Nestor Molina

Andy the Clown

Well, he's on the DL right now, for I believe, elbow tendonitis. Keep in mind also that this is a converted position player, still learning how to go from throwing to pitching.

I'd be patient. Let's see how he does when he comes back, and not just for core results - look for improvement in control, K rate, etc.

^^^^ What NS72 said.

Molina has a major league arm.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the numbers at this point.

Newly converted pitchers typically need to focus on mechanics, repeatability of delivery, command, and control.

As those areas improve, so will the numbers.

Until then the results can be ugly.

I have never seen Nestor pitch. He is just a strike thrower though right? Does not have great stuff, does not walk people, and really does not have a great out pitch. Am I correct? I am pleasantly surprised with Simon Castro. If Molina becomes a decent #4 or #5 starter, trading Sergio Santos for him was a good trade. Hopefully, Moilina can get back soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Well, he's on the DL right now, for I believe, elbow tendonitis. Keep in mind also that this is a converted position player, still learning how to go from throwing to pitching.

I'd be patient. Let's see how he does when he comes back, and not just for core results - look for improvement in control, K rate, etc.

+1. He's only 21-22. Let's cut him a break and see what happens after he comes back from the DL.

If a guy like Marco Paddy told KW to get him, I would trust his assessment.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
I've seen him and I'd have to say the White Sox were sold a bill of goods.

Wouldn't you say it is pretty likely he hasn't been healthy all season long and was trying to pitch through it?

Hence, the diminished K numbers and giving up tons of hits/IP.

It's pretty clear his stuff just hasn't been there....the numbers from 2011 compared to 2012 aren't even remotely similar, except the BB/9 ratio.

His velocity has been in the 89-92 range this season, compared to the numbers we heard when he was acquired, which were more in the 91-94 range.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Wouldn't you say it is pretty likely he hasn't been healthy all season long and was trying to pitch through it?

Hence, the diminished K numbers and giving up tons of hits/IP.

It's pretty clear his stuff just hasn't been there....the numbers from 2011 compared to 2012 aren't even remotely similar, except the BB/9 ratio.

His velocity has been in the 89-92 range this season, compared to the numbers we heard when he was acquired, which were more in the 91-94 range.

I don't recall hearing 91-94 range, I recall hearing "around 90 but great control"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Besides KW, Merkin/Rongey and Paddy, where did the idea that he could be a frontline starter come from?

Just based on his control?

That and, although at lower levels, he has put up some pretty impressive stats (particularly if you like K/BB ratio) despite very little pitching experience.