2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
So are you suggesting that the Spurs would have been better off with no review? Pops was calling for the damn thing, and it NEEDED to be reviewed. Also, Van Gundy pointed out that it also gave the Spurs time to draw up a play.

People need to stop spinning everything just to hate on the Heat and the refs.

Yes. I am not suggesting that, I am flat out saying that the Spurs would have been better off without the review. Not a lot of plays you can draw up to get a good look going the length of the floor with 5.2 seconds left against a set defense. The best way to get a good look in that scenario is to let your guys go and try to get an open look in semi transition before the defense gets set. I would have been saying the same thing if a Ginobli three had tied the game and been reviewed.

I understand that, under the current system, that play had to be reviewed, but the review helped the Heat much more than it helped the Spurs (and, as has been noted, Pop was furious about the review).

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Manu is "losing it" in front of us in real-time on the biggest stage. He's a turnover machine providing very few sparks on offense (save game 5). If I'm Poppovich, I bench him with very little thought for Game 7.

I think the problem is that Manu, despite the turnovers, is still their 2nd best ball handler and the only other real option to run the offense when Parker is on the bench.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
That was my impression. They wanted to inbound quickly while there was still chaos.

That's probably also why he didn't call a timeout with 8 seconds left.

I still don't see how under the rule that shot needs to be reviewed. The official was literally 5 feet away looking straight down the line at Allen. He had a better view than the camera did. I think what happened was that either a Spur called a timeout and they didn't want the game to be decided on a Chris Webber f*** up, OR, the officials themselves screwed up and anticipated that the Spurs would want to call a timeout and then quickly realized they had none, so they decided to review it.

If the rule really is to review every shot, why didn't they review Lebrons three pointer?

Its too bad this series is over. No way the Spurs win Game 7 in Cry-ami. They missed their shot when they couldn't close it out down the stretch.

Also wading back into the Jordan vs LeBron argument, that game was a microcosm of every reason why LeBron isn't on MJ's level. Where was the first half of the 4th quarter LeBron James for the other 40 minutes of the game? Jordan sure as hell wansn't deferring to anyone in an elimination game for 40 minutes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
That's probably also why he didn't call a timeout with 8 seconds left.

I still don't see how under the rule that shot needs to be reviewed. The official was literally 5 feet away looking straight down the line at Allen. He had a better view than the camera did. I think what happened was that either a Spur called a timeout and they didn't want the game to be decided on a Chris Webber f*** up, OR, the officials themselves screwed up and anticipated that the Spurs would want to call a timeout and then quickly realized they had none, so they decided to review it.

If the rule really is to review every shot, why didn't they review Lebrons three pointer?

Yeah, it seemed like LeBron was under the impression that the Spurs had called timeout....but I don't know that he heard that or just assumed that when play was stopped.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
Its too bad this series is over. No way the Spurs win Game 7 in Cry-ami. They missed their shot when they couldn't close it out down the stretch.

Also wading back into the Jordan vs LeBron argument, that game was a microcosm of every reason why LeBron isn't on MJ's level. Where was the first half of the 4th quarter LeBron James for the other 40 minutes of the game? Jordan sure as hell wansn't deferring to anyone in an elimination game for 40 minutes.

You knock Miami at every turn and then always claim they're going to run over their competition too. I do expect Miami to win game 7 but counting the Spurs out of the game is just wrong.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
You knock Miami at every turn and then always claim they're going to run over their competition too. I do expect Miami to win game 7 but counting the Spurs out of the game is just wrong.

Ha. That's 2K5 protecting himself. If the Heat dominate, they're supposed to. If the Heat win but not in blowout fashion, they're overrated. If the Heat lose they're gutless and lol. He's covered no matter the outcome.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)

To me there is no argument that they are way more talented than their competition. When they actually show up and play, no one in this NBA can stay with them, as evidenced by the 4th quarter last night. They will show up to play in Game 7.

When has Miami ever won two games in a row? They beat the battered Bulls 4 straight after dropping the first and they swept the Bucks. ECF, they traded victories. Why do people think all of sudden they'll win another game? Has SA even lost two games in a row this playoffs?

Edited by pettie4sox

I'm done counting on Miami and counting out San Antonio. I don't know what will happen in Game 7.

With that said, the end of that game was not good to watch. It was a bunch of hacking, turning over, chucking, and choking. One team won because someone has to win.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
When has Miami ever won two games in a row? They beat the battered Bulls 4 straight after dropping the first and they swept the Bucks. ECF, they traded victories. Why do people think all of sudden they'll win another game? Has SA even lost two games in a row this playoffs?

If there's any team that can beat Miami in a 7th game, it's the Spurs but the way they let the NBA title get away from them, I just don't think they'll recover.

I said Heat in 7 and I'm sticking with that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
To me there is no argument that they are way more talented than their competition. When they actually show up and play, no one in this NBA can stay with them, as evidenced by the 4th quarter last night. They will show up to play in Game 7.

You can't really say WAY more talented given their current opponent and the constant questions about Wade's knee. If Wade's not playing like a top-10 player, they're vulnerable against a team as good as the Spurs. That's supposed to be their big edge, but Wade has really only had one dominant game in the last two series. If he's going to score 15 a game on mediocre percentages, that puts a ton of pressure on Lebron.

San Antonio has the second and third best players in this series and Leonard and Green are both better/more dependable than anyone outside of Miami's Big 3. Splitter has played like s*** in this series, but he's also generally a much better option than any non-Bosh bigs for Miami. It's not like they're playing the banged up Bulls where they had the three best players on the floor and better depth.

It won't be a colossal upset if the Spurs win. The Heat have the best player and are playing at home so they do have the edge, but San Antonio can easily steal the title with their offensive execution. That's especially true if Lebron is less than stellar since Wade and Bosh haven't looked like All-Stars of late.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
You can't really say WAY more talented given their current opponent and the constant questions about Wade's knee. If Wade's not playing like a top-10 player, they're vulnerable against a team as good as the Spurs. That's supposed to be their big edge, but Wade has really only had one dominant game in the last two series. If he's going to score 15 a game on mediocre percentages, that puts a ton of pressure on Lebron.

I think they're a more dangerous team when Wade's not on the floor. He can't shoot for s***. When they can space the floor like mad with 3 point monsters, then LeBron just debases anyone down low.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
I think they're a more dangerous team when Wade's not on the floor. He can't shoot for s***. When they can space the floor like mad with 3 point monsters, then LeBron just debases anyone down low.

I pretty much said the exact same thing yesterday (probably more than once). At least in his current state, they're much better served putting Lebron out there with Allen, Miller and Chalmers. With 100% Wade, it doesn't really matter because they have two wings that are impossible to stop on the drive.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
I pretty much said the exact same thing yesterday (probably more than once). At least in his current state, they're much better served putting Lebron out there with Allen, Miller and Chalmers. With 100% Wade, it doesn't really matter because they have two wings that are impossible to stop on the drive.

Sorry, I missed those posts. You clearly are smart as you agree with me.

So we are looking at a decent chance that New England doesnt have Hernandez AND Gronkowski next season for a period of time. You have to wonder how that offense will look, including Welker every one of Bradys security blankets have been removed.

For all of you who are saying the Heat is getting all the calls and NBA is rigged...did you know that Duncan was not supposed to be back in the last play of regulation? And if the referees had seen it they were supposed to give the Heat a tech free throw? Most likely the game would be over right there with Heat winning it.

http://oldfashioned3.sportsblog.com/post/8...tion_could.html

In addition, Heat has been called for 27 more fouls than Spurs. Also, Spurs have had 34 more FTAs than the Heat where Spurs have averaged 23 FT per game while Heat 17.

Some food for thought.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
So we are looking at a decent chance that New England doesnt have Hernandez AND Gronkowski next season for a period of time. You have to wonder how that offense will look, including Welker every one of Bradys security blankets have been removed.

I didn't know New England had a basketball team. =)

I doubt they even make the NBA playoffs next year

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)

That'll definitely ruin it for the Celtics.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
LMAO. That's the burn of the 21st century. Nobody will ever top this.

I'm thinkin' this guy snaked this from somebody. Kevin Hart or Mike Epps couldn't come up with something this epic.

Chael Sonnen is a seasoned trash-talker. He's gotten numerous UFC title shots just because he can talk so much s*** and build interest in a fight.

QUOTE (rafacosta @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
For all of you who are saying the Heat is getting all the calls and NBA is rigged...did you know that Duncan was not supposed to be back in the last play of regulation? And if the referees had seen it they were supposed to give the Heat a tech free throw? Most likely the game would be over right there with Heat winning it.

http://oldfashioned3.sportsblog.com/post/8...tion_could.html

In addition, Heat has been called for 27 more fouls than Spurs. Also, Spurs have had 34 more FTAs than the Heat where Spurs have averaged 23 FT per game while Heat 17.

Some food for thought.

The Spurs don't foul very often and that's been the case for many seasons.

:huh:

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
Can we get back to the real debate here? Should Lebron where a headband or not?! Someone start a poll.

Don't you worry, they asked him in a media session just 30 minutes ago - and the headband will be worn!