White Sox may go after Starting Pitching

Baron

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Jones averages almost a strikeout an inning. If you throw out his performance 2 games against the Cubs and Houston, his ERA is 1.42. I really don't know what people expect. Apparently if you give up a run or don't strike just about everyone out, you have major flaws. There isn't a team in baseball that wouldn't love to have Nate Jones right now.

I fully support this. I think Nate Jones probably has the best stuff in the bullpen, and I adore Addison Reed. He's a 26 year old rookie pitcher who throws a million miles an hour that has some control issues. There have been many other pitchers with worse stuff who had bigger problems with control than Nate Jones. He's just fine and he's been handled pretty much perfectly this year.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Money is always an issue. They are a losing team with him and he'd be their biggest trade chip to rebuild the talent pool. If they can do that and shed 18.5 million in salary, they'd have to look at it. What team in that situation wouldn't look at it?

The Mariners aren't going to be in any rush to move him considering he's under contract through 2014, they're going to want a monster package (which I honestly doubt the Sox can offer at this point), and they're probably not going to kick in any cash if they do move him. On top of that, if they were to kick in cash, they'd want even more in return. We're talking like "Mark Teixeira to the Braves" type of package here.

There are cheaper options, both in money and players, that will be more than effective enough if that's the route the Sox want to go.

Thought I just had: if Humber comes back and has a couple decent outings, what do the Sox do?

(this is assuming John Danks doesn't make it back pitching well)

At that point, you have the rotation depth that is necessary to win the division, but after Sale and Peavy, do you trust Quintana and Floyd/Humber in the postseason? I'm not entirely sure you can.

The reason I bring it up is that I think Humber can be a trade chip too. He had a good season last year and it wasn't smoke and mirrors either - he was legitimately good. He's been bad this year, but there a couple of things he can do - limit walks, produce more grounders - which will get him right back to where he was. He's cost controlled, is 29 (which might be good enough to get him another 5-7 years in the league), and can probably eat a few innings for teams too.

It would absolutely be selling low on him, so there's a lot of give and take that goes along with it. But if the price is right, I'd be more than OK with it.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Money is always an issue. They are a losing team with him and he'd be their biggest trade chip to rebuild the talent pool. If they can do that and shed 18.5 million in salary, they'd have to look at it. What team in that situation wouldn't look at it?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...ying-in-seattle

"He ain't going anywhere,'' Zduriencik says of superstar pitcher Felix Hernandez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
Thought I just had: if Humber comes back and has a couple decent outings, what do the Sox do?

(this is assuming John Danks doesn't make it back pitching well)

At that point, you have the rotation depth that is necessary to win the division, but after Sale and Peavy, do you trust Quintana and Floyd/Humber in the postseason? I'm not entirely sure you can.

The reason I bring it up is that I think Humber can be a trade chip too. He had a good season last year and it wasn't smoke and mirrors either - he was legitimately good. He's been bad this year, but there a couple of things he can do - limit walks, produce more grounders - which will get him right back to where he was. He's cost controlled, is 29 (which might be good enough to get him another 5-7 years in the league), and can probably eat a few innings for teams too.

It would absolutely be selling low on him, so there's a lot of give and take that goes along with it. But if the price is right, I'd be more than OK with it.

What would we be trying to get back with Humber though? The team's biggest needs right now are on the pitching staff...starting pitching and perhaps bullpen help if Crain can't get healthy. Basically, the thing this team needs...are 2 roles that Philip Humber can fill, if what you propose is true.

And for the postseason...whoever gets this team into the postseason is the 3rd/4th starter. They're not going to appear in the playoffs if their #3/#4 starters put up ERA's of 5 in September. Whoever pitches well enough to get the team there starts ALDS game 3.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 02:09 AM)

So that means he's traded come the deadline :D . I never really thought the Sox would get him but why not try.

As for the Seattle GM, with all their young pitching coming up, they'd be stupid not to see what kind of hitting they can get for him. They don't have 1 guy hitting above .260.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
The Greinke mental thing is overblown. He's a top 5 or 10 starter in the MLB right now in an environment stacked with amazing starters. I'd love to have him. I'd love to extend him.

That said, we won;t get him because he won;t be worth the talent unless we extend him, and I believe most of that money went to Danks.

If you make a trade for a SP with an expirering contract you BETTER extend him right away. One thing you have to remember is Peavy's big contract is off the books after this season so that gives the team a better chance at signing another pitcher to a long term deal. Not to mention the Sox may opt to no take that option of Floyd giving them even more flexibility.

I think we have a much better chance in acquirering a mid-level starter over a guy like Grienke/Hamels. At least that is the case if we want to keep Viciedo.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
If you make a trade for a SP with an expirering contract you BETTER extend him right away. One thing you have to remember is Peavy's big contract is off the books after this season so that gives the team a better chance at signing another pitcher to a long term deal. Not to mention the Sox may opt to no take that option of Floyd giving them even more flexibility.

I think we have a much better chance in acquirering a mid-level starter over a guy like Grienke/Hamels. At least that is the case if we want to keep Viciedo.

It's true, though I'm sure KW was planning on Peavy coming off the books while negotiating with Danks too.

Also, I don't see us giving up Quetzacoatl, because that opens up the same hole we fill with getting a SP. That being said, there's no one in our system I wouldn't move for Greinke or Hamels if we would extend them -- the lottery ticket type prospects we have are such incredible longshots to become a players like Greinke/Hamels, and both guys are plenty young enough to be worthwhile signings. I just don't think KW or JR want to throw a $100m contract at a pitcher right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
What would we be trying to get back with Humber though? The team's biggest needs right now are on the pitching staff...starting pitching and perhaps bullpen help if Crain can't get healthy. Basically, the thing this team needs...are 2 roles that Philip Humber can fill, if what you propose is true.

And for the postseason...whoever gets this team into the postseason is the 3rd/4th starter. They're not going to appear in the playoffs if their #3/#4 starters put up ERA's of 5 in September. Whoever pitches well enough to get the team there starts ALDS game 3.

If the Sox were to acquire, say, Anibal Sanchez (who's in the final year of his deal), a guy like Phil Humber makes a lot of sense to not only fill that void in the rotation for the remainder of the year, but also for the future because I imagine that team is going to atleast try and be competitive in the next 2-3 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
JC Romero is available. I would take him over the inexperienced Septimo, who has no clue how to hold runners on and spotty control.

Juan Uribe has a 25% chance (or more) of becoming available to bolster the bench.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/l...0,3368879.story

Juan can play 2nd ss or third. As far as Septimo with his spotty control ; Iw ould just say if he hits the strike zone its an accident.

Man, one outing sure changes everything with Septimo.

And no thanks to Juan, I don't want to see him anywhere but 3rd base and we can cover that position just fine.

My solution to all of this contract stuff is to just win the World Series. If we win the WS, we'll bring EVERYBODY back and perhaps even add on top of it :)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Man, one outing sure changes everything with Septimo.

And no thanks to Juan, I don't want to see him anywhere but 3rd base and we can cover that position just fine.

My solution to all of this contract stuff is to just win the World Series. If we win the WS, we'll bring EVERYBODY back and perhaps even add on top of it :)

His BB/9 had dropped to 4.7 at Charlotte and has been going down the last few years too.