Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
I don't know what I want. I just think it's unfair a whole profession got labeled as scum when I know there are tons of good priests. Basically there are no more priests coming through the U.S. ranks. The profession has been ruined and I think it's unfair because the percentage of abusers is probably similar to the percentage of abusers in all professions where adults are in a position to prey on kids.

Even I would not say that the entire profession is scum. What I would say is that the catholic church turned itself into a criminal enterprise to cover up for the child abusers. That isn't the fault of the individual priests, but it is the fault of a whole lot of people who actively covered things up, the fault of a whole lot of people who turned blind eyes, and of course, the fault of the abusers themselves.

I have trouble believing that the number of incidents the church has seen does not imply that the problem was vastly greater there than in general society. Otherwise there would be very few children who aren't molested. I would be happy to see data if anyone has this.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
I bet neither of us know the definition of "unfair" quite like those kids who were left in the protection of the church. The percentage doesnt matter, these other professions dont try and cover it up, that we know of. And if they do, and get caught, you know damn well they will be ridiculed just the same.

Well the church paid for it because the Catholic Church basically is dead once these aging priests die. There are no young ones coming through the ranks. Individually I agree all the assholes deserve what they get, but as a profession it saddens me that priests are going to soon be extinct and I know priests can do good for a lot of people. I've seen it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
Even I would not say that the entire profession is scum. What I would say is that the catholic church turned itself into a criminal enterprise to cover up for the child abusers. That isn't the fault of the individual priests, but it is the fault of a whole lot of people who actively covered things up, the fault of a whole lot of people who turned blind eyes, and of course, the fault of the abusers themselves.

I have trouble believing that the number of incidents the church has seen does not imply that the problem was vastly greater there than in general society. Otherwise there would be very few children who aren't molested. I would be happy to see data if anyone has this.

Yeah, good post.

It is rare and perhaps unprecedented, however, that actions of a small percentage of people in a profession (I agree one is too many, but ...) kills the profession entirely. And it is a profession that if done right can do good for many people on many levels.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
It is awful. Thing is, there also are many many youth coaches who are abusers. Any positions of power in which an adult can prey on kids, there are abusers.

Actually, we have a real shortage of priests, especially here in Kansas. Churches are having to be merged together and it's pretty awful.

How are your seizures anyway? Has the situation improved at all? Are you having them all the time? Are you on medication that is helping at all? Is the medical community helping or being inefficient about helping you? I'm sure you've heard a lot of stupid stuff regarding your seizures. People should just shut the f*** up and ask you how they can help you in a practical way. Her telling you God will cure your seizures is too simplistic. I mean, yes, if I had the seizures I'd pray they go away but it's wrong to try to convert you in the belief God then will zap away your seizures.

How are you doing? Do you have to go off to college? Are yu gonna be OK?

They're going down. New meds are certainly helping, and the old ones (just recently off of) caused crippling depression. I have heard a lot of stupid things. Heading back to college next week? Should be fine. Who knows? As long as I don't bleed out my face again I should be fine.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
They are already discriminating against Atheists, Muslims, and Jews by being open 6 days a week but not Sunday. The ACLU should file a huge lawsuit to try to force them to be open on Sunday. In fact, the ACLU should file a lawsuit against every single business that isn't open on Christmas and force them all to be open.

If that happens, you can expect ChickFilA to never remain open.

They probably would rather stick to their ideals or not remain open.

Aaaaaaaannd after reading the 2nd page of this thread, I've been had. Very stupid of me.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
If you got that from my post, I presented it wrong. No, not being teased. It's parents not allowing their kids to ever even THINK about the possibility of being a priest because of the mockery of the position now. A priest is a strange pedophile now, case closed. There is something wrong with you if you want to be a priest is the common perception and that is HORRIBLE. My former priest is my life hero and mentor.

A person I knew in grade school and high school went to study as a monk, and eventually became a priest. He followed his calling. I don't find him to be a strange pedophile at all. In fact, none of the people that I know who know him think of him that way. I would love to see some data to prove the point you're trying to make, because it's just so vague and out of left field.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
If the CEO of CFA had no history of donating any money to focus on the family and was apathetic about SSM but came out and said he hated gays the reaction would have been the exact same. GMAB.

If the CEO of Chick-Fil-A had no history of donating money to anti-GLBT causes, he wouldn't be on anyone's radar in the gay community. The truth is, there have been many of us who haven't gone to CFA for years because of their history of supporting anti-gay politicians and causes.

Plus, their chicken is kinda s***ty.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
No, I'm saying the coverage was so intense and the fact nobody ever said this is not a priest issue only but a societal issue (scum of the earth pedophiles are in ALL FIELDS in which they can get to kids) to the point RIGHT NOW you say the words "Catholic priest," you might as well say the word "pedophile." Sad. Today there is no doubt no kid can consider being a priest. It is a bad word to society.

My son could be a priest if he wanted. I respected the priest of the Catholic church in my hometown very much. I would also think my son was wrong about something important, but leading a life trying to help people isn't the worst thing he could do and if he was happy with it, then I'd be happy with it. I know several people contemplating a life as a priest and I don't think less of them.

Priesthood in and of itself doesn't breed pedophilia and I strongly doubt that pedophiles flock to it. The celibacy probably makes it more likely for that side of folks to come out, but again it's got to be so few and far between.

Also, what the hell happened in here? I posted this morning on page 21 and I went back from this page (30 on my settings) and all I've seen for a while is discussion on priesthood.

so....chicken sandwiches?

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
Also, what the hell happened in here? I posted this morning on page 21 and I went back from this page (30 on my settings) and all I've seen for a while is discussion on priesthood.

so....chicken sandwiches?

lol. That's what soxtalk has become. It's politicstalk for the most part. Lame as hell. This is supposed to be a sports board. We could trade for strasburg tomorrow and it wouldn't generate 40 pages of this dumbs***. Most of the posters that live in filibuster rarely ever post in pht. We need to get rid of fili asap. It's a SPORTS board, people.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
lol. That's what soxtalk has become. It's politicstalk for the most part. Lame as hell. This is supposed to be a sports board. We could trade for strasburg tomorrow and it wouldn't generate 40 pages of this dumbs***. Most of the posters that live in filibuster rarely ever post in pht. We need to get rid of fili asap. It's a SPORTS board, people.

Eh, I used to only post in PHT, its just not that enjoyable anymore.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
Uh-oh...

Gordon must be a racist. :D

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)

There is some excellent discussion in this part of the board, far better than some of the other "niche interest" boards that attempt this sort of thing. The plus is it keeps people here, and I'm okay with that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
There is some excellent discussion in this part of the board, far better than some of the other "niche interest" boards that attempt this sort of thing. The plus is it keeps people here, and I'm okay with that.

Actually, the discussion is terrible. In fili, you're allowed to take personal shots at posters because everybody thinks they're right and everybody else is wrong. That's why i stay out of here. i wouldn't last two seconds in here without getting accused of trolling. Then I would get warned by a mod and eventually suspended if i didn't succumb.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Actually, the discussion is terrible. In fili, you're allowed to take personal shots at posters because everybody thinks they're right and everybody else is wrong. That's why i stay out of here. i wouldn't last two seconds in here without getting accused of trolling. Then I would get warned by a mod and eventually suspended if i didn't succumb.

lol well. This thread has had more digressions than most. I read in the 'buster frequently and enjoy most of the discussion. When it turns into what you describe, I just move on to the next thread.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)

Your in the politics sub-forum. Hth.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)

I can't remember the last time someone not named me or y2hh got suspended back here, and that was for a series of f*** yous.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
I can't remember the last time someone not named me or y2hh got suspended back here, and that was for a series of f*** yous.

Every time I've been suspended I knew it was going to happen before I clicked submit the final time. :D

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)
They're going down. New meds are certainly helping, and the old ones (just recently off of) caused crippling depression. I have heard a lot of stupid things. Heading back to college next week? Should be fine. Who knows? As long as I don't bleed out my face again I should be fine.

Yay. Doctors are helping cure you.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)

I'll agree that half the time the discussion is terrible. Greg's actually been enjoyable to talk to in this thread. But some posters who I never see out of this forum, you know their argument before they post.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 06:32 AM)
I'll agree that half the time the discussion is terrible. Greg's actually been enjoyable to talk to in this thread. But some posters who I never see out of this forum, you know their argument before they post.

I wonder if I am a lightning rod for discussion. It seems this season I tend to fire up people more than seasons of the past.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 03:16 AM)
I wonder if I am a lightning rod for discussion. It seems this season I tend to fire up people more than seasons of the past.

:lolhitting

In the Robin Hired thread I think I documented the moment in time where I started arguing with 75% of what you say.

Yeah, you're normally a lightning rod, but this time around you're less of a lightning rod and more of a "Oh s***, now it's raining after the lightning started" type of deal.