The Adam Dunn Batting Average Poll

Steve9347

Adam Dunn Batting Average Poll  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Dunn's Average Wind Up?

• .240 or better
    • .230 - .239
    • .220 - .229
    • .210 - .219
    • .200 - .209
    • .199 or below

Well, the average is all the way down to .212. We've seen this show before, and Dunn is hitting .169 in 77 June at bats with 37 strikeouts. Is it time to sound the alarm? Perhaps!

So I leave it to the sexy folk at Soxtalk to weigh in on where Dunn's batting average will rest at the end of the season.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really scares me about him right now is that recently I've seen him hit fly balls that haven't left the park. Reminds me of last year when he would be on a pitch, swing hard, and not have enough to clear the fences. It would be very reassuring to see him blast a few soon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
He seemed to be most dangerous this year when he would take an occasional swing the other way on a pitch on the outside corner. The guy is so strong he has power to all fields, so it isn't like it would hurt his power numbers in any real way.

That's what I think. If he put 50-75 more balls in play, I think he'd hit more homers, not less. As much as I love watching a bomb, the balls that clear the wall by an inch count the same on the scoreboard.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
That's what I think. If he put 50-75 more balls in play, I think he'd hit more homers, not less. As much as I love watching a bomb, the balls that clear the wall by an inch count the same on the scoreboard.

It would also make him incredibly more dangerous, because they couldn't play that ridiculous shift against him all of the time, especially with runners on base.

Dunn remembering how to hit baseballs at people in the bleachers was my favorite part of this season for a while. It worries me a bit, but I think it's more noticeable in his case because he was holding steady in the .225 - .230 range- already kind of low to begin with. It's easier to overlook a 15-20 point dip when a guy is in the .290's - low .300's. I think he'll end up .220 - .229, still lower than his career average, but good enough as long as he keeps launching baseballs.

The other thing is, last year he fell off the face of the earth early on and stayed there. The biggest concern was whether or not he was just damaged goods- either as a result of injury, getting older, outright forgetting how to play baseball, or even something PED related. It was a relief to see him pick up where he left off in Washington because it meant that whatever it was, it was temporary and in the past. So whatever the reason for this recent dip is, it probably isn't going to bring about an encore performance of suck.

If he ends up around .230 with a ton of homers, I'm selling and running away as fast as I can this off-season. I have a hard time seeing a team win a championship with that type of player in the middle of your order (especially when he's one of the highest paid players on a team that constantly complains about money). My hope is he breaks out of this slump, gets hot, cranks some more homers, and again pushes that average close to the .239/.240 range and then slides back down. I think he'll fluctuate between about .210 and .240 the rest of the year.

And that is a complete BS projection that I came up with on a whim.

I haven't liked the way he's looked the last few games. He seems to be in that mode where he watches the first strike, swings at a bad one, and then has to swing at anything close. He looked pretty angry at himself last night, and I suppose that's a good thing. Last year he seemed more indifferent to striking out.

I think he'll get hot again before cooling off...up and down. This cooling down period is getting a little long, though. I still think he'll hit in the .220-.229 range at crack 40+ HRs.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
I haven't liked the way he's looked the last few games. He seems to be in that mode where he watches the first strike, swings at a bad one, and then has to swing at anything close. He looked pretty angry at himself last night, and I suppose that's a good thing. Last year he seemed more indifferent to striking out.

I think he'll get hot again before cooling off...up and down. This cooling down period is getting a little long, though. I still think he'll hit in the .220-.229 range at crack 40+ HRs.

Shhh. We're not allowed to complain about that

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
If he ends up around .230 with a ton of homers, I'm selling and running away as fast as I can this off-season. I have a hard time seeing a team win a championship with that type of player in the middle of your order (especially when he's one of the highest paid players on a team that constantly complains about money). My hope is he breaks out of this slump, gets hot, cranks some more homers, and again pushes that average close to the .239/.240 range and then slides back down. I think he'll fluctuate between about .210 and .240 the rest of the year.

And that is a complete BS projection that I came up with on a whim.

Yes, definitely in the .239-.240 range...;)

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
He never was signed for his batting average.

He also wasn't signed to strikeout 260 times in a season and hit .215. I understand the homers, I love homers, I understand the walks. If he could just strikeout 200 times, it would probably boost his avg. to an acceptable level while boosting his numbers across the board. I really don't think he should be batting 3rd. Especially against LHP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
He also wasn't signed to strikeout 260 times in a season and hit .215. I understand the homers, I love homers, I understand the walks. If he could just strikeout 200 times, it would probably boost his avg. to an acceptable level while boosting his numbers across the board. I really don't think he should be batting 3rd. Especially against LHP.

On pace for 264 K's. The record is 223. Dunn's high is 199.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)

I think if he could maintain a 199 k pace, he'd hit for close to the same average he'd been hitting before he became a White Sox. Adding another 60 or so to a really high total to begin with hints there is a skill deterioration IMO. Its too many times for a #3 hitter to leave a man on third.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)

Great. However, it still does not matter. If his .OBP is still around .385 and he walks 100 times with 40 bombs, I could give a s*** how many strikeouts he has or what his Batting Average is.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
Great. However, it still does not matter. If his .OBP is still around .385 and he walks 100 times with 40 bombs, I could give a s*** how many strikeouts he has or what his Batting Average is.

His OBP is now .358 and falling (15 points below career ave). OPS is down to .879, which is two points above his career average, and 23 points under his NL average. The walks are at 58, but that pace has slowed down a lot as well over the last month to six weeks. Honestly all his numbers have pretty well crashed once Konerko started hurting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
His OBP is now .358 and falling (15 points below career ave). OPS is down to .879, which is two points above his career average, and 23 points under his NL average. The walks are at 58, but that pace has slowed down a lot as well over the last month to six weeks. Honestly all his numbers have pretty well crashed once Konerko started hurting.

Yeah I understand that. I still don't believe he's going to fall into what happened last year. I think he gets it back to at least his averages. PK being messed up is hurting him though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
I think if he could maintain a 199 k pace, he'd hit for close to the same average he'd been hitting before he became a White Sox. Adding another 60 or so to a really high total to begin with hints there is a skill deterioration IMO. Its too many times for a #3 hitter to leave a man on third.

I agree with DA here. Dunn has taken 3 true outcome player to a whole 'nother level. Whiffing at this rate is a detriment. I don't care what your other numbers are.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)

Who cares, If he strikeouts/groundouts/ flyouts.............outs are outs. His HR's, Rbi's, Runs scored and walks more than make up for the K's