Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
It's really hard to get it fixed too...because virtually no one is willing to stand up for the rights of prisoners to not be raped...because that involves standing up for the rights of prisoners. Most politicians get elected calling for tougher treatment of prisoners, not sympathy for them.

Yeah but if this is going on in juvenile faciliites, cmon. Nobody wants juveniles thrashed while they are in the detention facility. The animals allowing this behavior need to go to jail.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
Why the hell aren't the people committing these crimes in juvenile facilities arrested and charged? Are these facilities being run by out of control animals? There are laws out there and if these facilities are all corrupt ... WTF is going on???? Get this problem fixed!

Guards are sometimes the culprit.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Consider it an incentive to not break laws. What more can you do? Nothing. Because you will continue electing the same people anyway. :P

Senator Webb (D-VA) has actually made pushing prison reform one of his priorities. There's a bill out there that would be a start...Prison reform bill,, that would do the usual "Blue Ribbon commission" to evaluate prison reform options, which would almost certainly have to deal with the issue of prison rape, in addition to the other problems of violence, racial disparities, etc.

That bill, of course, has been stuck in the Senate, most recently failing 57-43. Yes, that's failing, 57 in favor, 43 against. At this point, if you can't figure out the parties on each side...well, not much else I can say.

So yeah, I'm content to continue voting for the people I'm voting for, because they actually have tried to act on the issue.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
Senator Webb (D-VA) has actually made pushing prison reform one of his priorities. There's a bill out there that would be a start...Prison reform bill,, that would do the usual "Blue Ribbon commission" to evaluate prison reform options, which would almost certainly have to deal with the issue of prison rape, in addition to the other problems of violence, racial disparities, etc.

That bill, of course, has been stuck in the Senate, most recently failing 57-43. Yes, that's failing, 57 in favor, 43 against. At this point, if you can't figure out the parties on each side...well, not much else I can say.

So yeah, I'm content to continue voting for the people I'm voting for, because they actually have tried to act on the issue.

Now, did you actually read the bill? Is it a typical new style bill where one sentence is slipped in there somewhere that does something unrelated to "prison reform"? Or is this is really well written prison reform bill that will actually work?

I don't know, because I haven't read it, or heard why people are voting no on it...

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Now, did you actually read the bill? Is it a typical new style bill where one sentence is slipped in there somewhere that does something unrelated to "prison reform"? Or is this is really well written prison reform bill that will actually work?

I don't know, because I haven't read it, or heard why people are voting no on it...

It establishes a commission to investigate and provide recommendations on prison reform, the 14 member bipartisan panel of experts sort of thing, provides it funds, etc. Had the support of a large number of organizations, including the council of mayors.

The stated reasoning by the Republicans is that it is inappropriate for the Federal Government to do anything regarding state/local prisons, with the usual fool or two calling it unconstitutional (Coburn, in this case). Of course, since it would only go so far as to establish a commission to make recommendations, the bill itself wouldn't do anything to change the prisons, but hopefully could provide some plausible roadmaps to improvements, many of which would likely save money.

Basically, it's a stand by 1 party to protect the status quo, as usual. Probably with a sprinkling of the "We can't let the Democrats pass anything" thrown in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
It establishes a commission to investigate and provide recommendations on prison reform, the 14 member bipartisan panel of experts sort of thing, provides it funds, etc. Had the support of a large number of organizations, including the council of mayors.

The stated reasoning by the Republicans is that it is inappropriate for the Federal Government to do anything regarding state/local prisons, with the usual fool or two calling it unconstitutional (Coburn, in this case). Of course, since it would only go so far as to establish a commission to make recommendations, the bill itself wouldn't do anything to change the prisons, but hopefully could provide some plausible roadmaps to improvements, many of which would likely save money.

Basically, it's a stand by 1 party to protect the status quo, as usual. Probably with a sprinkling of the "We can't let the Democrats pass anything" thrown in.

Just did some quick research on it and I see nothing wrong with it, but that was all of 5 minutes of reading. That said, from what I read, some of the republicans issues on this bill is that it treads on states rights? I don't know how, but I haven't had time to look further into it.

...and 4 republicans voted for it, apparently.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
I, for one, do not care at all about prison rape.

Oof, you're gonna burn in hell for that belief.*

*I do not condone the act of setting people on fire as a justifiable punishment, nor do I hope that you fear such a punishment. I should be lashed for bringing up the possibility.**

**Same goes for lashing as punishment!

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
I, for one, do not care at all about prison rape.

How come? Some people in this thread are going to be mighty mad at you. As a police officer, pls. explain. Ever since you said u were a cop I'm afraid of Milkman. Cops scare me. But I respect their authority.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 04:27 AM)
Greg, do you, right now, as you are reading this post, fear being raped? Why or why not?

Not really. But I guess if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time a kook like Dahmer could get you. That's kinda scary thought.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 12:52 AM)
Not really. But I guess if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time a kook like Dahmer could get you. That's kinda scary thought.

You're probably not scared about getting raped because people aren't raping you all the time. See how that works?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 05:56 AM)
You're probably not scared about getting raped because people aren't raping you all the time. See how that works?

What do u think of Milkman not caring about prison rape? Why am I the one singled out here just cause I hate Holmes?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 11:07 PM)
What do u think of Milkman not caring about prison rape? Why am I the one singled out here just cause I hate Holmes?

Milkman flat-out said he doesn't care about prison rape, but you've been trying to weasel around saying that's what you think, and what you're saying is completely incoherent. But name one person who actually "supports" Holmes.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 03:59 AM)
Milkman flat-out said he doesn't care about prison rape, but you've been trying to weasel around saying that's what you think, and what you're saying is completely incoherent. But name one person who actually "supports" Holmes.

Why do some people on this board "assume" things? I listed my position about 20 times and still you think I don't care about prison rape. I don't want people breaking the law. Case closed. People on this board try to make Greg a demon. I think it's great Holmes fears rape and getting beaten if and when he ever sees general population. I don't want him killed in prison as Dahmer was, however. I just want him to fear bad things.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 02:36 AM)
Why do some people on this board "assume" things? I listed my position about 20 times and still you think I don't care about prison rape. I don't want people breaking the law. Case closed. People on this board try to make Greg a demon. I think it's great Holmes fears rape and getting beaten if and when he ever sees general population. I don't want him killed in prison as Dahmer was, however. I just want him to fear bad things.

Except...it continues to be nonsense to expect people to fear things that are against the law (like being beaten or raped in prison) unless you endorse things that are against the law happening.

He also will never have to fear being beaten. If anyone ever laid a finger on him, it could cost the prosecution the chance at the death penalty. He'll be one case where the guards actually make sure nothing happens to him, until he gets a needle in his arm.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Prison rape makes me LOL. I hope all prisoners get raped 24/7.

Are u serious or is this a joke? If u are serious I continue to be amazed why I'm the only demon in this thread.