2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
The contrast between the Hawks and Bulls is amazing. The Hawks are out there chasing the top guys on the market. The Bulls are chasing Kirk Hinrich.

Well the Hawks have money, the Bulls don't. It's different when you can be a FA player than when you have to work through trades. I seem to recall the Bulls chasing LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc. two years ago...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
With the parts and picks they have, the Bulls could be a player if they wanted to.

Who says they are not? I am sure they would be heavy favorites to land Dwight if he wanted to play here. Who else could they realistically obtain as a second piece to Rose? While the pieces they have are good, they aren't super attractive to other teams. Deng is overpaid and oft-injured. Same for Boozer. Same for Noah. Taj is good, but still just a complimentary piece. I mean there also have to be players available that actually make the team better. Beyond Dwight, I don't really know if there are that many options out there.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Well the Hawks have money, the Bulls don't. It's different when you can be a FA player than when you have to work through trades. I seem to recall the Bulls chasing LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc. two years ago...

Hawks don't really have the money either. Only like $7M of cap space, I believe.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Hawks don't really have the money either. Only like $7M of cap space, I believe.

It's closer to $8M, but that much money in hockey is not equivalent to $8M in basketball. $8M in the NBA gets you Omer Asik apparently. $8M in hockey is more than Toews is paid.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Zach Parise has inked a 13-year deal with the Minnesota Wild worth $98 million.

To be honest, new players are fun, but that's a f***ton for a player who had 69 points last season.

Holy hell. Yeah. I mean we really aren't missing star power. What we are missing is those complimentary players like we had with Ladd, Buff, Steeger, etc.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Who says they are not? I am sure they would be heavy favorites to land Dwight if he wanted to play here. Who else could they realistically obtain as a second piece to Rose? While the pieces they have are good, they aren't super attractive to other teams. Deng is overpaid and oft-injured. Same for Boozer. Same for Noah. Taj is good, but still just a complimentary piece. I mean there also have to be players available that actually make the team better. Beyond Dwight, I don't really know if there are that many options out there.

No one has said the Bulls are doing anything. The closest they came was dumping Lu for a draft pick. Oh joy, the Bulls are serious.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
No one has said the Bulls are doing anything. The closest they came was dumping Lu for a draft pick. Oh joy, the Bulls are serious.

Give me guys who are available that the Bulls could actually obtain in a trade. I mean their hands are really tied here. They have bad contracts to guys who are injury-prone. Who wants to trade for Luol Deng when he has a torn wrist? Who wants to trade for Boozer when he doesn't play D and can't finish around the rim?

Sorry for hi-jacking a Hawks thread, ha.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Give me guys who are available that the Bulls could actually obtain in a trade. I mean their hands are really tied here. They have bad contracts to guys who are injury-prone. Who wants to trade for Luol Deng when he has a torn wrist? Who wants to trade for Boozer when he doesn't play D and can't finish around the rim?

Sorry for hi-jacking a Hawks thread, ha.

Deng was connected to multiple teams during the draft. There was obviously some interest there. Seeing what Hibbert and Asik got offered, Noah would be worth a metric s***ton on this market.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Suter and Parise signed identical contracts.

How cute.

Minnesota Wild = Miami Heat????

If anybody was gonna sign them both, I'd much rather it be Minnesota than Detroit. And if Minnesota ever gets relevant again, maybe we can start rekindling the old Hawks/Stars rivalry.

The other positive is that the Hawks have not lost a top player from last season. Detroit is minus Lidstrom, Nashville minus Suter, with no obvious replacements.

CSNCHICAGO/CHICAGO SUN-TIMES: The Blackhawks could look to Bouwmeester, but aren’t expected to get into the bidding for Nash or Ryan. They are rumored shopping defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson. They could also look toward free agency, where Semin and Doan are available, though there could be plenty of competition for their services.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/fallout-fro...gs-july-5-2012/

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
CSNCHICAGO/CHICAGO SUN-TIMES: The Blackhawks could look to Bouwmeester, but aren’t expected to get into the bidding for Nash or Ryan. They are rumored shopping defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson. They could also look toward free agency, where Semin and Doan are available, though there could be plenty of competition for their services.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/fallout-fro...gs-july-5-2012/

Semin or Bouwmeester do not make the Hawks a better team.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Minnesota Wild = Miami Heat????

If anybody was gonna sign them both, I'd much rather it be Minnesota than Detroit. And if Minnesota ever gets relevant again, maybe we can start rekindling the old Hawks/Stars rivalry.

The other positive is that the Hawks have not lost a top player from last season. Detroit is minus Lidstrom, Nashville minus Suter, with no obvious replacements.

Meanwhile, the Hawks haven't improved on defense or in goal, either. Giving the turnover machine Oduya all the money they did was a Hjalmarsson-type mistake.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Semin or Bouwmeester do not make the Hawks a better team.

Meanwhile, the Hawks haven't improved on defense or in goal, either. Giving the turnover machine Oduya all the money they did was a Hjalmarsson-type mistake.

Oduya would have gotten even more on the open market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
The contrast between the Hawks and Bulls is amazing. The Hawks are out there chasing the top guys on the market. The Bulls are chasing Kirk Hinrich.

Not sure I get this. Bulls went big when they had money to spend. They don't have it now. Really there is nothing they can do.