Hawk

CubsSuck1

earlier this week, I was listening to some talk radio in LA, and it turned out that Bruce Jacobs on. Being a Bruce "fan", I decided to listen for a while. He got an email that went a little like this: "I decided to listen to Hawk Harrelson to see if he is as bas as you say he is. I could only stand to watch for 5 minutes." Then bruce says the Hawkeroo is definitely baseball's worst.

NOW, is hawk really THAT bad? I can see how he could get a little annoying, but I think his personality has grown on me somewhat. The best thing about him though, is his EMOTION. I CANNOT stand announcers who have NO emotion. It ruins the fun of the game. The announcer that recently retired from the tigers I believe (whos name escapes me) said he never showed any emotion. COme on now. Have some fun with your team. Nobody wants to listen to a robot.

I might give bruce a call when he's on saturday night. (the score, at midnight or 1 am, I forget) But I really have no evidence since i hhave heard few other announcers. I called bruce once, he has some problems with my man J HOOD..... :ph34r: ........ I'm incrediblly lame, i recoreded it, but he just throws out insults all the time.

anyone have some opinions on hawk?

p.s. Hawk has a book, right? anyone ever give it a read?

HI I'M CHIP CARAY! I ONLY GOT THIS JOB BECAUSE MY GRANDPA WAS DRUNK AND SUPPOSEDLY FUNNY. UH OH, MY VOICE CRACKED LIKE A PRE-PUBESCENT GIRL, AGAIN! LOOK AT MY EYEBROWS, THEY'RE 2 X 4'S!!!

THERE'S A LASER BEAM OF A HOT SHOT LINE DRIVE WHICH IS CAUGHT BY THE CATCHER! NOW LET'S GO TO THE BUDWEISER FAN CAM TO SEE HOT CHICKS ON THEIR CELL PHONES!

I rest my case.

HI I'M CHIP CARAY! I ONLY GOT THIS JOB BECAUSE MY GRANDPA WAS DRUNK AND SUPPOSEDLY FUNNY. UH OH, MY VOICE CRACKED LIKE A PRE-PUBESCENT GIRL, AGAIN! LOOK AT MY EYEBROWS, THEY'RE 2 X 4'S!!!

THERE'S A LASER BEAM OF A HOT SHOT LINE DRIVE WHICH IS CAUGHT BY THE CATCHER! NOW LET'S GO TO THE BUDWEISER FAN CAM TO SEE HOT CHICKS ON THEIR CELL PHONES!

I rest my case.

:lolhitting

ive always hated that laser beam crap

I rest my case.

:lol:

That's pretty good.

The best Chimp call of all time came this year in Prior's 16 K game when Jenkins hit the homer to put the Brewers up 5-2. That is the funniest thing I've ever heard Chimp say. The tone of his voice is classic, and the fact that he is so unobjectional made it even funnier. :lol:

The best Chimp call of all time came this year in Prior's 16 K game when Jenkins hit the homer to put the Brewers up 5-2.  That is the funniest thing I've ever heard Chimp say.  The tone of his voice is classic, and the fact that he is so unobjectional made it even funnier.  :lol:

It was falling intonation throughout this entire sentence. "High fly ball belted deep right field... and Geoff Jenkins has done it again"

The best Chimp call of all time came this year in Prior's 16 K game when Jenkins hit the homer to put the Brewers up 5-2.  That is the funniest thing I've ever heard Chimp say.  The tone of his voice is classic, and the fact that he is so unobjectional made it even funnier.  :lol:

It was falling intonation throughout this entire sentence. "High fly ball belted deep right field... and Geoff Jenkins has done it again"

That's it.

That's classic. That made my day(when Chimp called that, although you recalling it was nice too). I can't remember if we won or lost....it was all worth it in the end.

I rest my case.

Or this classic moment from the Cubs, which only happen a week ago against the padres; in the last game of their sweep

Chip: 1-2 count..............grounder..........CAUGHT BY RAMIREZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!! AND HE THROWS HIM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Stone: Jim Hendrys long hours on the telephone are starting to pay off...............

--Chimp goes nuts, despite the fact the ball was hit directly to him....and really not hit that hard.

So later on in the game, with the cubs winning..............any play could be picked that tops Ramirez, but of course the penzoil protection play of the game is Ramirez sucking up a normal grounder, and getting the out. Nobody was on base, and the Padres really werent threatening all game. Chimp was looking for any opportunity to make it seem Ramirez is a good defender.

earlier this week, I was listening to some talk radio in LA, and it turned out that Bruce Jacobs on. Being a Bruce "fan", I decided to listen for a while. He got an email that went a little like this: "I decided to listen to Hawk Harrelson to see if he is as bas as you say he is. I could only stand to watch for 5 minutes." Then bruce says the Hawkeroo is definitely baseball's worst.

NOW, is hawk really THAT bad? I can see how he could get a little annoying, but I think his personality has grown on me somewhat. The best thing about him though, is his EMOTION. I CANNOT stand announcers who have NO emotion. It ruins the fun of the game. The announcer that recently retired from the tigers I believe (whos name escapes me) said he never showed any emotion. COme on now. Have some fun with your team. Nobody wants to listen to a robot.

I might give bruce a call when he's on saturday night. (the score, at midnight or 1 am, I forget) But I really have no evidence since i hhave heard few other announcers. I called bruce once, he has some problems with my man J HOOD..... :ph34r: ........ I'm incrediblly lame, i recoreded it, but he just throws out insults all the time.

anyone have some opinions on hawk?

p.s. Hawk has a book, right? anyone ever give it a read?

I guess Bruce Jacobs has never heard the guys in Oakland (Ray Fosse is one of them) and how about Ron Fairley for the Mariners Brutal.. I guess he's never heard Chip Carey or the Really Annoying Chris Berman

I think Hawk is great. He is funny, quick, whimsical, knows the game, and he tells it like it is.

So I'm listening to a Braves game this week, and Chip's father Skip

(how DOES a Skip beget a Chip?) was discussing possible NL playoff scenarios with his broadcasting partner, and Skip, the begettor of Chip, said, "I hope the Cubs get into the playoffs for Chip's sake." I can't remember what I did first, throw up or change the channel.

People that think Hawk is bad are people that don't like the White Sox. I believe that eh is extremely bias, but that's why he does local coverage of the White Sox. Do you ever see him doing a Fox Sunday game, NO!!! So why the hell do other people care how our announcers are. I want a bias play by play and color guy, I live in Chicago root for the Sox.... it'd be like me turning on the Anaheim broadcast and saying they suck.... why the hell do I care how they sound!

:finger whoever said Hawk sucks :fyou

Hawk's a great announcer. He also has to carry DJ most of the time. When he retires, people will realize just how good he is. I think this year he is better than ever. He doesn't sugarcoat like he used to every now and then, and he's really into it. You can tell by his tone if the Sox are winning or losing. Plus the evolution of he's gone to he gawn was a stroke of genius.

Another Chip Moment.......

Last year Sox - Cubs at the gum Bowl AKA Wrigley...

Ahhh Kerry Wood is wild today..... Partner, it's probably cause he doesn't feel right on his home mound cause he hasn't pitched here in a month....

Carlos Lee Grand Slam... You gotta figure partner that mound Kerry doesn't know the mound.. If not he would be fine... LOL!!!! :lolhitting :lolhitting

A pitcher that doesn't know his home mound.. HELLOOOOO CHIMP, DOESN'T A PITCHER PITCH ON DIFFERENT MOUNDS ALMOST EVERY 5 DAYS .. :bang :bang

Chip

:dips***

Another Chip Moment.......

Last year Sox - Cubs at the gum Bowl AKA Wrigley...

Ahhh Kerry Wood is wild today..... Partner, it's probably cause he doesn't feel right on his home mound cause he hasn't pitched here in a month....

Carlos Lee Grand Slam... You gotta figure partner that mound Kerry doesn't know the mound.. If not he would be fine... LOL!!!!  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

A pitcher that doesn't know his home mound.. HELLOOOOO CHIMP, DOESN'T A PITCHER PITCH ON DIFFERENT MOUNDS ALMOST EVERY 5 DAYS .. :bang  :bang

Chip

:dips***

If Wood didn't know the mound, how was the Sox pitcher ever gonna figure that mound out. Chimp is an ass. He has no business in a broadcast booth. He should be doing those US 30 drag strip commercials. I remember him describing a pop up to second as a "rocket shot".

I have the extra innings package this year so I've had the opportunity to listen to quite a few teams announcers. Hawk is awesome and mislabeled as a homer....I mean, he's a homer but still gives the other team credit. I remember watching a twinkies game with their announcers. Circle (jerk) me Bert Blyleven says something to the effect of, "I know I shouldn't say this, but Magglio Ordonez is an outstanding hitter". Not supposed to say that??? Just because he's on the opposing team??? Hawk on the other hand, while watching the a Twins/Sox game with Hawk and DJ, compliments several twins hitters, including his buddy AJ Pierzynski SEVERAL times. He appreciates good players, bottom line.

Other announcers I've enjoyed were Steve Lyons and his counterpart out in AZ, the TB announcers, Baltimore announcers. The worst are Minny, Anaheim (i think one of them is gay, always talking about players looks and physical builds, lol), Seattle, and last but certainly not least, Chimp Carey.