring training in determining how the playoffs will flush out.

It was exciting but means nothing if bounced in round one. they don't win the Stanley Cup.

Records don't mean anything but you definitely want the 1 seed. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but you still want the home ice for game 7's and the "easier" path. Seed does matter.

Corrected the second paragraph.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
What a miserable start. The Hawks have the target on their backs now.

I wish I followed the advice of some Vegas "insider" who was doing a betting segment 2 Friday's ago on the radio. He said once the Blackhawks lose, bet against them the following game because he anticipates a big letdown. Edmonton was +200 tonight.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
I wish I followed the advice of some Vegas "insider" who was doing a betting segment 2 Friday's ago on the radio. He said once the Blackhawks lose, bet against them the following game because he anticipates a big letdown. Edmonton was +200 tonight.

Not over yet...

Hell of an entertaining hockey game. 4 goal deficits aren't overcome very often. Among other things, I'd like to thank Mayers for putting the game at 4 goals. Ridiculously stupid. No one on Edmonton is going to drop their gloves to try to wake the Hawks up, he drops them and gets the unsportsmanlike. I said right away that I guarantee they would score on this PP, it's just one of those penalties you know will end up on the scoreboard.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 11:51 PM)
Hell of an entertaining hockey game. 4 goal deficits aren't overcome very often. Among other things, I'd like to thank Mayers for putting the game at 4 goals. Ridiculously stupid. No one on Edmonton is going to drop their gloves to try to wake the Hawks up, he drops them and gets the unsportsmanlike. I said right away that I guarantee they would score on this PP, it's just one of those penalties you know will end up on the scoreboard.

Isnt that part of fighting etiquette though?

I know twice in Bruins games this year where one time Lucic dropped them right after taking a 2-0 lead in Carolina and the Hurricanes announcers saying that is what a professional does when asked to fight during a face-off. And just recently Shawn Thornton did the same thing and said during an intermission interview that as a fighter you should oblige because there are times when the roles are reversed and how that particular player gave him the same courtesy in the past. Almost as if its part of a code.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 10:51 PM)

I so hate fighting in hockey.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:47 AM)
Isnt that part of fighting etiquette though?

I know twice in Bruins games this year where one time Lucic dropped them right after taking a 2-0 lead in Carolina and the Hurricanes announcers saying that is what a professional does when asked to fight during a face-off. And just recently Shawn Thornton did the same thing and said during an intermission interview that as a fighter you should oblige because there are times when the roles are reversed and how that particular player gave him the same courtesy in the past. Almost as if its part of a code.

I don't see that. I'm sure every fighter wants to have a fight when they want one, but no, nothing says you have to fight if a guy wants to fight. Guys are turned down a decent amount of the time. Your first job is to help your team win the game. You can turn down a fight if it's going to end up possibly hurting your team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
I so hate fighting in hockey.

I absolutely hate staged fighting in hockey, but I'm fine with the spontaneous scraps.