Sox trade for Brett Myers

flavum

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
Um, I guess I'll say it because nobody else has. The dude literally punched his wife in the face. I hate women. But c'mon now. I ain't supportin' this dude. This is a terrible transaction.

Even if you're joking that doesn't make you sound much better haha

Myers is in the final year of his contract, but he has a vesting option that could guarantee his $10 million option next season if he appears in a certain amount of games. Rosenthal reported in June that the best estimate would be between 40 and 50 games, because the Astros reworked his contract when they converted him from a starter to closer before the season.

The move makes sense for the White Sox, who have the third-worst bullpen ERA in the American League. Rookie Addison Reed, the team’s closer for most of the season, has a 4.24 ERA and has converted 15 of 18 save opportunities.

SI.com (Rosenthal)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Doesn't Myers' 10 million dollar option automatically kick in if he finishes 16 more games? For that reason, I doubt he's going to replace Reed.

It's not clear whether it's finishes/closes or just appears in....from the looks of it, it's 40-50 appearances.

That must have been something that KW and Luhnow discussed in terms of future payroll obligations.

OR, KW really has grave concerns about Reed and just picked up a $10 million veteran closer for 2013, the antithesis of the youth movement in the pen.

That really makes the money tight for AJ, Youkilis, Floyd and another starter for next year. Only 2 of those 4 will fit.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
It's not clear whether it's finishes/closes or just appears in....from the looks of it, it's 40-50 appearances.

That must have been something that KW and Luhnow discussed in terms of future payroll obligations.

OR, KW really has grave concerns about Reed and just picked up a $10 million veteran closer for 2013, the antithesis of the youth movement in the pen.

That really makes the money tight for AJ, Youkilis, Floyd and another starter for next year. Only 2 of those 4 will fit.

Which is why it's very unlikely he'll be made the closer.

I'd totally hit a woman in the face too. Like if she kidnapped my children and superglued my penis to my stomach and bankrupted me and gave my mother a heart attack.

but I digress, if this helps the team then I'm all for it.

Northsidesawx, it's on the borderline of something that's hard to excuse.

We wouldn't be saying "relax" if it was rape or something like the Sandusky case...but it's going to be very polarizing for the fanbase. Some won't accept him no matter what, others will be more forgiving if he goes out and performs.

If it was your sister or relative who was beaten up, you might feel differently. I read the "PR spin/feel good" story earlier in the thread, but that doesn't necessarily make it the truth.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Cool. I'm going to punch my GF in the face. Hopefully she'll be spineless and not press charges like Brett's wife. After a few years, it will be like it never happened.

Yeah, cause I was totally dignifying what he did.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
I'd totally hit a woman in the face too. Like if she kidnapped my children and superglued my penis to my stomach and bankrupted me and gave my mother a heart attack.

but I digress, if this helps the team then I'm all for it.

I idolize Barry Bonds. One of the biggest dicks of all time. But there's a limit.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)

Picking up a $10 million option for a 32 year old reliever of Myers' caliber would be completely inexcusable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Which is why it's very unlikely he'll be made the closer.

• Brett Myers, Astros - $10MM option vests with 45 games finished or based on a points system. Myers has finished 23 of the club's 70 games and is a trade candidate. If he continues to close, the option seems likely to vest.

If Reed fails again soon, there might be no other choice. And the other thing to consider is they're already going to be paying him $3 million NOT to close...a little bit like the issue of filling Peavy's spot in the rotation with his $4 million buyout.

• Edited by caulfield12