White Sox may go after Starting Pitching

Baron

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sale- Peavy-Quintana is strong. Floyd's inconsistent but better than Dempster or some mediocrity like him.

That leaves fifth starter. Don't use a ton of resources on this. It rarely works out well. If Williams can do it without giving up a single decent prospect for utility and back of bullpen talent like he gave up for Youk, then fine.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
Sale- Peavy-Quintana is strong. Floyd's inconsistent but better than Dempster or some mediocrity like him.

That leaves fifth starter. Don't use a ton of resources on this. It rarely works out well. If Williams can do it without giving up a single decent prospect for utility and back of bullpen talent like he gave up for Youk, then fine.

I say either get an ace-like starter, or don't get any starter. We can manage a competent fifth starter out of Axelrod/Humber/Castro

I am also not eager to dump resources on a Greinke type, so you can see that in most scenarios I advocate staying put.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)
If they really plan to shutdown SALE, and Danks is out for the year, I see no other option.

Are they just going to end Sale's season at a certain point? That will be a strange day, especially if the Sox are a playoff team. It's amazing how starting pitchers have to be coddled in the modern era.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Are they just going to end Sale's season at a certain point? That will be a strange day, especially if the Sox are a playoff team. It's amazing how starting pitchers have to be coddled in the modern era.

Not end his season but probably give him like a 2 start break at some point.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
Not end his season but probably give him like a 2 start break at some point.

That should be OK, then. Giving him a week off or week and a half shouldn't decide the division.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
I believe the majority here believes Sale will be shut down at some point at the end of season.

Not if they are going to the playoffs.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
I say either get an ace-like starter, or don't get any starter. We can manage a competent fifth starter out of Axelrod/Humber/Castro

I am also not eager to dump resources on a Greinke type, so you can see that in most scenarios I advocate staying put.

This....if we can get a top pitcher by essentially taking on a hefty contract, do it. If it costs us heavily by means of talent, I'm not interested.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)

100% agree. You have to look at it as an addition for the playoffs and not just an addition to get to the playoffs. In the playoffs you need 3, preferably 4 solid starters who could potentially shut down the opponent (like we had in 05'). As of now it's hard to even say we'll have one with all the questions about Peavys, Danks, and Sales health and longevity. In my opinion we have to add a starter in order to have a chance in the postseason. I have had a feeling for a while that SP will be Ryan Dempster. I think he is exactly what we need and a perfect fit for him. He has said he has a preference to stay in Chicago or be as close as possible because of the health concerns of his daughter. I just have a feeling this will be KWs guy. With that being said I wish those morons on the Northside would have some restraint with him, he practically lobbied to start tomorrow, if I were them you hold him back and give him another week to rest with the AS break.

Anyone have a list or an idea of some other names that may be out there? We know Hammels (too expensive), Garza (ditto), McCarthy (rather have Quintana and not give anything up), Rockies pitchers.... With the WC it's hard to tell. If Lariano is available I'd love to add him as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
The Marlins would probably let you claim him on waivers for nothing.

You think?

BTW, I don't think there is any way we prematurely end Sale's season. There will be some missed starts, though.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
You think?

2012: $6 million

2013: $11 million

2014: $18 million

2015: $19 million.

Yeah, you don't have to give up a single player if you want him back. The Marlins would happily give him up unless they're in first place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
2012: $6 million

2013: $11 million

2014: $18 million

2015: $19 million.

Yeah, you don't have to give up a single player if you want him back. The Marlins would happily give him up unless they're in first place.

You'd have to think about it...hell, give them Gavin to make it seem better and see if you can squeeze any money out of them

EDIT: It still blows my mind that teams do that stupid backloading. Why won't one team just frontload a contract so the player is likely to get paid a fair rate based on his age.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
You'd have to think about it...hell, give them Gavin to make it seem better and see if you can squeeze any money out of them

EDIT: It still blows my mind that teams do that stupid backloading. Why won't one team just frontload a contract so the player is likely to get paid a fair rate based on his age.

He'd have to get to us first, which would never happen. I dont think Miami thinks there season is over, not after there off season and inaugural season for their ballpark. But I agree about back loading contracts. It doesn't seem logical, but I get it.