AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

justBLAZE

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 01:13 AM)
Got pulled over by the cops for going 82 in a 70 on the way home and didn't get a ticket. So my luck held on dollar hot dog night.

Good win.

So he's at least 16, or 15 with a permit. :lolhitting

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
I did not like Robin putting Hudson in to pinch run for Dunn instead of Danks or Escobar. Why pinch run your slowest bench player there?

And Danks should have caught that ball before he hit the wall. Either his defense is way overrated or he just hasn't played LF much because he sure hasn't impressed me as "the best defensive OFer in the organization" as Hawk calls him.

I think all three are roughly the same speed-wise. O-Dog is a good baserunner, typically, and he was the guy you needed least for defense later in the game.

Danks looks great on defense to me. Look at the replay of that play, he didn't drop it, he just didn't get there.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I was too tired to post last night but...

SEPTIMO!!!!!!!!

The way he got that baserunner out at 2nd base was incredible! :-D

That should help Septimo keep a job in the major league roster's bullpen when it's time to demote someone.

Septimo's spot was pretty safe since he's a lefty.

You saw two things with him last night:

-the dumb things you see rookies do

-the cool things talented kids can do to clean up their own mess

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:13 AM)
Great win.

Great fireworks show.

Some musings. ...

I will say I was completely calm the whole game until Reed sucked. Man I wanted him to get the three-out save, instead of suck.

I never thought Axelrod could do it, but he did. Two innings. Man he was good.

Tank's three-run bomb. So huge.

I was proud of Beckham for serving that hit into rightfield after having a fairly s***ty offensive game.

And really happy Youk hit the sac fly to center after all those foul balls. He's still got it.

I don't understand why Hudson was running so slow on the play he got thrown out at the plate. I hear it was a bad call at home, but he either got a late start or something cause it was pretty obvious he was a dead duck.

Q did not pitch well.

AJ is such a stud. Hits what could have been the game winning hit had it not hopped over the wall.

And he was so mad at that s***ass home plate ump. He gave it to him during the game and after the final out.

That ump SUCKED.

Got pulled over by the cops for going 82 in a 70 on the way home and didn't get a ticket. So my luck held on dollar hot dog night.

Good win.

I love when people at the game think they know about the strike zone, you don't have a damn clue.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:22 AM)
Well you clearly didnt see it but Reed didnt suck.

Reed didn't seem to be really on his game. He was throwing 93 MPH fastballs up there at times and he simply didn't have his slider.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
Danks looks great on defense to me. Look at the replay of that play, he didn't drop it, he just didn't get there.

He might end up being good on defense, but so far, he's been a disaster in the field.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
hy·per·bo·le/hīˈpərbəlē/

Noun:

Exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Has Danks made any good plays defensively since he's been up? He played a huge role in causing the Sox to lose a game to the Dodgers by turning a single into a triple. Last night, it seemed like he wasn't playing deep enough in that situation. He seems more comfortable in CF. The ironic thing is he looks much more competent at the plate than a lot of us thought he would.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
Sure glad you got to go the the game live and see a Sox win. It's always fun to read the posts from folks who get to go to a Sox game and then report to us far flung types

Thanks. it was a great game. Great seats on dollar hot dog night. Saw a Sox fan almost get in a fight with a Royal fan. He woulda got thrown out but he was in the crown seats drunk as hell. The drunk Sox fan was pissed the AJ double didn't score the runner. Funny how ALL the Sox fans I saw at the game who wore jerseys had AJ shirts on. He's one popular mofo. AJ is a stud pure and simple.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
I was too tired to post last night but...

SEPTIMO!!!!!!!!

The way he got that baserunner out at 2nd base was incredible! :-D

That should help Septimo keep a job in the major league roster's bullpen when it's time to demote someone.

He was so pumped when he picked him off. Royals deserved to lose after that blunder. Septimo was running all over the mound area jacked up after the pickoff. Love his enthusiasm. Sox dugout was really into that game as well, nice to see in Kauffman where bad things often happen to Sox.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
I love when people at the game think they know about the strike zone, you don't have a damn clue.

Gee, sorry for voicing my opinion. That ump sucked. Both sides furious as usual. Yost ripped him after the game and AJ tore into his ass. Yost said of Broxton's eight straight balls. "The pitches that were called balls." And yes people sitting in the fifth row right by home plate can have an opinion on balls and strikes. Sounds like you have to work on a Saturday with your "damn clue" grouchy line.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
Reed didn't seem to be really on his game. He was throwing 93 MPH fastballs up there at times and he simply didn't have his slider.

He had a bad outing IMO. He looked very hittable.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
Has Danks made any good plays defensively since he's been up? He played a huge role in causing the Sox to lose a game to the Dodgers by turning a single into a triple. Last night, it seemed like he wasn't playing deep enough in that situation. He seems more comfortable in CF. The ironic thing is he looks much more competent at the plate than a lot of us thought he would.

Danks hasn't had much opportunity in the field first of all, and that ball Francour hit looked gone off the bat. It almost was gone. Danks laid out for that ball and made one hell of an effort. Yes, he made a bad play in LA, but you know that defensive positioning is done from the bench anyway, especially at that point in the game. He was where they told him to be, not that it matters anyway since Francour went down and belted one. I just think "disaster" is a stretch, but I do agree he's looked much better at the plate than I expected. Wouldn't mind seeing him get some more AB's, especially if De Aza's struggles continue.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)

Yea I am pretty sure Danks made a key diving catch a few weeks back when he spot started. Minnesota maybe?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Danks hasn't had much opportunity in the field first of all, and that ball Francour hit looked gone off the bat. It almost was gone. Danks laid out for that ball and made one hell of an effort. Yes, he made a bad play in LA, but you know that defensive positioning is done from the bench anyway, especially at that point in the game. He was where they told him to be, not that it matters anyway since Francour went down and belted one. I just think "disaster" is a stretch, but I do agree he's looked much better at the plate than I expected. Wouldn't mind seeing him get some more AB's, especially if De Aza's struggles continue.

That doubles or prevent defense really didn't help DeAza.

The ball that dropped in front of him, he must have misread it, because it looked like a sure out off the bat.

Still, he's been a lot better recently than in the first 4-6 weeks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)

Danks has made a couple of tough plays look easy by taking very direct lines to balls. I remember one in particular last series against Texas where it was sinking fast and he came and got it when Viciedo wouldn't have been close.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
I wouldn't say there's a huge difference between any of those guys. Danks might have the slight advantage, but Escobar's far from a burner.

When AJ hit that ground rule double, Hudson was flying around the bases. Have no idea why he got such a bad jump on the AJ grounder that he got thrown out at home by Francouer on...it was a fairly slow grounder and he would have been out by miles with a decent and typical Frenchie throw.

We'll probably bring up Mitchell in September just for his speed and pinch-running ability. We miss Lillibridge here the most.

I think what got Hudson was he took a bad angle coming around third and was coming to the plate really wide...might have cost him a couple steps...

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I did not like Robin putting Hudson in to pinch run for Dunn instead of Danks or Escobar. Why pinch run your slowest bench player there?

And Danks should have caught that ball before he hit the wall. Either his defense is way overrated or he just hasn't played LF much because he sure hasn't impressed me as "the best defensive OFer in the organization" as Hawk calls him.

Because you don't want to use your top defensive replacements for a DH. It allowed Ventura to use Danks later to spell Viciedo.