White Sox may go after Starting Pitching

Baron

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
Anibal Sanchez, it would seem? I can't see Marlins trading away anyone yet.

But with Stanton out...they're very likely to be trading people by the end of July unless someone makes up for his bat. They're already the 3rd worst offense in the NL, and now they've lost their only hitter with an OPS over .800 for the next 5-6 weeks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
But with Stanton out...they're very likely to be trading people by the end of July unless someone makes up for his bat. They're already the 3rd worst offense in the NL, and now they've lost their only hitter with an OPS over .800 for the next 5-6 weeks.

I can't see them giving up though, regardless of whether they should or not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Mark Buehrle's contract was written so that they could give up if they had to.

I'm not sure that I understand this thinking...if they desire to move him, they're going to have to either eat a s***load of that contract or trade some major talent along with Mark.

Mark has pitched well, but I don't see anyone wanting him for 3.5 years and $54 million right now.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
I'm not sure that I understand this thinking...if they desire to move him, they're going to have to either eat a s***load of that contract or trade some major talent along with Mark.

Mark has pitched well, but I don't see anyone wanting him for 3.5 years and $54 million right now.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

I'd rather see us eat a bunch of money to get a player like Buehrle instead of creating a big hole in our offense to bring in another top pitcher.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
Heath Bell? :lolhitting

Why? AddiReed is doing just fine and you have Thorton Jones and Crain who can all close we need a middle of the pen guy or a setup man... I'd say look for a deal linking Santiago with another youngster for a starter or a middle guy because if Danks is healthy we have a long man in Humber. I say KW sits on this for a little bit and sees how our young pitchers do in the start of the 2nd half

QUOTE (Wagz @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Why? AddiReed is doing just fine and you have Thorton Jones and Crain who can all close we need a middle of the pen guy or a setup man... I'd say look for a deal linking Santiago with another youngster for a starter or a middle guy because if Danks is healthy we have a long man in Humber. I say KW sits on this for a little bit and sees how our young pitchers do in the start of the 2nd half

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm fairly confident in saying that Wedge was being sarcastic about Bell, hence the :lolhitting emoticon..

QUOTE (Wagz @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)

Sorry I forgot the sarcasm font

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
I'd rather see us eat a bunch of money to get a player like Buehrle instead of creating a big hole in our offense to bring in another top pitcher.

Well of course you would...it's not your money...

I don't view dealing Viciedo as creating a big hole in our offense, however. He's more like a luxury at this point.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd rather have Hamels...so you deal Viciedo for him now and then sign him long-term, you're spending more over the course of the contract but probably not much more over the course of the next 3+ years.

Additionally, I would be a bit shocked if the Marlins were to cut bait on Mark after so little time. That would be almost unprecedented in recent MLB history.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
Well of course you would...it's not your money...

I don't view dealing Viciedo as creating a big hole in our offense, however. He's more like a luxury at this point.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd rather have Hamels...so you deal Viciedo for him now and then sign him long-term, you're spending more over the course of the contract but probably not much more over the course of the next 3+ years.

Additionally, I would be a bit shocked if the Marlins were to cut bait on Mark after so little time. That would be almost unprecedented in recent MLB history.

Why would you dump from our offense in a playoff run? Dayan is on pace for a ~80 RBI (even better if you don't include the cold April in your projection) season, as much as I like Jordan Danks I sure don't expect him to have production like that for the rest of the season.

The point made earlier in the thread was that anyone that would pay Mark could have Mark. If the chairman was willing to pay Mark, I'd certainly choose that over giving up a key cog in our offense and even bigger key to the future in Viciedo for yet another starting pitcher.

If we're not willing to pay Mark (or he isn't truly available at such a low price), then I still don't want to move Viciedo for a starter. Too much subtraction for the addition.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
Why would you dump from our offense in a playoff run? Dayan is on pace for a ~80 RBI (even better if you don't include the cold April in your projection) season, as much as I like Jordan Danks I sure don't expect him to have production like that for the rest of the season.

The point made earlier in the thread was that anyone that would pay Mark could have Mark. If the chairman was willing to pay Mark, I'd certainly choose that over giving up a key cog in our offense and even bigger key to the future in Viciedo for yet another starting pitcher.

If we're not willing to pay Mark (or he isn't truly available at such a low price), then I still don't want to move Viciedo for a starter. Too much subtraction for the addition.

Yeah, I understand your point. I just disagree.

I'd gladly throw Hamels/Sale/Peavy/Quintana/Danks-Floyd out there with a lineup not featuring Viciedo over the same rotation (given the question marks) and a lineup including Dayan.

You've also got to factor in the notion that the chances Mark is available right now are slim to none.

If we add anything, KW will not subtract from the ML roster unless it's a lesser bullpen arm like Santiago or Septimo. Or I can see us dangle Quintana in the right trade, but there is no way KW will trade Tank. I'm pretty confident though pitching will be added and I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if KW pulls another shocker. Again although all the reporting sites say our farm system is horrible, I disagree and KW shows he can get a big name with guys we have in the minors. Let's wait and see but sooner than later KW is going to strike!!

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
...Let's wait and see but sooner than later KW is going to strike!!

strike in the name of inequality?

living wage rights?

Why would kenny strike?

Joking aside - what SP's are available that the sox could land?

I'm not thinking hammels or grenke match up with us well.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Sox scouting the Marlins/Cardinals series...

People thinking about a possible Miami trade.. but I wouldn't discount a St. Louis deal.

Mitch Boggs or Lance Lynn

maybe for someone like Axelrod, Petricka, or Castro coupled with Dan Johnson, I know he's not a prospect but a capable ML power bat that could be useful to a team with zero power from the left side.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)

Man, that Buehrle contract is really bad. It's hard to imagine paying him $19 Mil when he's 37.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
People thinking about a possible Miami trade.. but I wouldn't discount a St. Louis deal.

Mitch Boggs or Lance Lynn

maybe for someone like Axelrod, Petricka, or Castro coupled with Dan Johnson, I know he's not a prospect but a capable ML power bat that could be useful to a team with zero power from the left side.

No way St. Louis trades young, cheap, and live arms. While I'd love either one St. Louis and Miami most likely would be looking to cut payroll in any trades, thus most likely veterans.

I really don't know who we'd be scouting from those two teams, I don't see either one of those teams trading from their ML roster. With the extra WC spot I would imagine they will hold tight if not add like Miami already did this week. St. Louis was all but counted out last year, caught fire at the right time and have another ring on their fingers.