White Sox may go after Starting Pitching

Baron

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
You'd have to think about it...hell, give them Gavin to make it seem better and see if you can squeeze any money out of them

EDIT: It still blows my mind that teams do that stupid backloading. Why won't one team just frontload a contract so the player is likely to get paid a fair rate based on his age.

The Marlins do that so that they can make a 1-2 year run and then try to trade the player/let him go on waivers. It's exactly what they did with Delgado.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did it with Magglio.

In 2004, his contract had escalated all the way up to $14.5 million and it created an argument from the standpoint of management that there was just no way his next contract year would be better than $15 per year or could even average 15...therefore, Magglio was going to look at any offer as a cut.

We backloaded AJ's two year deal as well, as another example. Or Dunn's, I think.

But none quite so dramatically as the Buehrle one.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
You'd have to think about it...hell, give them Gavin to make it seem better and see if you can squeeze any money out of them

EDIT: It still blows my mind that teams do that stupid backloading. Why won't one team just frontload a contract so the player is likely to get paid a fair rate based on his age.

The problem is that with Floyd returning to form, you have to once again start considering that $9.5 million team option for 2013.

Especially with Danks' situation so mysterious, Molina falling off the map and Castro's situation a bit up in the air as well. Still, we have a LONG time to figure everything out with all of those guys, including Gavin.

So adding Buehrle and subtracting Floyd doesn't do anything at all for the depth issue...unless you can get two starters back somehow.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 04:22 AM)
Why think small nd go after a back of the end rotation guy. Think big and go after King Felix. Seattle isn't going anywhere anytime soon and they've shown in the past that they will trade their star players.

And who could u possibly acquire him with that wouldn't cripple our major league roster?

We really don't have the pieces or ammunition for that type of acquisition. And what is Seattle's motivation to trade him?

Even Viciedo, Nathan Jones, Mitchell and Thompson/Saladino wouldn't get it done. Not even close.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
2012: $6 million

2013: $11 million

2014: $18 million

2015: $19 million.

Yeah, you don't have to give up a single player if you want him back. The Marlins would happily give him up unless they're in first place.

I'd much, much, much rather go after Cole Hamels if we're going to be on the hook for $48 million from '13-15 anyways.

There's no need to go after a back end starter and we don't have the resources to land a top line starter so stay put.

I know we're all overly paranoid about Sale and Peavy but realistically at this point they're both completely healthy and we're all worried about nothing.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
There's no need to go after a back end starter and we don't have the resources to land a top line starter so stay put.

I know we're all overly paranoid about Sale and Peavy but realistically at this point they're both completely healthy and we're all worried about nothing.

We have the resources to land any pitcher that becomes available.

The question is how much will we be willing to give up.

I feel comfortable with Peavy at this point, and Sale looks as strong as ever. If Danks is going to come back any time soon, we won't have a spot for another SP anyways, given the way Gavin has pitched recently and of course, the Feathered.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
If they really plan to shutdown SALE, and Danks is out for the year, I see no other option.

I don't think they are considering "shutting Sale down." I think there is a difference between limiting his innings and giving him, and others also, a longer rest in between starts and shutting him down

Edited by elrockinMT

A top starter like Grienke or even Mark Buerhle coming back are great thoughts as far as an additon is concerned, but being realisitic what is the costopther than in money? Many times the return on an injured player and in this case it's Danks and Humbe can solidify your staff and they come back pitching well meaning we get a boost. I am just not sold on a trade yet but things can certainly present themselves in the next 3 weeks or so that help you make that decision one way or the other

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
We have the resources to land any pitcher that becomes available.

The question is how much will we be willing to give up.

I feel comfortable with Peavy at this point, and Sale looks as strong as ever. If Danks is going to come back any time soon, we won't have a spot for another SP anyways, given the way Gavin has pitched recently and of course, the Feathered.

We absolutely do not have the resources from a talent perspective to land a top end starter.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
We absolutely do not have the resources from a talent perspective to land a top end starter.

How many times have we said something like this only to see Kenny go and do just that?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)

We don't have enough to land a guy like Roy Halladay or Felix Hernandez but I think the Sox could figure out a way to get guys like Hamels/Greinke. I don't even think the Wsox even need a SP that good, could look at guys who are due off the DL soon in B-Mac/Dempster or someone like Volquez/Wandy Rodriguez

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
We don't have enough to land a guy like Roy Halladay or Felix Hernandez but I think the Sox could figure out a way to get guys like Hamels/Greinke. I don't even think the Wsox even need a SP that good, could look at guys who are due off the DL soon in B-Mac/Dempster or someone like Volquez/Wandy Rodriguez

Viciedo and one of those bullpen pieces like Reed or Jones might give you a legit chance at Hamels/Greinke.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Viciedo and one of those bullpen pieces like Reed or Jones might give you a legit chance at Hamels/Greinke.

I don't think you'd need to give them either of Reed or Jones.

Give them Viciedo and another decent prospect and it would be done.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
I don't think you'd need to give them either of Reed or Jones.

Give them Viciedo and another decent prospect and it would be done.

Outside of the guys in the bullpen, I'm not sure the Sox have "another decent prospect".

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
I think Dayan is going to have a huge second half and losing him for a starting pitcher would be a mixed blessing at best this season, and extremely short sighted beyond that.

I'd agree with this...but if we're interested in going after a top flight starter, he's the best chip the team has.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
I'd agree with this...but if we're interested in going after a top flight starter, he's the best chip the team has.

Agree with this. But, now I think if that type of deal presented itself I would not be trading Viciedo for a rental player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
Outside of the guys in the bullpen, I'm not sure the Sox have "another decent prospect".

I really don't think there are going to be better offers out there than a player of Viciedo's ceiling for a 3-month rental. Yes, we may have to toss in some other pieces, but not a guy like Reed or Jones, who have tremendous value in their own right at this point.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
I think Dayan is going to have a huge second half and losing him for a starting pitcher would be a mixed blessing at best this season, and extremely short sighted beyond that.

If you think the player you are acquiring is truly the guy to put you over the top, then you don't worry too much about the long term. There are too many unknowns. You control what you can, and take your shots at winning when you can, because there may not be other chances down the road.