Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
Everything we buy should be closely monitored by the government. Actually, we should receive coupons.

But yeah, we can do better. I just don't like the idea of the government monitoring what people buy. I realize that for some items it is in our best interest.

We don't need no stinkin freedoms...

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy gets arrested at theater in Ohio with a bunch of knives, a loaded Glock handgun, and several loaded additional magazines. Will be charged with about all they can charge him with...carrying a concealed handgun without a permit and carrying a weapon while having a disability.

Had a nice arsenal of a dozen or so guns, few thousand rounds, gas masks, and body armor left at home.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Guy gets arrested at theater in Ohio with a bunch of knives, a loaded Glock handgun, and several loaded additional magazines. Will be charged with about all they can charge him with...carrying a concealed handgun without a permit and carrying a weapon while having a disability.

Had a nice arsenal of a dozen or so guns, few thousand rounds, gas masks, and body armor left at home.

And I just died a little inside.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)

I'm sure we can rehabilitate him in federal prison. Maybe release him in a year or two...all will be well. There is no need to worry about him getting out in relatively short order (which he will) and trying again, possibly successfully next time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
So this guy was about to try to kill a batch of people. It would have been the third such tragedy of this kind in a few weeks. Things are going to hell in our country.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_new...r#ixzz22tFb0gWX

Great job by that employee. Some people would have had the passive attitude about it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
Great job by that employee. Some people would have had the passive attitude about it.

Re-read article. Actual credit goes to off duty police officer. Employee checked the bag and the potential shooter fooled him.

A manager at Crocker Park Regal Cinemas stopped Scott A. Smith, 37, before he was about to enter the 10 p.m. showing of 'The Dark Knight Rises,' and asked to see inside his bag. Smith unzipped and showed the manager an empty side pocket of the bag, according to Westlake police.

Jeremiah Bullins, an off-duty Westlake police officer, potentially prevented tragedy from occurring. He noticed and searched Smith's bag, finding three knives inside, as well as a loaded 9 mm Glock handgun, two additional loaded magazines, and a fourth knife under his clothes. Each magazine had 17 rounds.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
Re-read article. Actual credit goes to off duty police officer. Employee checked the bag and the potential shooter fooled him.

I thought the employee was an off duty police officer. My bad. Still good for someone to take action.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
I think this is a good letter-to-the-editor illustrating the differences in mindset between the US and other cultures:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/lette...0028/story.html

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/colum...4368/story.html

Not just Canada but you could take pretty much any European culture and ask the same question. It's one of the best topcs covered in "Bowling for Columbine".

I think this is a good letter-to-the-editor illustrating the differences in mindset between the US and other cultures:

That cop from Kalamazoo is a f***ing moron.

Edited by LittleHurt05

The best line from the columnist:

I would have liked to ask him why an American visitor to Calgary would treat a friendly encounter in a city park here as if it were a midnight stroll through a drug-dealer infested alley on the south side of Chicago.
Edited by farmteam

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of those random details that are sometimes interesting have come out in the last 2 days. First:

In 2011, the University of Iowa rejected Holmes' graduate application, with one official saying "Do NOT offer admissions under any circumstances," according to documents obtained by CNN.

That's an impressive statement.

The suspected gunman was a doctoral candidate studying neuroscience at the University of Colorado's Anschutz campus in Aurora. But he was "denied access to the school after June 12, 2012, after he made threats to a professor," according to court documents.

And 3:

James Holmes called a University of Colorado switchboard nine minutes before he allegedly opened fire at a movie theater in a Denver suburb on July 20, public defender Tamara Brady said in court Thursday.

The number can be used to get in contact with faculty members during off hours, she said.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
A couple of those random details that are sometimes interesting have come out in the last 2 days. First:

That's an impressive statement.

And 3:

Link

He prolly was going to call the prof to brag about what was about to happen. Holmes already is burning in hell. He's stuck in jail the rest of his life and he's only 24? Ha ha. I'm sure he's bored out of his mind already and he knows if he ever gets out of solitary that he's gonna be raped and beaten and pillaged. Too bad, motherbleeper. You asked for life in prison; u got it. His only hope is to get in a psychiatric hospital where he can prolly watch TV at least for the next 40 years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 12:39 AM)
He prolly was going to call the prof to brag about what was about to happen. Holmes already is burning in hell. He's stuck in jail the rest of his life and he's only 24? Ha ha. I'm sure he's bored out of his mind already and he knows if he ever gets out of solitary that he's gonna be raped and beaten and pillaged. Too bad, motherbleeper. You asked for life in prison; u got it. His only hope is to get in a psychiatric hospital where he can prolly watch TV at least for the next 40 years.

Prison rape is not a punishment for anything and I think it's pathetic that people think somehow that's ok. I don't care what a person did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Prison rape is not a punishment for anything and I think it's pathetic that people think somehow that's ok. I don't care what a person did.

Yes. It's just an awful accepted fact and guards are often the perpetrators in the juvenile facilities.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)

I'm not condoning it but I'm sure as hell happy bored Mr. Holmes has to worry about it every day the rest of his pathetic life. I'm not pointing fingers at Balta, not that he'd care if I did, but I think sometimes people have too much empathy for these pathological bastards. Seriously I wish great harm upon Holmes for all the lives he ruined. I don't want him raped in jail but for him to realize that if he ever gets put in the general population that he'll be raped and beaten ... that's awesome. It's awesome to think he'll be afraid of Bubba raping him, just like the fear he put in all those INNOCENT people in the movie theatre. That bastard.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
I'm not condoning it but I'm sure as hell happy bored Mr. Holmes has to worry about it every day the rest of his pathetic life. I'm not pointing fingers at Balta, not that he'd care if I did, but I think sometimes people have too much empathy for these pathological bastards. Seriously I wish great harm upon Holmes for all the lives he ruined. I don't want him raped in jail but for him to realize that if he ever gets put in the general population that he'll be raped and beaten ... that's awesome. It's awesome to think he'll be afraid of Bubba raping him, just like the fear he put in all those INNOCENT people in the movie theatre. That bastard.

I am sickened by the fact that you would be happy about rape. It viscerally disgusts me.

I do not care one iota what your excuse is. It should not happen in our country. It is absolutely pathetic. and there is zero defense for wanting it or condoning it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
I am sickened by the fact that you would be happy about rape. It viscerally disgusts me.

I do not care one iota what your excuse is. It should not happen in our country. It is absolutely pathetic. and there is zero defense for wanting it or condoning it.

Don't you read before you post???!!! I said I am happy he'll FEAR his getting raped every day of his life. I repeat do you read??? I expect an apology.

To make it clear ... again ... I want this bastard to be afraid every day of his life, to fear the fact if he's put in general population he'll be beaten, pillaged, raped. He KILLED a ton of people and ruined lives of many more. I never said I wanted this piece of scum raped. I said I am glad he will fear this harsh reality.

Give me a f***ing break please.

Are you saying you want this guy to leave in a happy mental state the rest of his life? I am assuming you do not feel that way, but I read posts before I insult people.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Don't you read before you post???!!! I said I am happy he'll FEAR his getting raped every day of his life. I repeat do you read??? I expect an apology. I want this bastard to be afraid every day of his life. He KILLED a ton of people and ruined lives of many more. I never said I wanted this piece of scum raped. Give me a f***ing break please.

No. I will not.

Your position disgusts me.

"He should fear being raped" is not an appropriate reaction or response to this. It is beneath us as human beings.

Your only justification for that is that you want him to feel fear like he made other people feel. That is a terrible justification. It is no excuse for tolerating prison rape in the first place, treating it like a joke, or in any way treating it like an appropriate response to anything.

The only way a person would legitimately fear prison rape is if...there's a reasonable chance of prison rape. It should NEVER occur in this country. We're better than that as a people. We wrote that into our constitution in amendment 8.

You want punishment for him? Fine. He will be, based on our system. He will probably be put to death, eventually.

Wanting him to fear prison rape is simply a disgusting, unjustifiable desire for revenge at a sickening level. Deal with him like a civilized person.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
No. I will not.

Your position disgusts me.

"He should fear being raped" is not an appropriate reaction or response to this. It is beneath us as human beings.

Your only justification for that is that you want him to feel fear like he made other people feel. That is a terrible justification. It is no excuse for tolerating prison rape in the first place, treating it like a joke, or in any way treating it like an appropriate response to anything.

The only way a person would legitimately fear prison rape is if...there's a reasonable chance of prison rape. It should NEVER occur in this country. We're better than that as a people. We wrote that into our constitution in amendment 8.

You want punishment for him? Fine. He will be, based on our system. He will probably be put to death, eventually.

Wanting him to fear prison rape is simply a disgusting, unjustifiable desire for revenge at a sickening level. Deal with him like a civilized person.

All I can say is I strongly disagree with everything you just wrote. Are we talking about a man who killed nine people 10 people or whatever he did? I will not deal with him as a civilized person. He is not civilized. And to make it clear I don't want him brutalized physically ... but to fear that??? Hell yeah.

I know a woman, one of my best friends, who was murdered when she was 24 by a scumbag piece of s*** who is serving life. I want the same for that bastard, to fear every day the rest of his life as he made her fear before he killed her and after he raped her. And if you are thinking I'm making this up, I can give you a name of a book to read about this scumbag who killed 4 women in Kansas, including my friend.

I strongly disagree with your position. You are disgusted with my stance? I am with yours equally. And for you to not apologize after accusing me of wanting somebody raped? I am horrified.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
All I can say is I strongly disagree with everything you just wrote. Are we talking about a man who killed nine people 10 people or whatever he did? I will not deal with him as a civilized person. He is not civilized. And to make it clear I don't want him brutalized physically ... but to fear that??? Hell yeah.

I know a woman, one of my best friends, who was murdered when she was 24 by a scumbag piece of s*** who is serving life. I want the same for that bastard, to fear every day the rest of his life as he made her fear before he killed her and after he raped her.

I strongly disagree with your position. You are disgusted with my stance? I am with yours equally. And for you to not apologize after accusing me of wanting somebody raped? I am horrified.

No I will not apologize. You are the one who said you want him to fear being raped in prison, yet you yourself cannot come forward and say that you think prison rape should happen. So basically, either you want him to fear something that never ever happens, or you are happy to look the other way when it happens and feel that your conscience is clear.

If you want to say that he should fear being raped, then come forward and tell me why you think prison rape is ok and should be encouraged. Otherwise, you're demanding that he be kept in fear of something that never happens, which is just silly.

Either you endorse prison rape so that he fears it or you believe its a bad thing. Take your pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 08:25 PM)
No I will not apologize. You are the one who said you want him to fear being raped in prison, yet you yourself cannot come forward and say that you think prison rape should happen. So basically, either you want him to fear something that never ever happens, or you are happy to look the other way when it happens and feel that your conscience is clear.

If you want to say that he should fear being raped, then come forward and tell me why you think prison rape is ok and should be encouraged. Otherwise, you're demanding that he be kept in fear of something that never happens, which is just silly.

Either you endorse prison rape so that he fears it or you believe its a bad thing. Take your pick.

You assume so much in that post it is not worth my effort to educate you any more. I told you I don't endorse his being raped. I told you I want him to fear being raped. That's pretty cut and dried. You accused me of wanting somebody raped, being happy about somebody being raped, which is not the case. You won't apologize for it. Good for you. You get the last word with your refusal to apologize. You win. On to the next topic.

Edited by greg775