Aj A clubhouse cancer?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
With the year AJ is having, the dearth of decent catchers, and the contracts getting thrown around for catchers in the last year, I would bet the numbers AJ would see on the open market would make most of us sick.

I doubt he gets more than 2 years, or more than $5M per. Probably less. Basically, what he got last time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
I doubt he gets more than 2 years, or more than $5M per. Probably less. Basically, what he got last time.

The years might not be there, but the money will be more like $8 to $10 million. Yadier Molina just got 5 years and $75 million, and he is 30 years old. In this day and age, I could see AJ getting something like 2/$20, maybe more if someone or Dodgers jumped into the catchers market.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
What contract do you offer?

1 year, $7.5-8 million?

2 years, $14-15 million?

Long time to go before the end of the season, but it doesn't seem likely Flowers can hit over .200 at the major league level. He has HUGE pop in his bat, but a big swing and just not enough contact.

It's amazing he's worth more now on the free agent market than the last time he was a free agent. It's to his credit. He has some pop in his bat again.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
I don't know what happened between him and floyd. I was referring to the comments from the giants pitcher before the Sox signed him.

yea i know. i remember about that, also how one year in spring training , the sox faced brett tomko and aj offered $100 to whoever hit a hr off him....i was just wondering about the ny thing with floyd since the thread topic about him being a cancer made me remember this

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
The years might not be there, but the money will be more like $8 to $10 million. Yadier Molina just got 5 years and $75 million, and he is 30 years old. In this day and age, I could see AJ getting something like 2/$20, maybe more if someone or Dodgers jumped into the catchers market.

In catcher years, the difference between 30 and 36 is immense. Not really a valid comparison in my view.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
In catcher years, the difference between 30 and 36 is immense. Not really a valid comparison in my view.

He will be 35 in the last year of the deal. There is also an $15 million option, with a $2 million buyout, for the last year.

4 months ago, no one would have believed some of these posts. I love AJ as a catcher but he will be 36. I wouldn't go too crazy. First see how the year plays out. He's really working at about $4 million a year right now as last year's salary was partially deferred. I would go maybe $5 million to $5.5 average for 2 years if he finishes strong.

He'll probably be back next year. There's really no other option right now. Flowers looks like he's trying to eat himself out of the league and Phegley probably won't be ready. I could see Phegley on the team next backing up AJ and Flowers elsewhere.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
Having AJ around for another couple years would be ideal. He's still got some good play left in him, the pitching staff are used to him, and it gives some of the catchers in the minors (Phegley and Smith particularly) another year or two to develop (and for Flowers to develop in the majors). Ideal would be a 1 year plus 1 year option type deal.

Also agreed, and as for the pitching staff, he is to our staff what Fisk was to the staff when we had Hoyt, Burns, Dotson and Bannister. Fisk was SOOOOOOO monumental to their success, just as AJ is to the staff now. You add coop in the mix with AJ and you have about as best a combo for developing pitchers (to the NEXT level after minor league developement) than anyone else has in the majors. Even if AJ never out-hits Flowers the next 2 years, you cannot take away what he adds to pitching...................especially all these young guys that we seem to be developing and bringing up.

QUOTE (th0mas35 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Anything less than 2/12 is sorta an insult to the year he has had and what he's done for this team.

I think 2 for 12,with a club option for a 3rd with a 2 million dollar buyout type of deal is fair.

Worst case,AJ walks away with 14 million for two years...best case, he makes 18 million for 3 years.

I think AJ does really like Chicago,and the White Sox organization. As he said, he is Hawk's son.

The catcher position was such a hole for the Sox in the lineup and on the field for so many years before AJ came over. Very appreciative for what he's done in a Sox uni. I'd definitely be supportive of re-signing him for another couple of years, until we have a more solid replacement option to take over.

487846_10151275916763298_1630712081_n.jp

Yeah...AJ at the Children's Hospital this week...what a prick!!!! I seriously hope AJ plays out his career in a Sox uniform. What he's meant to this team can't be measured. One of Kenny's all-time best moves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
You guys are delusional for where the free agent market is going.

In what sense?

I don't see any reason to extend him now, but if he keeps it up the rest of the way, my max offer for him would be two years, $15 million. I really don't see a lot of teams going much higher. His age will limit the years and his reputation will limit the dollars. I think he'd be willing to take a $1-2 million less a year to stay in Chicago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
You guys are delusional for where the free agent market is going.

I tend to agree with you on this.

I think he'd get at the very least, like a 1/9-10 offer from someone.