2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Well, he did retire twice. You automatically assumed I meant after '98. But I still don't consider them to be from the same era. That would be like lumping Dr. J and MJ into the same era.

*three times

We as Bulls fans don't speak of that third time, though.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Hey Im just pointing out this s*** again. I didnt cry about it for 3 pages and then create a mock thread about it. Neither did I tell you not to talk about it.

:huh I didn't want Felix to feel left out, he can talk about the WNBA all he wants to his little heart's content.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Yes, but with the 90s being slightly less terrible. :P

More like late-80's through mid-90's. The league went to s*** in the late 90's when guys like MJ, Hakeem, Barkley, Pippen, ect. had either retired or significantly declined. A lot of the drafts in the late 80's/early 90's weren't very good, so there weren't a lot of superstars to replace them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
You didn't need it back then. There's this one guy, I won't mention his name, but it rhymes with Jill Tussell, that is considered to be one of the 10 best players of all time even though he's really not.

I so don't want to hear about what is a good topic again...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
I just don't get this exceptionalism that people want to apply to Rose since he's arguably one of the 5 best players in the NBA. His teammates are grinding it balls-out every night and really pushing to their limits while Rose, through his entourage, is like "there's no point in me coming back." Obviously, nobody wanted Rose to come back before he was healthy or "ready" but we've been long past the point where re-injury or other injuries like Rubio had was a risk, but I'd feel some kind of way about that if I was one of his teammates although I'd never say it out loud or on the record.

If Rose's plan all along was to never play this season, he should've just said that instead of trying to be mealy-mouthed about it and string everyone all along and he'd have saved so much unnecessary drama. The more he talked about it the worse he made it sound, since Rose was never a great communicator to begin with. Listening to Rose speak in public is like watching Michael J. Fox try to compete in a Jenga tournament.

Once I read Reggie Rose's comments that HE'D had an ACL injury before that "ended" his college career, which you know in his mind means before he got a chance to dominate the NBA, I knew that we are f***ed.

Reggie holds so much anger over getting injured. It's clear that he's projecting his fears into his little brother's mind. You know, the kid that was cleared to return by the best doctors money can buy well over a month ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
Any rivival of Bill Russell b****ing disqualifies you from any sort of respectability on quality discussions.

Or apparently any discussion about rules in the NBA.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Once I read Reggie Rose's comments that HE'D had an ACL injury before that "ended" his college career, which you know in his mind means before he got a chance to dominate the NBA, I knew that we are f***ed.

Reggie holds so much anger over getting injured. It's clear that he's projecting his fears into his little brother's mind. You know, the kid that was cleared to return by the best doctors money can buy well over a month ago.

I originally used to think it was a good thing that Reggie had that experience to relate to Derrick, but it's clear that Derrick looks up to his brother and does whatever he says, which he's done his whole life... but he's his own man now, he's 24.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
I originally used to think it was a good thing that Reggie had that experience to relate to Derrick, but it's clear that Derrick looks up to his brother and does whatever he says, which he's done his whole life... but he's his own man now, he's 24.

Sadly, despite being worth a gajillion dollars, he's not his own man.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
:huh I didn't want Felix to feel left out, he can talk about the WNBA all he wants to his little heart's content.

I thought about replying to this with something drawn out and detailed, but decided you weren't the time.

That said, I'm not above calling you a f***ing idiot and leaving it at that. Have a nice day!

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 05:55 PM)
I thought about replying to this with something drawn out and detailed, but decided you weren't the time.

That said, I'm not above calling you a f***ing idiot and leaving it at that. Have a nice day!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
lol. Damn. Don't mess with Felix.

I mean, he's got a point.

All four posts of WNBA discussion that Felix and I had definitely are what is ruining this thread, not the multiple pages of MexSox b****ing about it.

I'm sure one of these days there will be a fun book written about this.

People like to hate on the Bulls, but Derrick is crazy if he is going to intentionally avoid playing for a team with this much talent. I'm sure he'd love for the Bulls to have Kevin Love or James Harden or whomever else he is wishing for, but the team he has has a pretty damn good supporting cast. If he doesn't want to play for them this year, they are likely to only get weaker or at best stay the same in talent in the next year or two. He's just wasting his odds with this group.

I like to think of it this way. Maybe this group with a healthy Derrick would beat the Heat in 25% of series matchups. This means in 4 years, we ought to get a title (because who would beat the Heat and then lose in the Finals?). Derrick's injury lost them a chance to roll the dice again last year, and it looks like he's willing to forsake another roll of the dice. It is likely and possible we can bring the same core back next year and surely Derrick will be playing by then. Unfortunately, though, we'll be going strong in the playoffs (presumably) for the second time in four seasons at that point. Next year will definitely be the last year with that core. You'll be dropping Deng and Boozer after next season, if they make it that long.

Say what you will about Deng and Boozer, but the team is worse when they are gone unless we pull another star out of our butt. Derrick seems to be betting that we will somehow be getting more championship ready in the next year or two and that's asking too much. We put together at least a second-best team here and he's wasting it. You know what raises a team like the Bulls from loser to the Heat to beating the Heat? How about a superstar performance? His solution seems to be to wait around for another superstar to appear when the team is built for HIM to be THE guy. We know its flaws, but seriously, if there is strategy in his staying out then it is seriously misguided.

Being upset over the construction of the roster is about one of the least acceptable reasons to not want to play (assuming that is true - which I don't think it is, but I do wonder, and he's really left that door wide open for people to speculate on)

All I know is Derrick Rose makes a f***ton of money in salary and endorsements because he plays basketball. We're almost a full year into his new monster deal, and the doctors cleared him to play forever ago.

The Bulls f***ed this situation up by letting him determine when he plays. I'm sure they just never expected Reggie to project his fears onto Rose and for Rose, competitor that he always seemed, to not want to be on the court ASAP.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
All I know is Derrick Rose makes a f***ton of money in salary and endorsements because he plays basketball. We're almost a full year into his new monster deal, and the doctors cleared him to play forever ago.

The Bulls f***ed this situation up by letting him determine when he plays. I'm sure they just never expected Reggie to project his fears onto Rose and for Rose, competitor that he always seemed, to not want to be on the court ASAP.

Unfortunately, the Bulls HAD to let him decide. Who would want to play here if the word around the league is that we made the franchise's second best player ever (get off me, Scottie lovers :P) come back too soon from injury?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)

The sportswriters are defending him and they keep saying stuff like "if you think it's not killing him to not be out there you don't know D-Rose." Well... what I've actually learned from this is they are right, I don't "know" him at all. I have no idea how he thinks. I do know that he's very competitive and dedicated to the game, but there's other things about his personality that I'm learning that I didn't know before. We all used to have this image of him as an infallible figure, but that's probably gone forever. But anyway, fact is if it was really killing him, he'd be out there.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
I'm sure one of these days there will be a fun book written about this.

People like to hate on the Bulls, but Derrick is crazy if he is going to intentionally avoid playing for a team with this much talent. I'm sure he'd love for the Bulls to have Kevin Love or James Harden or whomever else he is wishing for, but the team he has has a pretty damn good supporting cast.

No, they have a damn good coach.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Unfortunately, the Bulls HAD to let him decide. Who would want to play here if the word around the league is that we made the franchise's second best player ever (get off me, Scottie lovers :P) come back too soon from injury?

I think the organization is just as confused by him as we are.

The Bulls can find a replacement for Boozer. He works hard and he's hilarious to listen to on the court, but he's terribly overpaid. Taj is probably good enough to hold the fort down. Noah and Deng aren't irreplaceable, but they are above average starters and very good at their role.

I also don't know that you want to start Teague. He'd be good as a starter, but there is a ton of value in his versatility coming off the bench as a 6th man with his all-around game. Beyond that, it'd be nice if they could get a spot up shooter at SG, which is sort of what Rip was supposed to provide but he's just old and creaking anymore.

This is a lost season.