2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 22, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
Not sure how much it really matters, but it's still nice to see Charlotte fall to 4th.

Yup. Anything that keeps them from getting a person who can put them into playoff contention the next year or two is good for the Bullsl

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2013 -> 07:43 AM)
Yup. Anything that keeps them from getting a person who can put them into playoff contention the next year or two is good for the Bullsl

Oladipo can't do that?!?!?! Lol, jk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2013 -> 07:43 AM)

we're in position to draft Seventh Woods!

(google him)

Nikola Mirotic wins ACB League MVP

The Bulls' draftee was named ACB League MVP after leading Real Madrid to the best record in the league. And if you want some crazy Bulls parallels, Mirotic, 22, became the youngest MVP in league history. Sound familiar?

Prior to this, the youngest MVP in ACB history had been Marc Gasol, so that's pretty good company. Mirotic averaged 12.6 points and 5.5 rebounds on the year as Real Madrid racked up a 30-4 record, winning the league by four games. He shot 50.5 percent overall and 43.5 percent from three while shooting 80.7 percent from the line. This all contributed to a final "ranking" of 16.2 (no clue how this is calculated), which was fourth best in the league.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
This draft is horrible. It's not like they'd be passing on sure-fire studs to take him. If he had gone back to school for some reason, he'd have been more likely to go outside the top-5 in 2014 than in it.

That said, guys that can average 12-10 with solid defense are extremely valuable commodities. A lot of teams would like to get their hands on guys like Joakim Noah or Tyson Chandler.

Yeah, I figured someone would bring up Noah...but guys like Noah that are incredibly active and unselfish AND realize they are limited offensively and thus don't really care about getting shots are extremely few and far between. I don't think it's fair to compare a guy to Noah just because he doesn't have much of an offensive game.

I think you have to look at trading the pick if you are the Cavs or just trading down or taking McLemore, Oladipo, or Burke and just figuring it out down the road. I always think it's funny how everyone is so critical and certain of where guys should or should not be taken leading up to the draft and where they fit into each team, even though every year there are plenty of guys that turn into stars that are taken all over the first round...

#1, no reason to ever trade the #1 pick in the NBA, unless you are trading it for a very good proven player. That's not going to happen with this draft.

#2, Noel scored 10.5 per game this past year, which was 3rd on the Wildcats, though I have no idea how much was gained (or lost) because he was out. Also only averaged 7 shots a game. He really didn't do a lot offensively and I don't think he would expect to do a lot offensively in the NBA either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
#1, no reason to ever trade the #1 pick in the NBA, unless you are trading it for a very good proven player. That's not going to happen with this draft.

#2, Noel scored 10.5 per game this past year, which was 3rd on the Wildcats, though I have no idea how much was gained (or lost) because he was out. Also only averaged 7 shots a game. He really didn't do a lot offensively and I don't think he would expect to do a lot offensively in the NBA either.

I'm not going to lie, I don't know much about the Cavs roster...a quick check shows that they have like 17 guards already. But not many of these guys are going to be around if/when they actually field a good team, so I'd draft another guy that can add to the mix offensively before I'd start worrying about defense. You can always add a defensive stopper down the road.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
Yeah, I figured someone would bring up Noah...but guys like Noah that are incredibly active and unselfish AND realize they are limited offensively and thus don't really care about getting shots are extremely few and far between. I don't think it's fair to compare a guy to Noah just because he doesn't have much of an offensive game.

I think you have to look at trading the pick if you are the Cavs or just trading down or taking McLemore, Oladipo, or Burke and just figuring it out down the road. I always think it's funny how everyone is so critical and certain of where guys should or should not be taken leading up to the draft and where they fit into each team, even though every year there are plenty of guys that turn into stars that are taken all over the first round...

It really has little to do with his offensive game. He's drawing comparisons to guys like Camby, Chandler and Noah because he has great length, explosive athleticism and good mobility. He has elite defensive potential, that's not exactly easy to find. He's not Dwight Howard, but significantly less talented big men have gone early in other drafts.

It's fairly obvious that you don't know anything about the Cavs' roster if you mentioned Trey Burke as a possibility. That Kyrie Irving guy is kinda good. Yikes. They might take a wing like McLemore or Porter, but since they just took Waiters I'm not sure how anxious they'll be to get a 2-guard.

There really is a huge difference in value of picks. Obviously there are exceptions, but it's not like the NFL where 2nd-7th rounders deliver value all the time. This chart illustrates how precipitously the expected value of your pick drops once you get outside the top-5 (unfortunately it's ESPN Insider).

Also, instead of doing another post, if it were that easy to just "find a defensive stopper down the road", teams wouldn't be drastically overpaying guys like DeAndre Jordan, Javale McGee, Andris Biedrins, Brendan Haywood, Erik Dampier, ect trying to find one. There aren't many true stoppers in the league, and the ones that are there get huge contracts (usually before they even hit the open market).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 22, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
It really has little to do with his offensive game. He's drawing comparisons to guys like Camby, Chandler and Noah because he has great length, explosive athleticism and good mobility. He has elite defensive potential, that's not exactly easy to find. He's not Dwight Howard, but significantly less talented big men have gone early in other drafts.

It's fairly obvious that you don't know anything about the Cavs' roster if you mentioned Trey Burke as a possibility. That Kyrie Irving guy is kinda good. Yikes. They might take a wing like McLemore or Porter, but since they just took Waiters I'm not sure how anxious they'll be to get a 2-guard.

There really is a huge difference in value of picks. Obviously there are exceptions, but it's not like the NFL where 2nd-7th rounders deliver value all the time. This chart illustrates how precipitously the expected value of your pick drops once you get outside the top-5 (unfortunately it's ESPN Insider).

He also has a blown acl and cannot score.

But hey, thanks for being a tremendous prick about it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)

Tearing an ACL is only the end of the world if your name is Derrick Rose. :angry: Obviously he will need a thorough medical workup and they should go another direction if they find any long-term issues.

A lot of teams don't have a big man that can consistently score in the teens, and many of those guys that do are less than stellar defenders. Guys that can step in immediately and score 15 or more a game from the frontcourt don't show up in every draft. Anthony Davis was a significantly better prospect last year and there were still question marks about how he'd score (he ended up averaging 13 a game this year, which was probably a little more than expected).

Again, this class blows. It's not like you're drafting Kevin Durant if you pass on the big with an injury issue this time around. Every player in this draft has some issues that suggest they're not "worthy" of the #1 pick.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

He has a similar built and athleticism as Chandler when he came out of high school. He can get garbage points just off dunks and put backs with his size, and even only 90% of his athleticism going forward. He can easily provide 10-12-3 blocks a game two years down the road. A 7 mobile footer who can defend and patrol the paint is hard to come by in this league. He might not be as talented as past number one picks, but he's the kind of player you need if you want to build a championship defense.

I don't really see Burke and McLemore making sense here when they already have the backcourt of the future in place. Potter and Oladio is nice, but they certainly aren't worth the 1st pick.

The most important thing here is Varejao is only guaranteed through next year, and the Cavs have a team option to decline his $10 mill contract. The only guaranteed players on the roster are Noel if they take him, Thompson, Waiters, and Kyrie, all still on their rookie contracts. Drafting Noel really would allow them to do serious damage in the Summer of 2014, bringing back a certain SF that they crowned as the King.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

Zoom's been posting here for almost a decade and never posts like a prick. Just because he puts you in your place that doesn't mean you should start throwing darts.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Zoom's been posting year for almost a decade and never posts like a prick. Just because he puts you in your place that doesn't mean you should start throwing darts.

I put myself in my place by admitting I didn't know much about their roster. No need to push my foot down onto the proverbial spike.

I just don't think the Cavs should be drafting a "defensive stopper" with the first overall pick in the draft. Yes, I understand he is going to be the next Noah now because that's what we say about guys that are athletic but still suck on offense, but if that was all they needed, they most likely wouldn't be drafting first here in the first place.

I guess my point is, you don't miss out on drafting Dwayne Wade to pick Darko Milicic because you have Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billips on your roster...but hey, that's just my philosophy.

Thanks for voicing your opinion though, I appreciate it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
I guess my point is, you don't miss out on drafting Dwayne Wade to pick Darko Milicic because you have Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billips on your roster...but hey, that's just my philosophy.

*Dwyane

That's just a silly comparison. Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh are not in this draft. If they were, Noel would be nowhere near the top projected player.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
*Dwyane

That's just a silly comparison. Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh are not in this draft. If they were, Noel would be nowhere near the top projected player.

Is it? Wade actually almost fell to the Bulls at 7, but Pat Riley decided on his treadmill the day of the draft that he liked Wade enough to take him. While a lot of people saw Wade becoming a spectacular player, plenty more did not.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
Is it? Wade actually almost fell to the Bulls at 7, but Pat Riley decided on his treadmill the day of the draft that he liked Wade enough to take him. While a lot of people saw Wade becoming a spectacular player, plenty more did not.

That was one Helluva draft on paper going in, and it's lived up to the Hype.

Where would Hinrich go in a draft like this? Am I right in thinking he'd be on the same level with Burke?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
That was one Helluva draft on paper going in, and it's lived up to the Hype.

Where would Hinrich go in a draft like this? Am I right in thinking he'd be on the same level with Burke?

I don't think so...Hinrich was thought to be pretty much what he turned out to be...a great defender, a solid point guard, but an inconsistent shooter. The Bulls wanted Wade and thought they were going to get him until about the day of the draft, and then when Miami took him, I think they were choosing between Pietrus and Hinrich, and Hinrich was the much safer pick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)

The Bulls sure wanted him, so even if Riley didn't, he was only going to fall one more pick.

Just so it's said, Noel could also Hasheem Thabeet his way out of the league too, even as a #1 pick. There's inherent risk with any of these guys.

You ask if you pass on Dwyane Wade if you had XYZ, but what if McLemore isn't Dwyane Wade but rather Rip Hamilton? Then you'd surely pass and wouldn't think twice.