Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 04:00 AM)
:gosox1:

Can't be worse than what we got though, right?

Yes it can be. With the limited resources the Sox have, making a trade that doesn't provide an immediate upgrade would be a mistake.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
Look at his numbers, he has not been good at all. he only got the closers job because somehow Axford has been worse.

what about greinke? he has one great year on his resume. 3.83 era last , 3.57 this year and in the n.l. hes good but i dont understand why people talk about him as if hes a true ace. hes not. and he apparently doesnt like too much pressure or pitching on the road: 2.56 at home, 4.46 road. last two years? 15-0 at home, 10-9 on the road, 4.55.

( i know you didnt mention him, just saying hes not great either)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
what about greinke? he has one great year on his resume. 3.83 era last , 3.57 this year and in the n.l. hes good but i dont understand why people talk about him as if hes a true ace. hes not. and he apparently doesnt like too much pressure or pitching on the road: 2.56 at home, 4.46 road. last two years? 15-0 at home, 10-9 on the road, 4.55.

( i know you didnt mention him, just saying hes not great either)

Other people have mentioned that too at times. His Cy Young year & his Miller Park starts are outstanding, but everything else in no way screams ace. He needs to be put more on Garza's level, instead of Hamels as everyone has been doing this past month.

I would not give up anything valuable for him that's for sure, and probably have MIL eat some remaining money but some stupid GM most likely outbids that. He's been-there done-that before though in terms of penant race/pressure situations. Unlike our entire bullpen.

Can't get Crain back soon enough

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
Other people have mentioned that too at times. His Cy Young year & his Miller Park starts are outstanding, but everything else in no way screams ace. He needs to be put more on Garza's level, instead of Hamels as everyone has been doing this past month.

and its not just on this board. the media has him up there with hamels. hes going to get a ton of money too. imo, he makes no sense for the sox. oh and u.s. cellular is too dark for him too.

>greinke and james both have had one great year.

career:

james: 80-69,4.00era (in the toughest division)

grenkie: 85-76,3.80era

so both are real solid but not great. ill take james at 9 and 12 mil the next 2 years over greinke at 5/100++

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/p...nded/order/true

White Sox now have 15 blown saves.

3 ahead of any team in the AL.

We're making the Boston bullpen look good, actually...at least in recent weeks.

We have enough offense, even though it's inconsistent. But teams just can't survive so many blown saves that turn into losses about 75% of the time. It just eats the heart right out of your starters and eventually infects the whole team.

We saw it to start 2011...it's happening again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/p...nded/order/true

White Sox now have 15 blown saves.

3 ahead of any team in the AL.

We're making the Boston bullpen look good, actually...at least in recent weeks.

We have enough offense, even though it's inconsistent. But teams just can't survive so many blown saves that turn into losses about 75% of the time. It just eats the heart right out of your starters and eventually infects the whole team.

We saw it to start 2011...it's happening again.

i dont know what to make of this team. weve seen stretches in which they can look really good but then you see the glaring weaknesses. theres a lot of holes on this team, eventually it just may be too many to overcome

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 04:22 AM)
i dont know what to make of this team. weve seen stretches in which they can look really good but then you see the glaring weaknesses. theres a lot of holes on this team, eventually it just may be too many to overcome

The injuries have caught up with the team. They've done a sensational job of overcoming adversity all year, and I'd be stunned if they didn't perform well this weekend. If they lose tomorrow, there's no reason to be panic yet. Even if Sox only win one game this weekend, they'll go home in first place.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
I'll take JJ Putz and Jonathon Sanchez.

No I actually meant Jonathon Sanchez. I know his numbers are bad and he was just released by the Royals, but maybe Coop can get SOMETHING positive out of him. Plus you won't have to give up anything to get him.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)

that's what happens when you are relying on so many rookies. They are just inconsistent. Another problem showing up is Matt Thornton not getting anyone out on a regular basis.

Sanchez traded to Colorado for Guthrie.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
No I actually meant Jonathon Sanchez. I know his numbers are bad and he was just released by the Royals, but maybe Coop can get SOMETHING positive out of him. Plus you won't have to give up anything to get him.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
$13mill next yr, FA in 2014.

Perfect acquisition, and would be affordable with Peavy's contract off the books and Floyd likely gone. I just hope the Sox are able to keep Quintana in any of these trades.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Lets hope so. Whats his contract look like, anyone?

not sure on him. he has great stuff but hasnt been too good this year but the main thing that worries me about him is that hes so injury prone.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Perfect acquisition, and would be affordable with Peavy's contract off the books and Floyd likely gone. I just hope the Sox are able to keep Quintana in any of these trades.

almost makes TOO much sense...

props to russ for contract info

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
heres something i found about johnson (ignore the whole twins thing)

Classic KW target. Buy low. He has been shaky this year (Fix em' up, Coop?) and the injury problems are well documented. Depending on the price tag I'd say go for it. Can't believe dude is only 28 years old. Seems like hes been around forever now.

Edited by northside sawx

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Johnsons arm worries me.

with the injuries the pitchers have had this year and knowing peavy could get hurt and sale might hit a wall, maybe they would be better off with someone that isnt so injury prone. i wouldnt mind getting him though