2012-2013 NBA thread

Right but other outlets are questioning whether the Bulls would trade Deng at all.

I have no inside sources, so I gave BOTH sides.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/25/rep...ed-to-warriors/

It’s unclear whether this means the Bulls are not shopping Deng at all or if it just means he won’t be headed to Golden State.

I just dont really see the Bulls really wanting to make a lot of moves. They seem pretty content with their team and if they happen to get lucky and win a Championship, well thats just great.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
I just dont really see the Bulls really wanting to make a lot of moves. They seem pretty content with their team and if they happen to get lucky and win a Championship, well thats just great.

I can't imagine they're content with their team. Keeping this team together means paying the tax.

Right, they are content to not spend more money to improve this team. Whether or not they have a lower payroll than last year is not really relevant, the point is about the Bulls not aggressively trying to improve.

Which you seem to be now agreeing with.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Right, they are content to not spend more money to improve this team. Whether or not they have a lower payroll than last year is not really relevant, the point is about the Bulls not aggressively trying to improve.

Which you seem to be now agreeing with.

It is almost theoretically impossible for them to improve next season. Thus, it makes little sense to try to aggressively improve for next season, or to pay the tax for next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
It is almost theoretically impossible for them to improve next season. Thus, it makes little sense to try to aggressively improve for next season, or to pay the tax for next season.

Right, they are going to be worse. What they CAN do is move some damn contracts to try and stock up for 2013-2014

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
Right, they are going to be worse. What they CAN do is move some damn contracts to try and stock up for 2013-2014

And it's really, really tough to put this team in a place where it is likely to be competitive in 2013/2014 unless someone Helps the Bulls out by taking on salary. They can't get max-contract under the cap unless they shed everyone other than Noah and Rose (including Gibson and Asik and everyone else on the bench), they're not going to get better by using their Amnesty unless they can get max contract under the cap, and Deng only has so much value to teams who aren't looking to compete next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)

This is what I am all about. I'd move Noah, and sit on Deng. Deng will be back in full for 13-14, as will Rose.

Its absolutely possible for them to improve next season.

The Bulls have glaring weaknesses and if they were willing to be aggressive they could find ways to fix those problems.

Its not like the Bulls are going to be better off 2 years from now, because they already have over 50 mil committed to Boozer, Noah, Deng, Rose and will have to give extensions to Asik/Gibson. So even if the plan was to amnesty Boozer, at that point you probably have Asik/Gibson costing about 10 mil together, so its not a huge savings. If you really wanted to make a move you would likely have to trade Deng at that point anyway.

If the Bulls arent realistically going to be good next year, they might as well trade Deng for whatever they can get, amnesty Boozer and start working for 2013/14 with Rose/Noah as the 2 pieces to build around.

You may not even want to match Asik's salary in this scenario.

If the Bulls arent going to do that, they may as well try and get better.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Its absolutely possible for them to improve next season.

Well, ok, excluding having the second coming happen and Jesus waving his arms over Derrick's knee, I'd love to hear how this is possible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Well, ok, excluding having the second coming happen and Jesus waving his arms over Derrick's knee, I'd love to hear how this is possible.

Well, you somehow trade for the Next MVP that is better than Rose and there you have it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
This is what I am all about. I'd move Noah, and sit on Deng. Deng will be back in full for 13-14, as will Rose.

Why would the Bulls want to sit on Deng?

Its not even 100% that he will have surgery. For all we know hell have major issues in 2 years due to playing through a pretty significant injury.

Deng has now suffered this injury twice in his career, there could be a concern about his long term durability.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)

Bulls lost in the first round of the playoffs.

If Rose gets back before the playoffs start, I think most people would have them in the 2nd round unless they are the 7 or 8 seed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Well, you somehow trade for the Next MVP that is better than Rose and there you have it.

Well in order to equal this years team all they have to do is make the playoffs, thats not really setting the bar high when 50% of the teams in the East make it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Well in order to equal this years team all they have to do is make the playoffs, thats not really setting the bar high when 50% of the teams in the East make it.

You said they could be better than what they were which is the #1 seed. They wont be better no matter how they tinker or leave their starters in all game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
I hate that the Bulls' improvement idea is Brandon Roy.

Its certainly worth a shot in a write off year, if he comes back effective then its an upgrade...kinda like the sox getting Youk. A lot of people want the MLE used on a PG but they can just hold onto CJ and Lucus or use 29 on a PG.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)

You mean Tyreke Evans right?? semi kidding.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Its certainly worth a shot in a write off year, if he comes back effective then its an upgrade...kinda like the sox getting Youk. A lot of people want the MLE used on a PG but they can just hold onto CJ and Lucus or use 29 on a PG.

You mean Tyreke Evans right?? semi kidding.

Should be fully kidding. Tyreke isnt the next MVP or better than Rose

I dont think the Bulls are really a player for Howard. I think other teams are willing to bid even without a guaranty of Howard signing an extension. The Bulls really have no assets that make sense for that type of gamble, so unless Howard comes out and says he wants to be in Chicago, I doubt they offer more than draft picks and salary filler.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
I miss BG

I don't, really. He got so frustrating to watch giving up point after point on defense and then heaving up shots to try to make up for it. He sometimes did, but against good teams he would be fully exploited playing defense and couldn't get a good look on offense.

There are "increasing signs" that Deron Williams will re-sign with the Nets, sources tell ESPN's Chris Broussard.

Broussard reports that D-Will has been working out "almost daily" at the Nets' facility, while he and coach Avery Johnson have "discussed strategies" for next season. CBS Sports also reported that the Mavericks are fearing Williams is leaning toward re-signing with the Nets. The most interesting part of Broussard's report is that D-Will won't be making any visits to interested teams once free agency begins.