Story about Dunn and his child

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Sure, fans pay their money and have the right to boo their own players, but this in part helps highlight (amongst many other reasons) why there's no good reason to do it. Hope many people feel at least somewhat ashamed today.

Why would people feel ashamed? This story doesn't make those boos any less deserved.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Sure, fans pay their money and have the right to boo their own players, but this in part helps highlight (amongst many other reasons) why there's no good reason to do it. Hope many people feel at least somewhat ashamed today.

Ashamed? Adam owes me an apology for last year.

I wish nothing but the best for Adam and his son. However, the article said the boy is 5 y.o., and I read nothing to suggest that last year was particularly difficult for him (or his mom and dad). Adam had good seasons in the past despite these family challenges, and I suspect his struggles last year had more to do with swtiching leagues, etc. than just this.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Ashamed? Adam owes me an apology for last year.

LOL. I get so tired of the "everybody gets a trophy" culture when it comes to booing players.

Dunn is a class act and I could never understand some people can't separate the player from performance. He sucks, knew and was never afraid to talk to reporters or come up with lame excuses. Too bad, his maturity could have rubbed off on Ozzie and Cooper.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
LOL. I get so tired of the "everybody gets a trophy" culture when it comes to booing players.

Dunn is a class act and I could never understand some people can't separate the player from performance. He sucks, knew and was never afraid to talk to reporters or come up with lame excuses. Too bad, his maturity could have rubbed off on Ozzie and Cooper.

Excellent post.

It's things like this that make you think twice before tearing into athletes. It's hard to check yourself before uncorking choice words in the direction of an athlete who's sucking 100% of the time because that's a natural reaction to have in sports, but I try to simmer down and look at things from a wider perspective. In the grand scheme of things it looks dumb as hell to get worked up over people playing a game.

*edit* None of the above applies to Josh Hamilton, I just really don't like the dude.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)

Um, the booing is for his performance. I don't care if he is a class act or an asshole.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
It's things like this that make you think twice before tearing into athletes. It's hard to check yourself before uncorking choice words in the direction of an athlete who's sucking 100% of the time because that's a natural reaction to have in sports, but I try to simmer down and look at things from a wider perspective. In the grand scheme of things it looks dumb as hell to get worked up over people playing a game.

*edit* None of the above applies to Josh Hamilton, I just really don't like the dude.

Too bad employees can't say this kind of stuff to their boss when they are getting yelled at.

Do you owe your local community an apology if you don't meet ur sales targets?

For not contributing as much as possible to the economy, leading to diminished output, higher unemployment and lower GDP?

Adam perhaps feels like it owes it to KW and JR, but every ballplayer knows the booing comes with the territory. Does Dunn or any player have a "higher obligation" because of his public status? To be a role model?

Should he have the right to ask for more money if he's overperforming, for example? Or to ask for more cheers or adulation from the fans or endorsement deals (see Alexei Ramirez 2008-2010).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
Do you owe your local community an apology if you don't meet ur sales targets?

For not contributing as much as possible to the economy, leading to diminished output, higher unemployment and lower GDP?

Adam perhaps feels like it owes it to KW and JR, but every ballplayer knows the booing comes with the territory. Does Dunn or any player have a "higher obligation" because of his public status? To be a role model?

Should he have the right to ask for more money if he's overperforming, for example? Or to ask for more cheers or adulation from the fans or endorsement deals (see Alexei Ramirez 2008-2010).

THIS IS A GAME! A GAME..

They get paid millions to play a GAME

I dont give a s*** if your mom has aids and you just found out your dad has cancer in both testicles.. Hit the damn baseball, and if you hit .150 and strike out 500 times you're going to get boo'd. No excuses. I dont watch sports to find out how Gordon Beckhams uncle is doing in life.

I can just imagine if Gordon was getting booed like Dunn last year.

Harrelson:

1) Those umpires are just not giving him a chance.

2) He's having problems with his g/f.

3) Sully's not here to watch.

4) They've moved him all over the infield and up and down the line-up.

5) Greg Walker forced him to change his swing after 2009.

6) His dad is his coach and he's getting inconsistent advice.

7) Doesn't matter what he hits, his defense makes his presence in the line-up indispensable.

8) He brings lots of female groupies out to games.

9) He's the first one out there doing hitting drills and working with Manto, putting too much pressure on himself (see Konerko/Quentin).

10) He'll get it figured out. I've never seen a more talented SS come out of the University of Georgia in my 75 years in baseball.

Why should people feel ashamed of themselves? Should we suspect that every athlete who struggles with their performances to be dealing with life crisis? It's not like people are booing him for this family issues. Fans have expectations and booing is a consequences of players failing to meet expectation.

And I didn't think this was news, I believe it was posted here at the end of last season.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
Why should people feel ashamed of themselves? Should we suspect that every athlete who struggles with their performances to be dealing with life crisis? It's not like people are booing him for this family issues. Fans have expectations and booing is a consequences of players failing to meet expectation.

And maybe that is true.

But as a fan, I want the players on my team to do well. So I can get over my need to boo my own player, to try and be positive and hope that they play better.

I can only speak for myself, but a lot of people are hard on themselves, and the last thing they need is a group of people who cant remotely do what they do, booing from the sidelines as if they understand.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:54 PM)
And maybe that is true.

But as a fan, I want the players on my team to do well. So I can get over my need to boo my own player, to try and be positive and hope that they play better.

I can only speak for myself, but a lot of people are hard on themselves, and the last thing they need is a group of people who cant remotely do what they do, booing from the sidelines as if they understand.

Its not the fans job to understand, that's why they are the fan. "Adam Dunn just struck out for the 5th time today, but you know what hitting a baseball is pretty hard so im gonna let this one slide" Nobody thinks like that, when people suck at their job they get fired/criticized. Doesn't matter what you do.