Javier Vazquez

Chisoxfn

I've been doing some thinking, and if those so called Cubs rumors of Hill, Zambrono, and Farnsworth for Vazquez, Vidro and Tatis are true, then maybe the Sox could work something up where they land Vazquez.

I'd say Vazquez and Vidro, but that just isn't likely, because they both make decent money.

Anyway, how about Willie Harris or Tim Hummel, Matt Ginter, and Jeff Liefer for Javier Vazquez.

Just throwing it out their.

The Expos could then deal Vidro, and then let Harris play 2nd(they seem to want to trade Vidro), while the Sox then use Graffy and Hummel or Harris.

Liefer is decent and all, but hey, Hollandsworth can be had, and we can hold onto Lee.

This way if Thomas, Rowand or Lee go down or even PK and Maggs, Hollandsworth can step right in. Plus, Todd will provide the left handed bat off the bench.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I've been doing some thinking, and if those so called Cubs rumors of Hill, Zambrono, and Farnsworth for Vazquez, Vidro and Tatis are true, then maybe the Sox could work something up where they land Vazquez.

I'd say Vazquez and Vidro, but that just isn't likely, because they both make decent money.

Anyway, how about Willie Harris or Tim Hummel, Matt Ginter, and Jeff Liefer for Javier Vazquez.

Just throwing it out their.

The Expos could then deal Vidro, and then let Harris play 2nd(they seem to want to trade Vidro), while the Sox then use Graffy and Hummel or Harris.

Liefer is decent and all, but hey, Hollandsworth can be had, and we can hold onto Lee.

This way if Thomas, Rowand or Lee go down or even PK and Maggs, Hollandsworth can step right in.  Plus, Todd will provide the left handed bat off the bench.

.........I just don't think were gonna pull of a deal with the 'Spos, because of JR's current involvment with them. Lets all pray though.

Originally posted by mac9001

First off JR is in too deep with the Expos, so any deal is unlikely, secondly Vazquez is going to make around 6 mil this year, and that about 6 mil too much for the Sox's.

ref the money i say this, jr will spend it if there is a need and vazquez is worth it.

If your gonna spend 6 mil, just go and sign Byrd. This way we get a better starter then Vazquez and we get to keep our prospects. But thats a little too complicated for KW, so he'll probably trade for a guy like Vazquez and trade away a future star.

Byrd is no vazquez and you are sadly mistaken to think otherwise.

byrd=fluke.

Byrd isn't a fluke, but Vazquez is young and has amazing stuff.

This guy is going to be an ace and he's got the possibilty to become a cy young award winner.

Byrd is a good pitcher, but not a great one. Still, he'd be an amazing pickup for the Sox.

6 mill is a lot for the Sox to spend either way. I'm just saying if we could get Vazquez it would be huge. Big thing is, Vazquez is a hard thrower, and it would be nice having a hard thrower since Garland, Buerhle and Ritchie don't really rely on the whiff.

I can't wait to see Rauch produce, he's my pick for rookie of the year, but hopefully he'll be competing with Joe Crede :D

Byrd isn't a fluke, but Vazquez is young and has amazing stuff.

This guy is going to be an ace and he's got the possibilty to become a cy young award winner.

Byrd is a good pitcher, but not a great one.  Still, he'd be an amazing pickup for the Sox. 

6 mill is a lot for the Sox to spend either way.  I'm just saying if we could get Vazquez it would be huge.  Big thing is, Vazquez is a hard thrower, and it would be nice having a hard thrower since Garland, Buerhle and Ritchie don't really rely on the whiff.

I can't wait to see Rauch produce, he's my pick for rookie of the year, but hopefully he'll be competing with Joe Crede :D

your sage like wisdom this evening is amazing. another good point.

except for byrd not being more than a fluke.

Vazquez is better then Byrd, simply because he's 6 years younger, but i'd rather have Byrd at the same money and keep the prospect we'd have to give up. Vazquez has 2 years (this year included) of arbitration, so we'd lose him after 2 years anyway, for those 2 years Byrd will most likely put up similar stats.

Vazquez is better then Byrd, simply because he's 6 years younger, but i'd rather have Byrd at the same money and keep the prospect we'd have to give up. Vazquez has 2 years (this year included) of arbitration, so we'd lose him after 2 years anyway, for those 2 years Byrd will most likely put up similar stats.

are you saying that the stuff byrd throws is better than vaz?

you will in essence be picking up a pit who is as good as milton of the twins.

I think it all depends on price.

If the Expos are willing to do it for Willie Harris and one of our 2nd tier pitching prospects(Maybe even Josh Stewart), then I'd definately do it.

If it were to cost us Jon Rauch, then I'd think long and hard about it. Especially considering we could sign Byrd and keep Rauch.

If it costs us Rauch then you have to ask what will be better.

A rotation of

Buerhle

Vazquez

Garland

Wright

Ritchie

or

Buerhle

Byrd

Garland

Wright

Ritchie

Eventually Rauch

I think Mac brings up a great point.

If you go around and look at most pathetic teams in the history of the majors you don't see many 17 game winners for bad teams that are a fluke.

Typically if your a fluke pitcher, your gonna do it for a really good team with a great offense.

Tapani had that fluke year with the Cubs(He's good, but not that good). JB had a fluke year with the Sox a couple year ago, imo.

You don't have a fluke year when you win 17 for as bad of a team as the Royals.

Can anyone look up all the 17 game winners for teams with a winning pct of like .450 or less. I'm guessing not many on that list are bums.

I think it all depends on price.

If the Expos are willing to do it for Willie Harris and one of our 2nd tier pitching prospects(Maybe even Josh Stewart), then I'd definately do it.

If it were to cost us Jon Rauch, then I'd think long and hard about it.  Especially considering we could sign Byrd and keep Rauch.

If it costs us Rauch then you have to ask what will be better.

A rotation of 

Buerhle

Vazquez

Garland

Wright

Ritchie

or

Buerhle

Byrd

Garland

Wright 

Ritchie

Eventually Rauch

i say any deal with rauch is way to steep, but a package of a #3 pit prospect and lee and throwin pit will do it. they need to free up some money. lee can play 1b and andrea is a fa who didn't do so hot last yr.

I think dealing Lee is out of the question, because the Expos can't take his salary.

If we are dealing Lee, then I'd pretty much say Lee straight up for Vazquez and see what they'd say. Otherwise, add Ginter.

Still, I don't want to deal Lee. I think he'll be an integral part of this offense and with all the young hitters we will have, we need to have great hitting vets like PK, Maggs, Frank, and Lee in the middle of the order.

You can't expect a thing from Crede, Jimenez, Olivo, Rowand, etc.

I think they will do well, but they've done nothing to say you can count on it.

I think dealing Lee is out of the question, because the Expos can't take his salary.

If we are dealing Lee, then I'd pretty much say Lee straight up for Vazquez and see what they'd say.  Otherwise, add Ginter.

Still, I don't want to deal Lee.  I think he'll be an integral part of this offense and with all the young hitters we will have, we need to have great hitting vets like PK, Maggs, Frank, and Lee in the middle of the order. 

You can't expect a thing from Crede, Jimenez, Olivo, Rowand, etc.

I think they will do well, but they've done nothing to say you can count on it.

dealing lee is what i was saying and still am. however i was really had a feeling that borchard should make the roster. his performance this winter has change my mind. however, i can deal with jeff leifer if lee can bring us vaz.

If the 'Spos are looking to dump salary, theres no way they'd want Carlos, who is gonna make something like 3.5 mil this year.

Something like Rauch or Corwin Malone, +Harris/Hummel or Stewart for Vazquez and KW would probably give up that much.

better than what they would have to pay andrea or some other fa to play 1b.

All I know is i don't even want to think about Liefer as our everyday left fielder.

Hollandsworth...sure, but not Liefer. He's way over-rated by most Sox fans. I liked what I saw out of him two years ago, but he has a long swing and just doesn't look like anything special to me.

They are expected to make the official announcement of how much money they will need to cut just before the Winter Break.

Odds are, tons of teams are going to be making offers and the Sox may just be best off trying to find a bargain in the free agent pile while other teams drive the price of Vazquez, Colon and Vidro up.