White Sox may go after Starting Pitching

Baron

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Are the Cubs still paying Zambrano's contract or is that on Miami. He would be one I'd have some interest in on Miami, other then MB obviously.

f*** that. He's still a nutcase and he hasn't been all that good this year.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still don't believe we have the pieces for a Greinke or Hamels, and I'm not even sure I'd want Greinke...

Jason Vargas

Dempster

E. Bedard (he was an ideal candidate before the Pirates suddenly because the story of the season)

B. Myers (our bullpen is clearly short now at least one pitcher...especially with Crain's status uncertain)

Wandy Rodriguez

Garza

Matt Capps

Heath Bell (looking like they should just dump him and eat that contract but he's not in good shape)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
Jason Vargas

Dempster

E. Bedard (he was an ideal candidate before the Pirates suddenly because the story of the season)

B. Myers (our bullpen is clearly short now at least one pitcher...especially with Crain's status uncertain)

Wandy Rodriguez

Garza

Matt Capps

Heath Bell (looking like they should just dump him and eat that contract but he's not in good shape)

Not sure what it'd take to get Capps and I'm not sure I like any of the starting options.

Garza and dempster are interesting but I'm not sure they'll be worth the price.

I really know zilch about this years trade deadline or canadates. :lolhitting

Francisco Liriano

Jorge DeLaRosa (only put this name up because he's either a FA or has unrealistic option for 2013, coming off a major injury/surgery)

September's the earliest the Rockies will see De La Rosa, if they see him at all this season. He is slowly coming back from Tommy John surgery performed June 3, 2011..

Jeremy Guthrie would be another name from the Rockies, 6+ ERA so obviously him pitched in Denver got him spooked and would cost next to nothing but has always had very good stuff...high draft pick, Don Cooper/KW specialty.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
And who could u possibly acquire him with that wouldn't cripple our major league roster?

We really don't have the pieces or ammunition for that type of acquisition. And what is Seattle's motivation to trade him?

Even Viciedo, Nathan Jones, Mitchell and Thompson/Saladino wouldn't get it done. Not even close.

People always say that and then a guy gets traded and you hear things like, "that's all it took to get him." Felix would cost alot but the Sox, or any team, has the assets to get him.

What was Seattle's motivation for letting Griffey, Johnson, Arod, or others leave? They all made, or were about to make, big money. Seattle isn't winning so stocking up on assets isn't a bad option. All that being said, I seriously doubt the Sox trade for him.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 04:37 AM)
People always say that and then a guy gets traded and you hear things like, "that's all it took to get him." Felix would cost alot but the Sox, or any team, has the assets to get him.

What was Seattle's motivation for letting Griffey, Johnson, Arod, or others leave? They all made, or were about to make, big money. Seattle isn't winning so stocking up on assets isn't a bad option. All that being said, I seriously doubt the Sox trade for him.

As much as we keep taling about the rookies throughout the roster, none of them are impact players, other than Reed.

Other teams have the same concerns about Nathan Jones' career history (erratic at best) and his straight-line fastball. Notice in the game yesterday, he finds it hard to miss bats even at 98-100 because of the lack of movement? While a team looking for a future closer would want him as a part of a package, a kid like Jones is just one out of 3 or probably 4 pieces.

Yesterday, with Omogrosso, Septimo, Jones and Santiago.....showed the very clear weaknesses of the pen and why they probably are more likely to add a piece rather than subtract one. In fact, facing Frasor, our reliever from last year who would be in the Crain role now if not for his salary and seeming superfluousness on the roster, made that an even stronger point about KW's roster construction. Can we trust that level of inexperience in a bullpen down the stretch? Especially Jones and Santiago?

You're also going to have to trade Viciedo...so that causes another problem, because that would mean Danks or someone like Conor Jackson or Dan Johnson playing LF. That's going to be a disaster, simply put.

So let's say it is Jones, Viciedo, Mitchell and someone else (Santiago/Simon Castro/Hernandez/Trayce Thompson/Saladino).

Still not sure that's enough. Just having 3-4-5 players in a deal, that's the kind of trades Cubs' fans come up with after a tough loss but don't work in the real world.

The only realistic move not to cripple the team THIS year is taking on a salary, like they did with Youk.

Edited by caulfield12

As much as we keep taling about the rookies throughout the roster, none of them are impact players, other than Reed.

Is Quintana not an impact player, is Quintana not a rookie, or do you need to amend that statement?

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 05:37 AM)

Felix Hernandez is making $18.5 million this year. I don't think they're worried about him making a lot of money.

Caulfield, I quit reading at "Nate Jones...fastball...lack of movement"

He has extremely good 2 seam run on his fastball. Everything that guy throw is nasty. He, like other pitchers, still must locate and change speeds though.

He has extremely good 2 seam run on his fastball. Everything that guy throw is nasty. He, like other pitchers, still must locate and change speeds though.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:23 AM)

He just needs to make some adjustments. The hitters have adjusted and started getting to him...now he's just got to show them something different.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
He just needs to make some adjustments. The hitters have adjusted and started getting to him...now he's just got to show them something different.

I feel like his control has been way off lately?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Are the Cubs still paying Zambrano's contract or is that on Miami. He would be one I'd have some interest in on Miami, other then MB obviously.

No thanks. The dude is a train wreck if he doesn't have everything his way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:24 AM)
I feel like his control has been way off lately?

Yeah, he's not been as crisp as he was early on...but I'm not sure if that is a result of his fastball getting hit around a bit lately and so he's not as confident, or if he's just a bit fatigued, or if he's just not throwing as well right now.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:23 AM)

Agreed. Jones might even have too much movement on everything he throws. It makes his pitches hard to control and repeat.

I say this every year at the deadline. Nobody here knows the value of any player. Every year people act shocked when a player is traded for far less than the expert message boards posters have deemed their value, or vice versa.

Jake, this can be my Zach Stewart moment. You believe that he as the ability to be a solid major league starter. Very few here do. All I can do is comment on what I am seeing with my own eyes. Just like the idea that anyone in baseball is stupid to thrown either Beckham or Viciedo anything but a letter high or above fastball. (What I don't understand with Gordon is how he's on such a high strikeout pace recently...he just doesn't look comfortable with that stance and he's got such a pronounced hitch that there's almost no way for him to pull a fastball...)

If you were watching the game yesterday, nobody swung and missed on Jones' fastball.

Yet all of them were thrown at 98-100 MPH.

That's telling. Of course, part of the story is that he was getting behind in counts and having to come with the fastball, but that's not the whole enchilada.

He just hasn't been as consistent with his secondary stuff. From what I've seen since I returned to the US and have been watching all the games on t.v. instead of listening on the radio, he's either lacking in confidence (we saw this with Sergio in the 2nd half last year) and/or not able to throw his slider to get a swing and a miss. That's the great thing about Sale....having that 3rd pitch, the change-up. Of course, most bullpen pitchers wouldn't be there if they could adequately throw 3 or more pitches.

The fact of the matter is that trading Viciedo and Jones (they would want Reed, first, logically) already blows 2 big holes in the roster...especially with Crain's return uncertain, as well as his ability to stay healthy going forward.

Most importantly, SEA doesn't want to trade him. Or need to trade him.

Bullpen will get a much needed rest from the ASB and I really dont think a SP is what we need if Danks/Humber come back. If we can get DA out of the rotation we will be fine. I think we add a reliever at most to this team not a big name starter. It just is not necessary at this point in time to go spend alot for a rental. King Felix would be great but we would tear what is left of our farm system up to get him. I say we probably get a guy like Choate or someone of that nature, but then again what do I know what KW wants to do. Stranger things have happened.

Jones averages almost a strikeout an inning. If you throw out his performance 2 games against the Cubs and Houston, his ERA is 1.42. I really don't know what people expect. Apparently if you give up a run or don't strike just about everyone out, you have major flaws. There isn't a team in baseball that wouldn't love to have Nate Jones right now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
Felix Hernandez is making $18.5 million this year. I don't think they're worried about him making a lot of money.

Money is always an issue. They are a losing team with him and he'd be their biggest trade chip to rebuild the talent pool. If they can do that and shed 18.5 million in salary, they'd have to look at it. What team in that situation wouldn't look at it?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
Still don't believe we have the pieces for a Greinke or Hamels, and I'm not even sure I'd want Greinke...

One other thing on the Greinke/Hamels discussion...if we wanted to go after either of them, the team we're going to have to beat for them is the Rangers, who sure as heck sound like they're willing to part with 3b prospect Mike Olt (#34 on BA's list coming into the year) for starting pitching. Makes sense anyway, since Adrian Beltre isn't giving up their 3b spot for several years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
One other thing on the Greinke/Hamels discussion...if we wanted to go after either of them, the team we're going to have to beat for them is the Rangers, who sure as heck sound like they're willing to part with 3b prospect Mike Olt (#34 on BA's list coming into the year) for starting pitching. Makes sense anyway, since Adrian Beltre isn't giving up their 3b spot for several years.

D*** Rangers, but happy they would take him instead of us because we dont need him.

Edited and by need him I mean we dont need to give up what it takes to get him. Of course it would be wonderful to have hamels/greinke but lets be serious is it worth 3-5 prospects including Dayan and/or AddiReed along with another outfielder from our minors like thompson or Mitchell (most likely the later) and maybe a Q or Jones. I just dont see how that actually helps the team. It takes away from other major positions. Just does not add up to me.

Edited by Wagz

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)

No way we can come up with better prospects than Rangers, as their farm is stacked. But chances are they won't go after both Greinke and Hamels.

The Greinke mental thing is overblown. He's a top 5 or 10 starter in the MLB right now in an environment stacked with amazing starters. I'd love to have him. I'd love to extend him.

That said, we won;t get him because he won;t be worth the talent unless we extend him, and I believe most of that money went to Danks.