2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Never mind the record $625 million offer, a $490 million arena deal and a fantastic ownership group in Seattle.

But there's much more public money involved in the proposed deal for Sacramento than there is for Seattle.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
But there's much more public money involved in the proposed deal for Sacramento than there is for Seattle.

HEY SQWERT HAS BEEN A SEATTLE RESIDENT AND INTERESTED IN THEIR SPORTS TEAMS FOR A WHOLE YEAR. HE'S EARNED THIS OUTRAGE!

:P

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
HEY SQWERT HAS BEEN A SEATTLE RESIDENT AND INTERESTED IN THEIR SPORTS TEAMS FOR A WHOLE YEAR. HE'S EARNED THIS OUTRAGE!

:P

He is looking forward to the vegetarian menu at the Sonics games. Dont crush his spirits

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
He is looking forward to the vegetarian menu at the Sonics games. Dont crush his spirits

He's a vegan, not a vegetarian. Wrong guy to make fun of vegetarianism to - I would love to see more vegan/vegetarian options at professional sports stadiums, so I would support that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
He's a vegan, not a vegetarian. Wrong guy to make fun of vegetarianism to - I would love to see more vegan/vegetarian options at professional sports stadiums, so I would support that.

STOP WHINING ABOUT OBVIOUS JOKES I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH YOUR ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLE

Friedell with his annual "yeah but the Bulls still aren't good enough" column.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post...-cant-beat-heat

The reality for the Bulls is that while a healthy group of players would give them a much better shot to win, they still don't have the star power to knock off the Heat four times in a seven-game series. Specifically, the Bulls don't have the multiple superstar options who can consistently create their own shot.

I think that's partly true, but in games 3 and 5 of this series (in which Miami was playing 3rd string starters), the Bulls got a decent lead and then Thibs decided to play defense instead of maintaining the offense. It was the same f'n script - get up by 6-8, throw in Taj and take out Marco and Boozer, and watch the lead get pissed away because the Bulls have no offensive threat on the floor other than Nate.

The Bulls don't have Lebron, that's the real difference. They don't get the luxury of being able to commit offensive fouls on every drive and then get the reach/block/hack foul on the defense to get to the line. That's the real difference. I'm not sure what GarPax can do about that, even if they were able to sign another superstar. The Thunder suffered from the same problem last year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
Friedell with his annual "yeah but the Bulls still aren't good enough" column.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post...-cant-beat-heat

I think that's partly true, but in games 3 and 5 of this series (in which Miami was playing 3rd string starters), the Bulls got a decent lead and then Thibs decided to play defense instead of maintaining the offense. It was the same f'n script - get up by 6-8, throw in Taj and take out Marco and Boozer, and watch the lead get pissed away because the Bulls have no offensive threat on the floor other than Nate.

The Bulls don't have Lebron, that's the real difference. They don't get the luxury of being able to commit offensive fouls on every drive and then get the reach/block/hack foul on the defense to get to the line. That's the real difference. I'm not sure what GarPax can do about that, even if they were able to sign another superstar. The Thunder suffered from the same problem last year.

He was on Cowherd this morning advocating they go after Kevin Love.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 16, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
He was on Cowherd this morning advocating they go after Kevin Love.

Only if they take Boozer in the deal. Get that guy out of here. He's had some great games, and has great skill, but he's one of the dumbest/most annoying players I've ever watched.

Edit: speaking of Boozer, can someone explain to me why it makes more sense to amnesty Boozer next summer instead of this summer? If you're going to wait until his last year, wouldn't he become a pretty valuable trade asset (expiring contract)? Why would you amnesty him other than to save paying another year of his salary?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 16, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Only if they take Boozer in the deal. Get that guy out of here. He's had some great games, and has great skill, but he's one of the dumbest/most annoying players I've ever watched.

Edit: speaking of Boozer, can someone explain to me why it makes more sense to amnesty Boozer next summer instead of this summer? If you're going to wait until his last year, wouldn't he become a pretty valuable trade asset (expiring contract)? Why would you amnesty him other than to save paying another year of his salary?

In 2014/2015, the Bulls have under contract:

Rose: $19 million

Noah: $13 million

Gibson: $8 million

Butler + Teague: $3 million

Boozer: $17 million.

Deng and Hinrich have both expired by then.

If we assume the salary cap is ~$60 million by next year, that could leave the bulls with $42 million of cap space taken for 2014/2015, plus maybe $1.5 million more for this year's draftee. If Boozer is amnesthetized at that point, the Bulls couldbe $10-$20 million under the cap and able to offer a large deal to a free agent player. Maybe not a max deal, but could be close.

They'd also be able to use some of that space for their European monster we've been waiting on.

I don't know. If I told you the Bulls could add a 25 year old MVP candidate to a roster that made the 2nd round of the playoffs - how would you rate their chances?

D-Wade won't be a factor next year - hell, he's not one now. The East is a joke. Thibs seems finally at the point where he's no longer going to fall in line and allow the Bulls to pawn off guys like Rip as the answer. I'm guessing a big move will be made this summer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)

If we assume the salary cap is ~$60 million by next year, that could leave the bulls with $42 million of cap space taken for 2014/2015, plus maybe $1.5 million more for this year's draftee. If Boozer is amnesthetized at that point, the Bulls couldbe $10-$20 million under the cap and able to offer a large deal to a free agent player. Maybe not a max deal, but could be close.

They'd also be able to use some of that space for their European monster we've been waiting on.

Oh, and Lebron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwyane Wade are all free agents that offseason if they want to be! (player options).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)

I hope they trade Deng this summer. Maybe use him as part of a package to get someone like Love. Deng's going to want a lot more money (and years) than he's worth in 2014.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 16, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
I hope they trade Deng this summer. Maybe use him as part of a package to get someone like Love. Deng's going to want a lot more money (and years) than he's worth in 2014.

The guy has been a great Bull but its time to let him go. Jimmy Butler is a younger, maybe better version of Deng.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 16, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
The guy has been a great Bull but its time to let him go. Jimmy Butler is a younger, maybe better version of Deng.

If they can find a good two or three along the line, I could get with this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
I don't know. If I told you the Bulls could add a 25 year old MVP candidate to a roster that made the 2nd round of the playoffs - how would you rate their chances?

D-Wade won't be a factor next year - hell, he's not one now. The East is a joke. Thibs seems finally at the point where he's no longer going to fall in line and allow the Bulls to pawn off guys like Rip as the answer. I'm guessing a big move will be made this summer.

Because I know you and your track record so well, I'm going to assume the Bulls will add Sasha Vujacic and call it an offseason.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 16, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
Because I know you and your track record so well, I'm going to assume the Bulls will add Sasha Vujacic and call it an offseason.

You also seem to know the Bulls.

*sigh*