Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 02:24 AM)
James Holmes receives life in prison with no possibility of parole on a divided, non-unanimous verdict.

You know what? I do want him removed from the planet ASAP, but in another way I don't mind. First of all the death penalty is against my religion and I'm supposed to follow my religion. But in another way, he'll be in one of those sitautions he gets one hour of sunlight a day. He won't be allowed to be in the general population so basically the next 50 years of his life or 60 years will consist of no contact with humans, except guards. I mean he probably won't even have TV will he? 23 of 24 hours every single day for 50 years in a tiny cell? I can see how that would be worse than death penalty in a way. He deserves to rot. I hope he gets the solitary treatment. Anybody know if that is for certain the case?

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 03:08 AM)
Fwiw, that guy in Norway (Anders something) who killed 69 on that summer youth camp island only got a 21 year sentence...

However, because of how Norway's system works, he will not be out of jail after 21 years, there is some method for renewing that sentence. He will be in jail for life.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
It's more like a reverse parole system, they can extend the sentence indefinitely

Is it basically just reversing the burden of proof? Assume the person is rehabilitated unless the state can prove differently?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
In the world I run, I'd make it much more than that, though. I don't like the idea of letting them off easily, but I also don't like the idea of letting them live. I'd have that 10 gauge hooked up to a machine/computer and have both a video/audio countdown letting the prisoner know exactly when it was going to fire, only when it hits 0, nothing would happen. Then the countdown would reset/repeat and the same thing would happen over and over again until randomly generated time expires and it actually fired. I'd make scum like this live their last moments over and over again until it finally happened on a random number other than 0.

I lack sympathy for those like this...I don't care about them, I don't care if they suffer, I just don't care. He ruined countless lives, for nothing.

That's a pretty good post. A mass murderer in the USA really doesn't have to worry about much. He either gets killed by the cops while committing his crime (which makes him famous thanks to the way we cover these stories in America) or gets life in prison (pretty cushy life unless inmates get to him) or is humanely thrust into the afterlife. Blowing a guy's head off or hanging him would be pretty scary and might deter some of this.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
Fwiw, that guy in Norway (Anders something) who killed 69 on that summer youth camp island only got a 21 year sentence...

Good luck to the people over there if they let him out. I'd make him wear a tracking device at all times so they know where he is and what he's doing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
Good luck to the people over there if they let him out. I'd make him wear a tracking device at all times so they know where he is and what he's doing.

Dude come on, there are literally 3 comments explaining why this is wrong that you ignored.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
That's a pretty good post. A mass murderer in the USA really doesn't have to worry about much. He either gets killed by the cops while committing his crime (which makes him famous thanks to the way we cover these stories in America) or gets life in prison (pretty cushy life unless inmates get to him) or is humanely thrust into the afterlife. Blowing a guy's head off or hanging him would be pretty scary and might deter some of this.

Or make America the equivalent of North Korea, China or a typical Middle Eastern country...

• 6 months later...

Good story about a prisoner in Colorado who got in six or more good punches in on the asshole who entered the theatre in Colorado and murdered innocent people in the most terrifying of ways.

It is disgusting Colorado won't reveal where this bastard currently is incarcerated. THey MUST give this information out.

It's probably sad I think this way, but I'm happy the prisoner beat the s*** out of Holmes. He said he wishes he could have killed Holmes but only beat the crap out of him.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/exclusive-inside-...topstories.html

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Good story about a prisoner in Colorado who got in six or more good punches in on the asshole who entered the theatre in Colorado and murdered innocent people in the most terrifying of ways.

It is disgusting Colorado won't reveal where this bastard currently is incarcerated. THey MUST give this information out.

It's probably sad I think this way, but I'm happy the prisoner beat the s*** out of Holmes. He said he wishes he could have killed Holmes but only beat the crap out of him.

Greg, the State's job is to protect all prisoners who are incarcerated, whether they like them or not. The State of Colorado does not need to, and in fact shouldn't, give out any information regarding Holmes' whereabouts.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 10:55 PM)
Greg, the State's job is to protect all prisoners who are incarcerated, whether they like them or not. The State of Colorado does not need to, and in fact shouldn't, give out any information regarding Holmes' whereabouts.

Citizens have a right to know where criminals are serving their time. It's the public's right to know and the victims right to know. Most states have databases that are easily navigated.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:54 PM)
Citizens have a right to know where criminals are serving their time. It's the public's right to know and the victims right to know. Most states have databases that are easily navigated.

Why does it matter what prison as long as he is indeed in prison? Do you plan on visiting? Trying to get thrown in said jail to get your punches in?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 06:03 AM)
Why does it matter what prison as long as he is indeed in prison? Do you plan on visiting? Trying to get thrown in said jail to get your punches in?

It's very important to the victims. I know this from experience.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)

Not going down gregs path here but I imagined that was public info for due to similar reasons on why the first part of the sixth ammendment exists. I guess once you're actually convicted you lose rights, but still.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:25 PM)
Not going down gregs path here but I imagined that was public info for due to similar reasons on why the first part of the sixth ammendment exists. I guess once you're actually convicted you lose rights, but still.

The first part of the 6th amendment (I assume you're referring to "the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial") is meant to protect the defendant, though. In this situation, the argument is that it actually harms the defendant to have the prison location made public.

Granted, that could be a slippery slope to where the government could "hide" a prisoner by claiming its in the prisoner's best interests.

Why would anybody oppose the public knowing where the bastard is being imprisoned? It is the right of the victims families to follow him during his life. To know where the hell he is being kept.

It's not like we're going to go there and visit him and yell at him. He has to approve visitors and the government asks why in the hell you want to visit? It is a right of all of us and public record to know where he is being kept.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:23 AM)
Why would anybody oppose the public knowing where the bastard is being imprisoned? It is the right of the victims families to follow him during his life. To know where the hell he is being kept.

It's not like we're going to go there and visit him and yell at him. He has to approve visitors and the government asks why in the hell you want to visit? It is a right of all of us and public record to know where he is being kept.

Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby.

Are you against the public knowing where this demon is being housed? If so, why? He's well protected in the penal system.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 02:33 AM)
Are you against the public knowing where this demon is being housed? If so, why? He's well protected in the penal system.

So in the same thread you are telling us he is well protected, you posted a story about someone kicking his ass. No one needs to debate you, we'll just let you debate yourself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
So in the same thread you are telling us he is well protected, you posted a story about someone kicking his ass. No one needs to debate you, we'll just let you debate yourself.

Somebody left a gate open for a second. Wherever he's housed the inmates will know. The public needs to know. Badger?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Somebody left a gate open for a second. Wherever he's housed the inmates will know. The public needs to know. Badger?

So someone knows where he is at, beats the s*** out of him, but he is protected from being attacked if people know where he is at. That might the dumbest thing I have seen you post.