I know it was anti-climactic but...

mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
Sounds like Crain is hurting. Expect a DL trip.

Edit: Duente Heath is probably catching a plane from Atlanta tomorrow morning.

If Heath gets called up 8 of the Sox pitchers would be rookies. 11 total on the team then (44% of the roster). Insane.

WOW is all I can say. Shame I couldn't catch this one live. But I watched the DVR of it.

Is the Rangers pitching that bad or what? No matter who they brought in we just kept shelling them...

Of course now this means we're going to score 2 runs in the next 2 games combined, doesn't it?

I bet Peavy is mad, he's like 'why doesn't this happen when I pitch?'

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 12:20 AM)
WOW is all I can say. Shame I couldn't catch this one live. But I watched the DVR of it.

Is the Rangers pitching that bad or what? No matter who they brought in we just kept shelling them...

Of course now this means we're going to score 2 runs in the next 2 games combined, doesn't it?

I bet Peavy is mad, he's like 'why doesn't this happen when I pitch?'

Ron Washington wasn't going to bring in anybody good to pitch after Oldswalt left, it would be a huge waste

When he brought in that japanese dude, he waived the white flag

And about 20+ GM's missed on picking Mike Trout, too.

It happens.

Sale had frame/durability/mechanics concerns, whether he could stand up to being a starter long-haul, and signability issues as well.

Lots of factors at play.

By Evan Grant/Blogger

egrant@dallasnews.com

11:31 pm on July 3, 2012 | PermalinkCHICAGO – Scatterblogging while wondering whatever happened to Fred Manrique:

• Where do you start on RHP Roy Oswalt’s outing?It was ugly beyond belief. Three homers to the first five batters. 13 hits for the second consecutive start (becoming the first MLB pitcher to allow 13 or more hits in consecutive starts since Livan Hernandez did it for Minnesota in 2008). Balls hit so hard that they left dents and divots all over the stadium.

Oswalt said he tried to work the corners of the strike zone more than he had in his first two starts, but found out quickly that home plate umpire C.B. Bucknor wasn’t going to give him the edges.

“I had to get on the same page,” Oswalt said. “I didn’t want to walk guys.”

The thought here is if Oswalt gave up on the strike zone, he gave up awfully early. Potentially more plausible theory: He is still adjusting to life against AL lineups. Leave the ball in the middle of the plate and you will get punished badly in the AL; leave it on the inner or outer third and you are still likely to get hit. It requires really quality strikes and it may take Oswalt a couple of more outings to refine his command in order to do it.

• RHP Yoshinori Tateyama was overmatched again, which is becoming a common theme when he pitches. But to ask him to pitch long relief is miscasting the guy. He’s fairly successful, actually quite successful, against right-handed hitters (or he had been until Tuesday). He should never be allowed to face lefties. He faced two of them on Tuesday, walking Adam Dunn intentionally and giving up a three-run, no-doubt homer to A.J. Pierzynski. He’s given up 12 homers in his big league career, 11 of them to lefties in just 95 at-bats. He should not face lefties. And to pitch long relief requires facing lefties.

• At the start of this season, 2B Ian Kinsler looked like a Gold Glove caliber fielder. He played the position aggressively and with a purpose. That has drifted somewhat in the last month. Kinsler made his 12th error – and it was a doozy – on Tuesday. That surpasses his 2011 total for the season. And seven of Kinsler’s errors have come since June 1. I’m thinking going to the All-Star Game isn’t what he needs as much as a four-day mental break. The error didn’t change the outcome of the game (the Rangers were already trailing 9-0), but it was a sloppy play in which he simply bobbled a routine ground ball with two outs in the fifth. The White Sox went on to score seven more runs in the inning.

• DH Michael Young is now in 0-for-13 slump after going hitless in four at-bats Tuesday. His batting average has dropped to a season-low .266. He looked like he was starting to come out of his funk a week ago. He looked funky as ever on Tuesday.

Looking for a bright spot? Best I can offer is this: SS Elvis Andrus doubled home two runs to keep the game from becoming one of the worst shutout losses in baseball in the last 90 years. He also extended his hitting streak to 10 games. That’s about all I’ve got, unless you want to get vindictive. If so, the Angels lost, failing to gain ground, and starter Dan Haren admitted that he’s got a back problem. He will be checked out in California later this week.

• Enjoy your Fourth. If you happen to stumble across 1776 on cable somewhere, watch it. One of my favorite, if not all-time favorite, movies/plays. And the casting: William Daniels (from St. Elsewhere and Boy Meets World among others) as John Adams; Ken “The White Shadow” Howard as Thomas Jefferson. Brilliance. And have a Hebrew National for me.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
Is anyone else in favor of sacrificing a game in the standings so that Sale can pitch in the All-Star game?

He better be the starter if they're going to do that.

Again, they're not just sacrificing a start for the AS game. If he doesn't start Sunday, he goes 8 or 9 days at least with 1-2 innings thrown.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
Is anyone else in favor of sacrificing a game in the standings so that Sale can pitch in the All-Star game?

He better be the starter if they're going to do that.

Does it have a big effect on the number of games Sale would pitch? Unless you pitch him Sunday and the first game after the break, would you gain an extra start somehow?

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Does it have a big effect on the number of games Sale would pitch? Unless you pitch him Sunday and the first game after the break, would you gain an extra start somehow?

Yes, you could do that and get an extra start...but we're already worried about his innigns load...so that seems like the exact opposite of what we are trying to do to protect his arm.

Then why does Ventura keep leaving Sale in an "extra" 1-2-3 innings in some of the games which the outcome is no longer in doubt.

We could have gotten Santiago some more time to work on things, as he's still an important reliever in our bullpen. Or Septimo...building his confidence, although he pitched Friday and Sunday, any positive forward momentum he can develop would be great, as it already feels like Leyson could be more reliable than Santiago.

Yeah, we've gotten away with "Sunday line-ups" a couple of times this season, so it's not a guaranteed loss...just feels like giving away a guaranteed victory with how well Chris has been pitching recently, with the exception of the implosion against the Dodgers abetted by Wil Ohman.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
Yes, you could do that and get an extra start...but we're already worried about his innigns load...so that seems like the exact opposite of what we are trying to do to protect his arm.

I feel like the conserving innings approach to Sale went out the window shortly after his brief move to closer. Anyway, if he'd be the starter I'd be OK with going with a pu-pu platter on Sunday. How many times does a guy get a shot at starting the All Star game?